PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding age

ScottDC99
06-22-06, 03:46 PM
I am 29 years old and up until Monday was in the process of enlisting in the U.S. Navy to become a Corpsman. So at work on Monday, two young Marines came in to my workplace and we started chatting about things, which lead to one of them asking me if I ever considered joining the Marine Corps. It was kind of ironic, because I had just begun my dealings with the Navy due to the fact that the listed cut off age for active duty Marines is 28 years old. I understand there are waivers, but these two Marines (they were MPs, not recruiters) said that my age of 29 would be no problem at all since I am in good physical condition. It made sense, but they also said a few things that made me believe that they didn't really know what they were talking about in regards to enlistment and the age issue (they were both 19 years old).

I gave the guys my information and they said that a recruiter would call me or to stop by the sub-station when I got a chance. I haven't received a call, and I certainly plan on going by the station very soon, but I was wondering if any of you active duty Marines could enlighten me regarding this issue. Now I understand that the Marine RESERVES have a cut off age of 29, but I'm wanting active duty Marine corps. Thanks in advance.

ScottDC99
06-22-06, 06:24 PM
lol. 20 views but no replies.

Marine84
06-22-06, 09:25 PM
The first thing you must learn grasshoppa is that you must first try to find things on your own first - then as a last resort ask us. A lot of us that come through here have been out so long that the regs have changed and we already know we're too old to get back in. There will be an AD Marine come through here and will be better able to answer your question sooner or later.

marinegreen
06-22-06, 09:38 PM
ScottD,pretty sure the cut off is 32 yrs. of age.Get your arse to the MARINE recruiters office and tell em,WHERE DO I SIGN.............

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-23-06, 12:09 AM
You may be past the cut-off age, but just about everything is eligible for a waiver. The only way you can get the right answer is to talk to a recruiter, because we have no way of knowing what directives they are receiving right now. But, if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.

ScottDC99
06-23-06, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to speak with the recruiter on Tuesday. I understand that the recruiter is the surefire route to find out the answer, but I was just trying to get an idea from Marines prior to my contacting the recruiter. I don't want to talk to a recruiter on the phone (did that a billion times in high school) because I know they are salesmen and are going to to try to get me in the office ASAP, which is fine..... but I don't put it past them telling me something and then springing something else upon me once I get there.

And Marinegreen, I plan on doing exactly what you said. I'm even bringing gym clothes because I'm going to tell the recruiter(s) that I want to take the Initial Strength Test right there, right now.

Thanks again Marines, You've all been great help.

cplbrooks
07-01-06, 01:51 PM
i went to bootcamp with a guy that was 31. He got a waiver.