PDA

View Full Version : Proudest moment in the Corps

Barret
06-24-06, 05:52 PM
If some of you Marines don't mind answering my thread, What were some of your greatest/proudest Moment in the Corps?

Wyoming
06-25-06, 08:34 AM
If some of you Marines don't mind answering my thread, What were some of your greatest/proudest Moment in the Corps?

Most Marines I know don't go around tooting their own horn.

Deeds and actions suffice for words.

Graduating MCRD or OCS would rank quite high.

Phantom Blooper
06-25-06, 09:26 AM
Toot...Tooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer: :evilgrin:

Wyoming
06-25-06, 09:32 AM

Hey Bloop, you passing gas?

You best go check your skivvies.:banana:

marinegreen
06-25-06, 09:42 AM

1st and foremost is: Earning the title of MARINE and to walk the walk,talk the talk of a MARINE, wearing a uniform with pride knowing that alot out there wished they could.After all these yrs of being out to still be able to carry that title and pride.:usmc:

Phantom Blooper
06-25-06, 10:04 AM
Hey Bloop, you passing gas?

You best go check your skivvies.:banana:

Some days the fizz,the fuzz,the super-poot,the rip tear a$$ and the moose call are hell! I like to hear the serenading beat of a good tune from the Drum & Bugle Corps or a fast march.

But with the price of fuel it makes a great alternative!

As far as the skivvies go that DEPENDS!

Marine84
06-25-06, 02:20 PM
HAHAHAHA - you guys.....................

I think graduating bootcamp would pretty much cover it with all of us cause you don't get to wear that Eagle, Globe and Anchor til that day.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-25-06, 09:50 PM
Most Marines will say that it is earning the Title of Marine I would guess. Not that I don't agree 100%, but I will give another time I was proud.

We had a Marine that just didn't "get it". He was late to formation, his uniform wasn't squared away properly, he would often fail field day inspection, he didn't know how to perfom the duties required of him in his MOS. Just one of the 10% in general. I decided to take him on as a project. After weeks and weeks of getting nowhere, things just seemed to click. All of a sudden he looked better than most Marines in the platoon, he took pride in learning how to be a better Marine. Several months later, our platoon sent him up for the Marine of the Quarter board, just as a way to reward him for his turn around. Nobody thought anything of it. Well, he won at the first two levels and ended up getting a meritorious mast put in his records. The look on his face when he received the award was second, only to being called a Marine for the first time.

semperfiman
06-25-06, 10:01 PM
11 may 71 graduation day TODAY I AM A MARINE

outlaw3179
06-26-06, 12:49 AM
Up on the reaper during the Eagle , Globe and Anchor ceremony.

Old Marine
06-26-06, 08:13 AM
I would have to say that the day I graduated from D.I. School was my best moment.

Right behind that is when I was given a retirement parade at MCRD, San Diego. Lots of tears on that day. (Yea, Marines do have tear ducts)

Barret
06-26-06, 02:36 PM
I will say that a Graduation of a service member is one of the Most emotionally Tense times I've ever experienced. When My dad retired as an E-9 (Navy), You could feel the room swamped with intensity.

Korling
06-27-06, 10:28 AM
Earning the title (boot camp graduation day) very high!

For me, the proudest moments were final formations we would have as a Detachment back in Hawaii from 6 months in Korea (did that 3x). They were sad moments (det came to an end), happy moments (det came to an end!) and proud moments (job well done kinda thing). They were subtle moments, but they were good ones!

Camper51
06-27-06, 11:01 AM
It's gotta be Graduation day at boot camp. Earning the title Marine and the Eagle, Globe and Anchor is a feeling that can't be beat and will NEVER, EVER be forgotten...

matrix
06-27-06, 01:51 PM
First of all Completeing basic training and winning company iorn man contest. I also was the company highest shooter on the rifle range.
2nd. When I earned the rank of E-4. My father who was on active duty at the time was an E-8. Pinned on my rank.
3rd. Being accepted into warrant officer school and comming out 2nd in my class.
4th. marring My wife who at the time was top's daughter. now we have three sons. and they are my greatest accomplishments in life.

Semper Fi
Matrix

lovdog
06-27-06, 05:27 PM
Last qualification day - Advanced Infantry Training at LeJune - 10 mile forced march - you had to cross the line - then you were done!! Its been so long ago that I can't remember the guys name - but he developed pneumonia pretty bad & couldn't hardly get his breath let alone run another 4 miles to finish. We came up on him, he was bent over gasping for air - he begged us to help him finish the run & not let him drop. Me and another guy put his arms over our shoulders & ran the rest of the way - carrying him - his legs stopped moving the last mile.
We all crossed the line exhausted in a crumpled heap and they called the ambulance for him. We parted ways with a handshake and he thanked us for helping him. The Troop Handler agreed that he in fact did cross the line and would not be sent back to another company - he finished with all of us.
I guess thats where the old saying comes from " You're only as fast as your slowest man"!! And, remember this well - never let your comrades behind!!
This is what makes the Marines different from other branches of the service. Most medals for valor are "won" by Marines helping other Marines. Its not for the praise they receive - its because its the "right" thing to do!! SF