PDA

View Full Version : Marines in Peactime?

Barret
06-23-06, 04:56 PM
What do Marines do when We're not at war? Train (PT,Marksmanship)?I'm most interested in what MOS' like Infantary do in times of Peace.

His_angel
06-23-06, 05:30 PM
My MOS was Aviation Ordnance. During peace time the pilots had to maintain a certain number of flight hours to maintain their status. Their training included having ordnance loaded. So during peace time we loaded "dummy ordnance" most of the time. So we would load and arm the dummy ordnance. {Dummy ordnance being non-explosive, non-working, inert types that were simulated to allow the pilot to have experience.} When the aircraft landed sometimes it was just a matter of putting a pin back in place to simulate disarming. Usually it was putting a pin back in place, unloading and storing the dummy ordnance. On certain occasions we were loading and the pilots were using live ordnance. So when the aircraft returned it was a matter of loading more ordnance for the next flight. There was also training on new ordnance, retraining, trouble shooting, maintenance, and cleaning. It's been a while but there was a lot to do even in peace time.

We also went on deployments. During peace time while stationed in Kaneohe Bay some of the deployments I went on were Yuma AZ, Nellis NV, Iwikuni and Okinawa Japan. We also had pt, field day, rifle range qualifications, and such.

Not Infantry, I know. But we were always kept busy. During Desert Shield/Storm we worked much longer hours, didn't have to worry about pt, field day and rifle range. And there was no dummy ordnance. Everything was loaded, dropped and loaded again.

Angel

bigdog43701
06-23-06, 06:57 PM
when out contry is at "peace" Marine 03's train for the next armed conflict. you tarin and train and train until you can do all the swuad movements in your sleep. by doing this Marines are better prepared to fight future wars and come out on top. just because politicians say we are at peace don't mean squat, train to win.

Marine84
06-23-06, 09:55 PM
And I worked on the racks that Angel hung them bombs on. My deployments consisted of doing what Angel did all the time- did you HATE Yuma or what? I know I did! 100 some odd degree weather in that bomb dump - WHEW!

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 11:11 PM
And I worked on the racks that Angel hung them bombs on. My deployments consisted of doing what Angel did all the time- did you HATE Yuma or what? I know I did! 100 some odd degree weather in that bomb dump - WHEW!

I *loved* Yuma! But yeah, it did get hot didn't it? I used to make fun of the guys with those cowboy hats - until the summer came - and you could literally fry an egg on your car.

I bought a cowboy hat!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-24-06, 08:00 PM
Yuma is almost great. I made it to three WTI's (the one at the end of summer/fall), and I went just after a double CAX. Nothing like walking around filthy and dirty from the field on an air base. Outside the PX we were stopped and asked why our uniforms were dirty, our boots weren't shined, and why we were wearing our 782 gear. I was really surprised at the question, but it made good conversation at the E-club later that night. (Too bad they changed that place, it could rival the notorious "Jonnies Other Place" out in town at times.) I guess they weren't used to seeing Marines fresh from the field too often.