PDA

View Full Version : Honor Grad

WannabeAT
06-23-06, 10:21 PM
Hello everybody. I am aiming towards becoming the honor grad and platoon guide. I was wondering if any Marines and/or honor grads had any tips they could give me. I have been working on all the parts of the PFT and learning as much about the Marine Corps as I can. I also have a friend who gave me the book you get in boot camp (the Green Monster or something I think it's called). I've been reading that ALOT. Anything else I can do? Also is it good to volunteer at boot camp or not? I've heard "lay low" but it doesn't seem like that would get you noticed at all and people have also said that you want to volunteer if you want a leadership position so you will stand out. So if the drill instructors ask for volunteers, I should say "This recruit volunteers, ma'am"? Sorry, a lot of questions. Thanks to anyone who replies.

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 10:41 PM
Hello everybody. I am aiming towards becoming the honor grad and platoon guide. I was wondering if any Marines and/or honor grads had any tips they could give me. I have been working on all the parts of the PFT and learning as much about the Marine Corps as I can. I also have a friend who gave me the book you get in boot camp (the Green Monster or something I think it's called). I've been reading that ALOT. Anything else I can do? Also is it good to volunteer at boot camp or not? I've heard "lay low" but it doesn't seem like that would get you noticed at all and people have also said that you want to volunteer if you want a leadership position so you will stand out. So if the drill instructors ask for volunteers, I should say "This recruit volunteers, ma'am"? Sorry, a lot of questions. Thanks to anyone who replies.

Your information is pretty much right on. You have to stand out to become Guide. Honor Grad though is up for debate as to how one gets that. Each Marine may have a different take due to their experience in boot camp. In my platoon in '79 - the guy who got Honor Grad I don't believe deserved it. He didn't stand out, he was simply the SDI's favorite. Again, others will disagree with me, but I can only give you my honest take.

WannabeAT
06-23-06, 10:46 PM
Hopefully, that doesn't happen in my platoon. Even if I don't get it, I at least want someone who deserves it more than me to get it, not just the favorite. Thanks for taking the time to reply and confirming the info.

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 10:57 PM
Hopefully, that doesn't happen in my platoon. Even if I don't get it, I at least want someone who deserves it more than me to get it, not just the favorite. Thanks for taking the time to reply and confirming the info.

Mine may have been an isolated incident. It was an odd time back then.

marinegreen
06-23-06, 11:10 PM
It depends on what type of person your DI wants,he could be tall,built like a fire hydrant, carrys hisself well from the get go. About 1/2 way thru a friend who went in with me got honors man, the previous guide was short and stocky but kinda dumb and he just plain pi**ed the Sr. off so along comes my kiss-arsed buddy, I think what might of helped was he showed he had the nads.We were out on the obstacle course doing bends and whoopies for an hr. or so when he stands up and yells out, sir the pvt hates these fuqing excercises sir, to which we all thought this ignorant muther is gonna be why we'll be out here all night, but much to our surprise the Sr. says is that right pvt. myers and the next thing I know we stopped.It might have been that or who knows maybe his ole man sent the Sr. some $$$. My bud was no dummy but there were guys who were brainy acks and did better on the PFT but the Sr. liked him for some reason, I heard that there last names were about the same so you'll just have to wait till you get there and see what happens.

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 11:19 PM
It depends on what type of person your DI wants,he could be tall,built like a fire hydrant, carrys hisself well from the get go. About 1/2 way thru a friend who went in with me got honors man, the previous guide was short and stocky but kinda dumb and he just plain pi**ed the Sr. off so along comes my kiss-arsed buddy, I think what might of helped was he showed he had the nads.We were out on the obstacle course doing bends and whoopies for an hr. or so when he stands up and yells out, sir the pvt hates these fuqing excercises sir, to which we all thought this ignorant muther is gonna be why we'll be out here all night, but much to our surprise the Sr. says is that right pvt. myers and the next thing I know we stopped.It might have been that or who knows maybe his ole man sent the Sr. some $$$. My bud was no dummy but there were guys who were brainy acks and did better on the PFT but the Sr. liked him for some reason, I heard that there last names were about the same so you'll just have to wait till you get there and see what happens.

Same-same! Maybe mine is not so isolated!

christine_06
06-24-06, 12:52 PM
My friend went up for company commander this week. You basically know what you have to do to get Plt. guide, make sure you stand out in a good way and after you've finished your task help others finish thiers, give 110% at all times, and do your best. It also depends on what the Drill Instructor is looking for. good luck.