PDA

View Full Version : Military recruiters use NASCAR as key venue

thedrifter
06-21-06, 08:07 AM
Military recruiters use NASCAR as key venue
By SETH LIVINGSTONE
Gannett News Service

RICHMOND, Va. -- The imposing Super Cobra and Huey helicopters were only part of race weekend attractions at the Marines interactive exhibit on the midway at Richmond International Raceway.

Shannon Johnson, a 21-year-old from Apex, N.C., was gathering plenty of attention -- much from similar-aged men -- as she battles to keep her head above the chin-up bar for 70 seconds, the time required to earn a free T-shirt.

"They've got to earn it. We don't give them away," said Marine Gunnery Sgt. Curtis Eaton, an area recruiter.

Hours before NASCAR's roaring machines lighted up the track, Johnson became part of the show the U.S. military relies on to create awareness and eventually lure the numbers to its enlisted ranks.

It's part of the marriage between NASCAR and the armed forces, a union fueled by the common denominators of testosterone, petroleum and speed-driven excitement.

"It kind of surprises me. I didn't know the Marines would be out here," Johnson said. "I figured there'd just be race cars, drivers -- that kind of stuff. But think of the guys who come here -- young guys that might not have any idea what they want to do in life. It's definitely a good crowd of people for the military to be promoting to."

That's what the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and National Guard think, too.

It's why Robert Van Antwerp -- commanding general of enlisted recruiting, ROTC and initial military training -- says the Army budgets about $17 million to grace the hood of Joe Nemechek's Monte Carlo and pay for the other initiatives involved in supporting a Nextel Cup sponsorship.

"NASCAR is very important to us, as is all of our event marketing," Van Antwerp said. "Our mission for our three components -- Army active, the Guard and the Army Reserve -- is 175,500 young people this year to recruit into the enlisted ranks.

"We think we're going to make it this year. It's because of venues like this but also because there is a patriotic group out there and we're finding them."

Jeff Priest, the U.S. Navy Motorsports Program manager, agrees that NASCAR delivers the military's target audience.

"In my opinion, it's the most patriotic fan base of any sport. ... We're looking at influencers to help those young kids make decisions, and this is where we find them. It's another tool in our tool bag to get the message out that the Navy is a winning team."

Ellie