PDA

View Full Version : Pow/mia Flag Outdated?

fontman
06-22-06, 02:47 PM
POW/MIA FLAG OUTDATED?
From Capt B's Blog

Robert Dorr's recent Colum in the Marine Corps Times suggests that the POW/MIA flag is out of date and reflects out of date imagery that should be retired. His opinion of the imagery is that it is counter productive and has outlived its usefulness. Service members who become separated from their units or evading the enemy can't survive without the mere hope of being found. Their hope finds strength in that their country will come looking for them. That they are not forgotten and that won't stop looking for them.

This also applies to our family members as a constant reminder that POW/MIA will constantly be sought after. The biggest factor to us while fighting in Iraq was that we had the very best medical attention waiting for us if we were wounded. We weren't afraid of getting hurt because we knew America's best was waiting for us if we were wounded. Following that the best combat multiplier was that if were in trouble, help was on the way. We called it "Dads coming". It came from the top brass and it worked great.

If we got into a big **** sandwich or got separated from our unit we knew Dad was coming. This happened when a sniper from 3/25 was separated and detained by the enemy. The Marines brought everything they had to the town where he was last seen. It was cordoned off so quickly that the enemy had no choice but to give the Marine up. Unfortunately he expired before they decided to release him from previous wounds in an earlier gunfight. The fact is that the Marine knew dad was coming for him and after 30 aircraft, multiple special Ops teams and a Battalion of Marines swamped the small town near Haditha the enemy didn't want to be caught with the wounded Marine.

That's the same kind of positive reinforcement the POW/MIA flag instills for service members who are still MIA from Viet Nam and recent wars. Granted the Muj doesn't have too many enemy watch towers in position but who wants to fly a flag with hooded scumbags on it ready to be head a service member?

Wyoming
06-22-06, 04:40 PM

It is NOT outdated.

It is easily recognizable.

Leave it be!!!

marinegreen
06-22-06, 04:48 PM
If its not broke,dont fix it !!!

MillRatUSMC
06-22-06, 05:00 PM
Am I shocked?...Am I surprised?
I think it more with being surprised...
On the selfishness of it all...
As long as that Flag flies, it reminds us that there many unaccounted for.
And that this nation will do everything humanly possible to account for them.
Some will never be accounted for as their aircraft went down in the seas around Vietnam close to China, making any search at that time possible.
Than there some POW's returning from North Korea.
That you say to us, there still some there and some were taken to the USSR and never will accounted for or their remains, because it might be to embrassing for our government and the government now in-place in what left of the USSR.
Out-dated?
I wonder if Mr. Robert Dorr, is outdated?
If he isn't than it might be time...

OLE SARG
06-22-06, 07:30 PM
I Agree With All Of The Above.

Semper Fi,

FREEBIRD
06-22-06, 08:43 PM
I fly my POW/MIA flag every day, have one on my Harley, and will always fly it!!!
I am a Member and President of Rolling Thunder, Va. Chapter 5, as long as theres men/women still missing I will continue to do so.
Until they all come home...............

Remember this:

DYING FOR FREEDOM ISN'T THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN.......
BEING FORGOTTEN IS!!!

FREEBIRD
SGT, USMC 69-76

jennifer
06-22-06, 10:25 PM
100% Agree!!

Remember this:

DYING FOR FREEDOM ISN'T THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN.......
BEING FORGOTTEN IS!!!

FREEBIRD
SGT, USMC 69-76

rb1651
06-23-06, 09:56 AM
Well said, FREEBIRD. I too fly my POW/MIA Flag everyday along with the Stars and Stripes and my Marine Corps Flag. I am currently installing two more flag poles so that I can fly the Army Flag (which my son recently joined), and the Air Force Flag (which my youngest daughter is enlisting into this fall, as well as in memory of my Dad who retired from the Air Force).

wsimkins
07-03-06, 09:20 AM
Here's all I have to say about it. This is my favorite past-time. Myself, 2 other Marines and 2 Sailors raised this at a local business establishment this past weekend. The original Flag Pole was destroyed in a tornado and the owner asked us if we could do it for him so he could fly the flag with pride on July 4th. We did it FREE and the only stipulation was he allows us to fly the POW/MIA flag below. He agreed and we will keep it flying forever! Screw the politicians!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sibnah.org/pow.jpg

OLE SARG
07-03-06, 09:23 AM
I second screwing the politicians!!!!! They have their big-arse noses in too much ****e now as it is.

SEMPER FI,