PDA

View Full Version : The real heroes

thedrifter
06-20-06, 05:40 AM
Posted on Mon, Jun. 19, 2006
The real heroes

Top NFL Draft pick Mario Williams visited wounded Marines at Camp Lejeune, N.C., just a few miles from his hometown of Richlands.

''The real heroes are right here,'' said Williams, a 2003 graduate of Richlands High School who also played for North Carolina State.

Williams experienced a personal loss when his brother-in-law, Sgt. Nicolas Hodson, was killed in a vehicle accident in Iraq two years ago. Williams said his visit was a tribute to Hodson and other Marines.

''This gives me humbleness, knowing this is where I could be and recognizing the pride in this group,'' said Williams, who was accompanied by his mother, Mary Williams. ``This is where it's at. What I do is nothing.''

Williams said he had considered leaving N.C. State when his brother-in-law was killed, but his family persuaded him to stay in school.

''You made the right decision,'' said Lt. Gen. James Amos, commander of the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force. ``We're proud of you.''

Williams, a 6-7, 292-pound defensive end, signed a six-year, $54 million contract with the Houston Texans the night before the draft.

The next level

Kyle Lowry came to Villanova expecting to play all four years, graduate and move on to the NBA. But the 6-foot guard believes he doesn't need two more seasons to achieve his goal.

''I thought it was time for me to take my game to the next level,'' Lowry said. ``It's the level everyone wants to be at. I had the opportunity so I took it.''

Lowry is projected as a late first-, early second- round draft pick because of his unusual ability to rebound and defend well despite his size.

''Kyle's game is perfect for the NBA,'' Villanova coach Jay Wright said. ``Every player has something you can pick apart as a weakness. I think the strength of Kyle's game is he dictates how the game is played.''

White House T-Ball

The McGuire Air Force Base Little League Yankees will play T-ball at the White House on June 23 against the Dolcom Little League Indians of Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Conn.

''This is the one game the White House will do that's military-themed,'' said 1st Lt. Erick Saks, a McGuire spokesman. ``They like to recognize the military and the contributions they've made.''

President Bush and first lady Laura Bush are expected to be on hand, and each of the players will get an autographed ball.

Little League International, of Williamsport, Pa., chose the teams. It will be the 14th game on the South Lawn since 2001, when President Bush began the games to boost interest in baseball.

Ellie