PDA

View Full Version : CLS makes every logistics Marine a life saver

thedrifter
06-24-06, 07:49 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (June 23, 2006) -- In a combat situation, every Marine knows anything can happen. With Marines continuously rotating in and out of Iraq, extra medical training is a precaution that a select few Marines with 2nd Marine Logistics Group are willing to take on.

The hospital corpsmen of 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group are teaching a Combat Lifesaver Course designed to give Marines that extra medical training.

"When the Marines come in on Monday they are a basic Marine. When they leave five days later they are a certified corpsman assistant," said Petty Officer 2nd Class Joe Roe, a field corpsman with 2nd Medical Bn. "If a doc goes down in a combat situation, these Marines can step up and take his place."

This program is designed to train the entire 2nd MLG and ideally there will be one combat lifesaver every 15 Marines.

"We teach basic combat lifesaving techniques to about 30 Marines at a time," explained Roe. "We do everything from evaluations to practical applications."

The sailors also introduce real life combat scenarios where Marines are timed on their work during a trauma case, said the Akron, Ohio, native.

Roe knows from experience the importance of training Marines on basic lifesaving skills.

"If it wasn't for the training I gave my Marines in Iraq, I might not be here today," Roe said. "I was wounded by an (improvised explosive device) and my Marines performed the initial lifesaving techniques before I was med-evaced."

Even the instructors themselves felt confident in the skills they were giving the Marines.

"At any time, these Marines can step up and take the docs job. Just like they feel safe when I'm around, I feel safe when they're around," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Domique A. Crumbley, a CLS instructor and casualty evacuation corpsman with the battalion.

The students even had a positive response to the material they were receiving.

"This training is very, very important and every Marine should have it," said Cpl. Christopher J. Vaile, a motor transportation operator and Baltimore native with Combat Logistics Battalion 5, Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd MLG. "It's a great class."

For more information on setting up training contact the S-3 shop at 2nd Medical Bn.

Ellie