PDA

View Full Version : Lefty

Dainslef
06-21-06, 12:50 PM
I'm a lefty when firing a rifle. Will this be a problem when firing an M-16? I was told that I'd get hit by the brass... and someone else informed me that there is a 'guard' that can be attached to deflect the brass. I'm just curious. I did a search on this subject and couldn't find anything. Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere. Thanks.

jryanjack
06-21-06, 03:08 PM
Being right handed I cannot answer with absolute certainty :) However I knew several left handed Marines and they had no problem firing the M-16, nor did they have a "guard" installed to deflect brass.

I believe that one of the changes from the M-16A1 to the M-16A2 was the addition of a brass deflector, but I could be wrong on that.

Future-USMC-LT
06-21-06, 03:21 PM
The M-16A2, M-16A4, and M4A1 have brass deflectors built-in behind the ejection port to deflect brass away from your face.

Ignition
06-21-06, 06:30 PM
shooting left or right handed is basically the same... just depends on hand control and eye dominance.... among other good shooting techniques

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-21-06, 07:26 PM
The brass is usually ejected far enough away that it isn't a problem. You may have a stray piece of brass or two hit you, but you may also get hit from brass being ejected by the shooter next to you. Its nothing to worry about.

Brooklyn
06-21-06, 07:48 PM
heh...my 1911 has an unflared ejection port. That thing shoots brass 4-6 feet almost straight back!!! It's very interesting to shoot. When my fiance shoots it I stand behind her and try to catch the flying shells.

On the bright side, the instructors will probably have us wearing eye protection ( I'll be wearing glasses ) so the brass probably won't blind us if we get hit with it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-21-06, 09:08 PM
Ummm, unless they changed something, the only people with any kind of eye protection are those with glasses. I never saw a Marine wearing eye protection on the KD range.

Future-USMC-LT
06-21-06, 10:02 PM
Same here. They did make us wear eye protection in my unit when qualified last October, though.

jennifer
06-21-06, 11:39 PM
You'll be good to go devil pup. The Marine Corps has already though about this. No worries!