View Full Version : Reaction To Haditha Massacre Probe

thedrifter
06-20-06, 07:32 AM
REACTION TO HADITHA MASSACRE PROBE
Ex-candidate still speaking his mind
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Dan Sewell
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CINCINNATI — Paul Hackett, who pulled the plug on his brief but attention-getting political career, has resurfaced in defense of fellow Marines and veterans.

As outspoken as he was on the campaign trail, he says he’s enjoying the freedom of being blunter as a noncandidate.

"It’s a great thing being out of politics. I can revert to my private life and my beliefs; stand up for veterans, for regular working Americans and stand up for their freedoms," Hackett said. "And I can do that unabated by a plethora of campaign staffers who duck for cover every time I say something politically incorrect. I love it, just love it."

The Democratic attorney drew national interest last summer with his strong run in a special election for a Republican-dominated U.S. House district in southwestern Ohio. Republican Jean Schmidt won with 52 percent of the vote, but Hackett attracted a wide following as an Iraq war veteran and for his sharp criticism of President Bush.

Hackett, 44, dropped a U.S. Senate run in February, blaming Democratic officials who preferred Rep. Sherrod Brown to oppose Republican incumbent Mike DeWine.

Michael Margolis, a University of Cincinnati political scientist, said Hackett did well in his one election test last summer with his populist style and "being frank and being open; not pulling any punches. Whether that would continue to be successful, we don’t know."

A straight shooter to fans and a loose cannon to critics, Hackett says he has no plans to run for office but credits his stint in politics for giving him the clout to speak out on issues that concern him. He recently appeared in a series of national TV and radio shows.

Hackett is representing Marine Capt. James Kimber, who he says has been unfairly linked to the unfolding investigation of an alleged massacre of Iraqi civilians by Marines last year in Haditha and whether Marines or their commanders tried to cover up what happened. Hackett also is a plaintiff in a federal lawsuit filed recently against the Department of Veterans Affairs, seeking at least $1,000 each in damages for 26.5 million military personnel after personal data was stolen.

Hackett also is upset with Democratic Rep. John Murtha, of Pennsylvania, a decorated Marine veteran who has been briefed by military officials on the Haditha deaths and has said that U.S. troops "overreacted because of the pressure on them." Hackett said Murtha is feeding an image of traumatized, out-of-control soldiers like characters in the films Rambo and The Deer Hunter-."With one broad stroke, he’s recklessly indicted all those Marines ... I don’t know if he’s gotten addicted to the microphones and the cameras. For him to continue to foam at the mouth, it’s irresponsible, it’s stupid, it’s wrong."

Hackett is supporting a political-action committee to benefit veterans running for office and a planned Marine legal defense fund. And he has campaigned, or plans to, for Democrats in other states.

Hackett offered observations on issues such as the proposed constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriages, which "just (angers me) so much. It’s so outrageous. I don’t give a damn what people do in their private homes."

Ellie