PDA

View Full Version : I have something to say

theoaj34
06-22-06, 03:34 PM
To all Marines,

My friend who I've known all my life was dismissed from his University that he attended which was a few weeks ago, and he told me that he was going to join the Marine Corps. When I asked him why he said there was nothing else to do. I got so f@#$ing ****ed I hit him and got in a little fight because he's never talked about joining the military and it seems that if he joins now it would be such cop out. My brother whos in Iraq right now wanted it so bad his whole life it was like acid in his mouth, and all the other Marines i've spoken to they all said that it was their dream to join. I told my friend that if he joined it be like joining only to have something to do. I hope someone can back me up on this one so I could maybe show him your responces so I don't have to apologize for the few punches to the face I gave him.

Smalcom
06-22-06, 03:39 PM
Uhmmmmmm.

Marine84
06-22-06, 03:50 PM
Just let him know that it's more of a committment than that - what will he do when he gets tired of "just doing something"? It ain't like he'll be able to just pack his bag and leave - well, he could but he'll always be looking over his shoulder to see if MPs are coming for him.

outlaw3179
06-22-06, 04:01 PM
Every Marine joins for their own personal reasons. and how do you know he has never thought about it before, how do you know he never brought it up before because friends like you would talk ****. He might say that, but if hes even considering it , its because hes thought about long before he told you. And if hes considering it , how come hes not considering the army, or the nasty guard or something if theres nothing else to do?

lovdog
06-22-06, 05:32 PM
There are quite a few that "talk" about joining the Marines - its another thing to actually do it!! Maybe your friend's reasoning may be a little weak, but who knows what the future may bring? And, some of the biggest A*sholes that walked the planet actually turned into some pretty good friends - as welll as Marines. We all know that to be true!!

His_angel
06-22-06, 05:38 PM
I thought about it for about it for about 10 months. Though I was thinking more "Marine Corps" I did also talk to other recruiters. It was the attitude of those who told me "You won't make it through boot camp" that helped affirm my decision. So go for it. Go ahead and **** him off. Get him good and friggin mad at you. Because in the end he can turn around and use it as *part* of his own motivation.

Angel

Tallboot
06-22-06, 05:57 PM
He probably thinks that because, well he doesnt know what hes getting into ... hell i even dont, im really MOTO, but how about when im not? Some people join Military because they didnt get that satisfaction in life, Or to be specific, it could be ... hes stuck, I dont know his situation, but he may have to go back to his parents house and work. If i had no where to go Marine Corps would be my choice just so happens im enlisted.

Camper51
06-22-06, 06:07 PM
Quite honestly, I was 17, ran away from home and tried to enlist in the Navy. They said NO get your High school Diploma and come back. I walked next door and the Marine recruiter said "let's go for it" so I did. Army and Air Force never entered my mind. Looking back I should have finished High ASchool. Do I have any regrets? Nope, I made the right choice, stuck with it for over 8 years and never looked back. Everyone makes choices for some reason or another. Some are good choices and some are not. Each of us has to live with those choices and be adult enough about it to follow through. I have never told a friend that they made a bad choice, however I have told them they might want to think about it a time or two. I always backed their choice, wrong or right, cuz it was their choice and as adults they have the right to make those choices, even if they are not so good sometimes. We all do it...

Quintin
06-22-06, 06:21 PM
When I joined I never told anyone, not even my family. I spoke to the recruter and then my Mom, by asking her to sign for me (I was 17). My Mom wanted to ask many questions but I told her the only thing I ever remember from my old man "YOU ARE WHAT YOU DO" . She signed and I was gone. I have never looked back. My reason for joining? Some things you keep tight.

semperfiman
06-22-06, 09:28 PM
I always wanted to join the navy, I had an arguement with the recruiter and told him to go screw, i walked down the hall into the Marine recruiters office and now i am a better and prouder man for it. Sometimes things happen for the better.

kovanfleet
06-22-06, 11:28 PM
maybe your freind figured that if his college kicked him out that it might do him well to learn some disipline and self motovation.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-22-06, 11:59 PM
Sounds like your friend made the best decision of his life, regardless of what you think about it. He will leave the Marine Corps (whether after 4 years or 30) a better man, and more able to dedicate himself to the tasks he has in front of him. Tell him I said Congrats on the decision!

yellowwing
06-23-06, 09:44 AM
There's plenty of reasons to join. But once you get on those yellow foot prints, what's in your heart is all that matters.

theoaj34
06-23-06, 09:47 AM
thanks for the replys

Stanley Hroszow
06-23-06, 10:17 AM
First thing go back,, and apologize to your friend, and then talk, without getting angry, and you may find out this may have been running through his mind for a long time, remember your friendship lost, may be the Marine Corps gain. do not be a judge jury and executioner RE. Luke 6:37.

Marine84
06-23-06, 11:43 AM
I have a stupid question - how do you get licked out of college? Was it a GPR thing or what?

mirabito2
06-23-06, 01:16 PM
I had the same problem with a few of my friends when I broke the news that I had joined... I never really discussed it with anyone other than people that I knew that were already Marines before I signed. I did not see it necessary. Apologize man, if he is your friend, don't act out on him like that, you should be able to talk to him. Guide him in the direction that will best suit him, not the direction you feel he should or shouldn't take. If he does join, support him. I have a few friends who show no support for me what so ever in my pursuit to become a Marine, and it drives me nuts. Be there for him if he needs it. I see your frustration, but use your noggin first before your emotions. Good luck!

Stanley Hroszow
06-23-06, 01:44 PM
I had the same problem with a few of my friends when I broke the news that I had joined... I never really discussed it with anyone other than people that I knew that were already Marines before I signed. I did not see it necessary. Apologize man, if he is your friend, don't act out on him like that, you should be able to talk to him. Guide him in the direction that will best suit him, not the direction you feel he should or shouldn't take. If he does join, support him. I have a few friends who show no support for me what so ever in my pursuit to become a Marine, and it drives me nuts. Be there for him if he needs it. I see your frustration, but use your noggin first before your emotions. Good luck! You have my full support. and Gods' support.

Static_Sky25
06-23-06, 03:10 PM
I had the same problem with a few of my friends when I broke the news that I had joined... I never really discussed it with anyone other than people that I knew that were already Marines before I signed. I did not see it necessary. Apologize man, if he is your friend, don't act out on him like that, you should be able to talk to him. Guide him in the direction that will best suit him, not the direction you feel he should or shouldn't take. If he does join, support him. I have a few friends who show no support for me what so ever in my pursuit to become a Marine, and it drives me nuts. Be there for him if he needs it. I see your frustration, but use your noggin first before your emotions. Good luck!

I was in a similar situation when I enlisted, I got hurt and washed out and had to come home to it... so I know how it can be.. you ever need to just plain ol bi*ch about life to someone let me know

quillhill
06-23-06, 03:45 PM
I just thought of something...my best friend's older brother was a total screw up. Really nice guy, but he dropped out of high school, had no motivation to work or do anything. His mom told him that if he wasn't going to work or go to school, he had to get out of the house. He did. And finally every one else got sick of him mooching and he really had very few options. Now, he joined the Army (I know, I know not the Marines, but bear with me), did his time and he's been a responsible guy ever since.

If the Army can do that for him, then maybe the Marines can do even more for your friend. And maybe he just didn't explain it to you very well. The Marine Corps is an option for someone who has washed out of college. I don't know the story behind it, but I know my grandfather enlisted after spending two years at the University of Minnesota.

So, he's decided to join the Marine Corps. Has he talked to a recruiter? Is he even eligible to enlist?

And even though he's never expressed interest in the military before, that doesn't mean he wasn't interested, and that definitely doesn't mean he won't love it as much as your brother does. I know it took you by surprise, but by all means, support him in his efforts to join. If he truly wants it, then you'll know, because if he doesn't, he'll be weeded out before he ever hits the yellow footprints.

I know not everyone out there in the world agrees with me, but I strongly believe that serving in the military is a great option, whether you're the academic sort or not. I didn't use to believe that, but in the past year, I've learned what the military can do for people and I'm a convert.

So, go easy on your buddy. Being kicked out of school isn't an easy thing to cope with, anyway. If he has a plan for another path, then that's not a bad thing.

Phantom Blooper
06-23-06, 04:32 PM
There's plenty of reasons to join. But once you get on those yellow foot prints, what's in your heart is all that matters.

Semper-Fi Heart" <O:p

Some may wear the uniform
And even look the part
But to truly be a real Marine
You must have a “Semper-Fi Heart”
This “Heart” is not earned in “Boot Camp”
But is “Developed Along the Way”
And it “Grows” because of “Dedication”
Through “Service” each and every day
“Semper” is Latin for “Always”
“Fidelis” means “Faithful” and “True”
“Faithful” when things don’t go your way
And “Faithful” when they do
You may not understand the rationale
Nor even know the reason why
But the “Mission” will be accomplished
When your “Heart” is “Semper-Fi”

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Marine84
06-23-06, 09:59 PM
OOHRAH! I KNOW that's right Phantom!

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 11:06 PM
Agree with my brothers and sisters here. Everybody joins their own reasons.

When I joined the Corps, I knew NOTHING about Marines, except they were supposed to be the toughest branch of the military. I joined because I was p!ssed at my own life, was going nowhere, and wanted to get more discipline.

It was the best decision that I ever made. It changed me, made me grow up, and after the Corps, was able to focus on college - and really embrace it!

Your friend should be commended on his decision!

DevilDogHEMech
06-24-06, 01:31 AM
Every Marine (or other servicemember) has their own unique story about life before the military and had different reasons for joining. I just hope that your friend doesn't decide to join on a whim without having any idea what he's getting himself into. But if he is joining for good reasons and it is something that he really wants to do, then you can't stand in his way.

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 06:29 AM
Every Marine (or other servicemember) has their own unique story about life before the military and had different reasons for joining. I just hope that your friend doesn't decide to join on a whim without having any idea what he's getting himself into. But if he is joining for good reasons and it is something that he really wants to do, then you can't stand in his way.

LOL - hell, nobody really knows what they are "getting themselves into" until they complete boot camp! Just ask Poolie Michael who is in boot camp as we speak - and she did the "poolie" thing for how long???

The great thing is - the Corps makes you ready regardless of motivation. LOL - 10% of my boot platoon were there because a judge said, "Now boy, either you are going to jail, or you are joining the United States Marine Corps." (The judges in the south loved to do that). Most of them turned out to be fine Marines.