PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Marine Corps Movies/Shows of all time?

Barret
06-19-06, 04:36 PM
I was just curious, What are some of your Favorite Marine Corps Movies? If you can, Please give a top list. (Also, They can range from movies like "Full Metal Jacket", To documentaries.)

Brooklyn
06-19-06, 06:55 PM
Hmm, I honestly don't think I've seen 10...or I can't remember right now.

I'll try though:

1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Marines of Lima Company
3. Jarhead
4. umm...OH, Making Marines
5. Ears Open Eyeballs Click ( didn't really like it, but since I can't think of any others it has to round off the list )

I've seen some shows on the Military Channel and History Channel about Marines, but I can't think of the names of any of them.

17wannabe75
06-19-06, 07:09 PM
what about the oldie "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison"

Barret
06-19-06, 07:17 PM
I started to search Yahoo for "Top 100 Marine Corps Movies", But I honestly think that together, the world has only made about 20-30 Marine Corps movies, At the most.(That Includes "Holywood", and documentary types.)

CrazyBrave83
06-19-06, 08:41 PM
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Ears Open, Eyeballs Click (haven't seen the full movie yet)
3. Heartbreak Ridge (Guilty pleasure #1)
4. Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except (Guilty pleasure #2)
5. A Few Good Men
6. The D.I.
7. Sands of Iwo Jima
8. The Thin Red Line
9. The Rock
10. Death before Dishonor (Guilty pleasure #3)

Marine84
06-19-06, 09:04 PM
My favorite show was Gomer Pyle only because we have the same accent

outlaw3179
06-19-06, 09:45 PM
I like Aliens...yeah yeah I know ...but theyre future Marines and I like it ... :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-19-06, 10:30 PM
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. The DI
3. The Sands of Iwo Jima
4. A Few Good Men (and I think the Marines got screwed)
5. Heartbreak Ridge
6. The Flying Leathernecks
7. Sniper (Even though it wasn't "about Marines" many of the shots were based on the shots of Carlos Hathcock, and you don't get more Marine than that.
8. Uncommon Valor
9. The Rock (Recon taking care of SEALS, can't beat it)
10. Starship Troopers (OK, so it isn't about Marines. The book had a huge impact on General Krulak, and thus the Marine Corps as a whole... and big bugs kick butt.)

Notice I left out the most recent Marine movie. The things that individual has said since his service ruin the whole deal for me.

His_angel
06-19-06, 10:59 PM

I kinda have that accent too!! In Millington I had a roommate named Pyle and with me being Carter ... sure were lots of jokes made bacak then.

Angel

Marine84
06-20-06, 07:53 AM
yeah Angel - anytime I talked in bootcamp there was always a DI that would make fun of it.

Camper51
06-20-06, 09:24 AM
Wow a Mexican with a southern drippy drawl!!!!!!!!!! must sound delicious...LOL Gotta have fun with it, Marine84

marinegreen
06-20-06, 10:42 AM
1. Full Metal Jacket
5. A Few Good Men
6. The D.I.
7. Sands of Iwo Jima
8. The Thin Red Line
9. The Rock

A real oldie is "The Lieutenant":flag:

Korling
06-20-06, 11:05 AM
Some lesser known but just as good as the standards (The DI, Sands of Iwo, Flying Leathernecks, Full Metal, being the standards):

1) The Outsider (1961) story of Iwo Jima flagraiser Ira Hayes
2) Retreat, Hell (1952) good Korean War stuff
3) Wake Island (1942) a bit hokey, but still good depiction of the "Alamo of the Pacific"
4) Halls of Montezuma (1950) good WWII stuff with Jack Webb in another Marine role
5) Guadalcanal Diary (1943) I like this far better than that Thin Red Line crap
6) Hell to Eternity (1960) another "true" story of a Marine in WWII that was raised by a Japanese-American family
7) Gung Ho! (1943) & Marine Raiders (1944) WWII stuff about the Raiders
8) To the Shores of Tripoli (1942) pure propaganda fluff piece but great footage of MCRD-SD Marines drilling!
9) Boys in Company C (1978) R.Lee as DI long before Full Metal!
10) BattleCry (1955) sort of soap opera, but watchable
Bad ones I don't recommend: Heartbreak Ridge & Death Before Dishonor

lovdog
06-20-06, 12:52 PM
There are two that were pretty good flicks to see - not televised very much anymore, but if you ever get a chance - see them both.

1. "Baby Blue Marine" - made in about 1976 or so - Stars Michael Jan Vincent and Richard Gere. Vincent is washed out of the Corps back during WWII from boot camp, was kinda like a **** bird I guess but got railroaded it seemed by running into an officer - thats when they sent you home in a baby blue uniform from the Corps to disgrace you!! Gere plays a Raider Marine who swiches uniforms with Vincent so he doesn't have to go back to the War. Great Movie I thought.

2. "The Pride of the Marines" - also of WWII - starred John Garfield. True story about a Marine who is blinded by a Jap grenade on one of the island campaigns - I think Guadalcanal. He comes home to his family and girlfriend - and has some trouble readjusting. Also a great movie.

3. "The AirWinger - Death from Above" - this is the most sought after movie of any of the Marine Corps Movies ever made!! Its only been shown one time and was so powerful that all Marine Grunts broke out into tears when they saw it!! It was banned after the one showing by the Commandant because all the Grunts wanted to change their MOS's to the Wing!!! Sadly this flick is not available anymore, and all copies have been destroyed!!

We'll have to talk to the Owner/Moderators of the site and ask them if and when they ever hear of these movies coming out on tv or on video to let us all know. John Wayne - they have about wore him out on the Sands!! SF

Wyoming
06-20-06, 05:12 PM
3. "The AirWinger - Death from Above" - this is the most sought after movie of any of the Marine Corps Movies ever made!! Its only been shown one time and was so powerful that all Marine Grunts broke out into tears when they saw it!! It was banned after the one showing by the Commandant because all the Grunts wanted to change their MOS's to the Wing!!! Sadly this flick is not available anymore, and all copies have been destroyed!!

I gotta admit, I never heard of this movie.

Me being a Winger, I'da really have liked to see it.

jryanjack
06-20-06, 05:13 PM
Thin Red Line was about the Army on Guadalcanal, not Marines - but it was a good flick.

My top Marine movies would be:

1. Sands of Iwo Jima
2. Few Good Men
3. Boys in Company C
4. Flying Leathernecks
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Heartbreak Ridge
7. The DI
8. Jarhead
9. Gung Ho
10. Windtalkers

Mama
06-20-06, 05:14 PM
My all time favorite is
"Heartbreak Ridge"

chrisnica
06-20-06, 09:41 PM
No one's posted this one yet... but I like Rules Of Engagement and ofcourse Full Metal Jacket.

CrazyBrave83
06-20-06, 10:26 PM
Thin Red Line was about the Army on Guadalcanal, not Marines - but it was a good flick.

Thank you Sgt., that I did not know. It's been years since I saw it, and truthfully I was drawing a blank on favorites. I guess for some reason I thought it was the USMC...appreciate the clear up.

Thanks again.

marinegreen
06-20-06, 11:02 PM
has "The Great Santini" been mentioned ?? with robert duvall as the Col.

marinegreen
06-20-06, 11:03 PM
My all time favorite is
"Heartbreak Ridge"

Your forgiven Mama,lol:sick:

rsta
06-21-06, 05:20 AM
Old Corps Movies!

55 Days At Peking, with Charlton Heston, about the Boxer Rebellion. It's been a long time since I saw it, but a movie with Marines in China.

Help me out here, WW1 Marines with James Cagney. Can't even remember the name of this flick.

onux16
06-21-06, 08:12 AM
On the History channel, there's a show called Shootout! I don't think I've ever seen Army guys on it unless they were working with Marines. What's great about the show are the reenactments of true events with input from the guys who participated in it.

ggyoung
06-21-06, 01:16 PM
WW1=====What Price Glory Very good.

Curt Geezus
06-21-06, 10:10 PM
I dont see why so many people have Full Metal Jacket on their list. Am I the only one who saw that as an anti war movie? I liked watching the DI yell at the recruits, but other than that it all just seemed like things to scare people out of the Marine Corps(which I have heard people say they didnt join because of this movie).

And Jarhead...it seemed pretty obvious that he didnt think too highly of of the Marine Corps. And when he says "...no matter what, I will always be a jarhead", that didnt seem like a motivational "Once a Marine, always a Marine" type statement. More like he thought of it as a bad thing. He was obviously mentally unstable and never should of joined.

I'm a poolee, and thats how I see it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-21-06, 10:23 PM
Curt, I saw Full Metal Jacket on the day it was released. I was too young to see it, but my dad wanted to, so I got to go along. From that moment forward, I knew what I wanted to do. It may have kept some people out, but it brought some in as well.

It may have been anti-war, but the story didn't seem that bad to me.

As for Jarhead, all you have to do is look into what the guy is doing now. He isn't the most motivated individual on the planet, not a fan of the Bush administration, and has some things he wants to see done. That said, he is a Marine, and always will be one. He has the right to tell his story, and there is some value to it. I just don't happen to agree with it, so I won't see the movie. The book was more than enough for me, and that was without even coming close to getting to the end.

onux16
06-21-06, 11:58 PM
Full Metal Jacket takes place during the Vietnam War. Of course the movie isn't going to be pretty! Every time I see it, I think of this poster:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/llamaxing/poster15.jpg

Curt Geezus
06-22-06, 04:59 PM
Curt, I saw Full Metal Jacket on the day it was released. I was too young to see it, but my dad wanted to, so I got to go along. From that moment forward, I knew what I wanted to do. It may have kept some people out, but it brought some in as well.

It may have been anti-war, but the story didn't seem that bad to me.

It affects people differently. I didnt really like the story either. Stuff just sorta happens, nothing flows together.

As for Jarhead, all you have to do is look into what the guy is doing now. He isn't the most motivated individual on the planet, not a fan of the Bush administration, and has some things he wants to see done. That said, he is a Marine, and always will be one. He has the right to tell his story, and there is some value to it. I just don't happen to agree with it, so I won't see the movie. The book was more than enough for me, and that was without even coming close to getting to the end.

Sounds like an ex-Marine to me. Once a Marine, always a Marine isnt true to everyone.

Wyoming
06-22-06, 05:07 PM
I gotta admit, I never heard of this movie.

Me being a Winger, I'da really have liked to see it.

"The AirWinger - Death from Above"

Can any one give any info on this one?

Barret
06-23-06, 04:47 PM
No Offence to Any Marine, But the Main Character in Jarhead is the only thing that's made me seriously Rethink joining the Corps. In my point of view, the Story is of a Mentally unstable guy joining the Corps, And Hating every second of it. THE END. Roll Credits.

Barret
06-23-06, 04:52 PM
And by the way, You should read the Jarhead Book. It was originally intended to be a Fictional story, but then the author added Non-Fictional parts to it. It shows (In the book, There are stories of "Swoff" Bench pressing 350 lbs. like it's nothing, getting in bar fights with everyone, and cussing out his senior Officer, to which the Officer just laughs, and sends him on his way.)

marinegreen
06-23-06, 05:03 PM
Dont let Hollywood cloud your judgement.

Static_Sky25
06-23-06, 05:37 PM
a movie called "Stateside" Val Kilmer plays a DI (warning my ex wife had me watch this it's a lovestory set up as a "it's hard cause he's a Marine" sorta thing....) but Val Kilmer as a DI was well worth suffering through this.. was rather funny

BigCat1
06-23-06, 05:45 PM
for all of you who have recommended "Jarhead"...I wouldn't recommend that movie if it were the last movie on earth....That movie was the biggest bunch of B.S. this Marine has every seen. It was an embarrassment to the Corps.

Static_Sky25
06-23-06, 05:46 PM
No Offence to Any Marine, But the Main Character in Jarhead is the only thing that's made me seriously Rethink joining the Corps. In my point of view, the Story is of a Mentally unstable guy joining the Corps, And Hating every second of it. THE END. Roll Credits.

"life is what you make it"
Means if you think Sh*t you'll get Sh*t that's how it goes, if your the type who hates everything, do you think service in the military (regardless of branch) will be any different?
:tank:

Smalcom
06-23-06, 05:56 PM
1. Full Metal Jacket
5. A Few Good Men
6. The D.I.
7. Sands of Iwo Jima
8. The Thin Red Line
9. The Rock

There werent any Marines in The Thin Red Line

CrazyBrave83
06-23-06, 08:07 PM
There werent any Marines in The Thin Red Line

This has been covered, my mistake.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-23-06, 08:13 PM
Barret, just to give you the heads up... plenty of people hate every second of their time in any military branch. I do believe that is part of the reason you can't just quit.

Shadowman777
06-23-06, 11:27 PM
I dont see why so many people have Full Metal Jacket on their list.

The first half - the boot camp part. That is Marine Corps boot camp. The rest of the movie sucked.

Don't be deceived that viewing that movie will help you through boot tho. My son thought he was ready for Parris Island because he saw the movie and his dad was a Marine. He didn't have a clue - and told me so!

His_angel
06-23-06, 11:35 PM
I can't recall for sure the channel it was on. I think it was Discovery. Might have been Military Channel. But there's a boot camp series. It's a 3 part series. For the 3 phases of boot. LOVED IT! It shows males and females. Of course they couldn't show/cover everything. But if I were going to pick just one, that documtary would be it.

Angel

marinegreen
06-23-06, 11:39 PM
The first half - the boot camp part. That is Marine Corps boot camp. The rest of the movie sucked.

Don't be deceived that viewing that movie will help you through boot tho. My son thought he was ready for Parris Island because he saw the movie and his dad was a Marine. He didn't have a clue - and told me so!

That and Heartbreak ridge, One of my favorites(C. Eastwood) made a joke outta the Marine Recon) not in my day did I ever run across sh**birds like what were portrayed in that movie. Recon would never be that undisciplined...

Curt Geezus
06-23-06, 11:49 PM
I saw the boot camp 3 part series on the military channel. It was good.

Old Marine
06-24-06, 08:38 AM
for all of you who have recommended "Jarhead"...I wouldn't recommend that movie if it were the last movie on earth....That movie was the biggest bunch of B.S. this Marine has every seen. It was an embarrassment to the Corps.

I'm with you Big Cat.

I walked out about l/4 through the movie and barfed in some guy's popcorn on the way out.

Barret
06-24-06, 05:06 PM
I like to say that when they put a bullet through R.Lee Ermey, they put a bullet into the rest of the movie.

Barret
06-24-06, 05:09 PM
To Echo Four Bravo: Would you say that most of the people that hate every second of the military are either forced into it, or join for the wrong reasons (College Benefits,etc.)?

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 05:47 PM
To Echo Four Bravo: Would you say that most of the people that hate every second of the military are either forced into it, or join for the wrong reasons (College Benefits,etc.)?

No - they would either be squids, doggies or prop-heads.

Undisciplined slime.

Barret
06-24-06, 05:53 PM
Hey Shadowman, Were you calling Me undisciplined Slime? I didn't mean anything by what I said, just asking a question.

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 06:02 PM
Hey Shadowman, Were you calling Me undisciplined Slime? I didn't mean anything by what I said, just asking a question.

LOL - You need to become more aware of our terminology!

Squid means Navy
Doggie means Army
Prop-head or Flyboy means Air Force

They are undiscplined slime because they are not Marines (and they train with chicks).

You are simply a slimey civilian! ;)

Barret
06-24-06, 06:04 PM
Oh,man, you scared me. I thought I ****ed off a Marine for a second there!

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 06:43 PM
Oh,man, you scared me. I thought I ****ed off a Marine for a second there!

LOL - you need to read more of my posts. I'm the guy who wore a thong just to p!ss off my daughter, after I found a picture of her wearing one on her myspace account. I totally grossed her out! LOL

I didn't actually wear one - I just had a picture taken of me with a plumber's crack showing, and then I drew in the lines to make it look that like I was wearing a thong.

I think you'll find that Marines are the hardest hitting pranksters on the planet! We work hard and play harder!

Erthwerm
06-24-06, 10:37 PM
1) Heartbreak Ridge
2) Full Metal Jacket
3) The Boys in Company C
4) The Sands of Iwo Jima
5) Parris Island: Making Marines (3-part documentary about MCRD Parris Island on Military Channel)
6) Mail Call
7) Major Dad (yeah yeah, I know...)
that's all I can think of.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia: the guy who played Pvt. Lawrence (or Pvt. Pyle) in Full Metal Jacket is Vincent D'Onofrio and he can now be seen in Law & Order: Criminal Intent and in The Break Up with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. I don't know why I remember that and no, I don't watch a lot of TV; I think I just have a good memory for useless information.

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 11:29 PM
Here's an interesting piece of trivia: the guy who played Pvt. Lawrence (or Pvt. Pyle) in Full Metal Jacket is Vincent D'Onofrio and he can now be seen in Law & Order: Criminal Intent and in The Break Up with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. I don't know why I remember that and no, I don't watch a lot of TV; I think I just have a good memory for useless information.

That is an AMAZING piece of info! I can see it now - tho never would have put it together before. That's the guy whose butt looked like 100 lbs of chewed bubble gum!!! LOL

I have to get my wife on this!!! Thank you! LOL!!!

marinegreen
06-24-06, 11:48 PM
He also played the guy who turns into a big cockroach on "MEN IN BLACK", remember the ship crashing on his farm and he goes back and tells his wife gimme water with sugar,lots and lots of sugar. He did play a good part in full metal. "I LIVE IN A WORLD OF ****" ~BLAMMMMMM~

Erthwerm
06-25-06, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback, Shadowman777. I guess I'll get back to my PT and lurking.

Thanks for your help all,

Erthwerm

Shadowman777
06-25-06, 07:04 AM
He also played the guy who turns into a big cockroach on "MEN IN BLACK", remember the ship crashing on his farm and he goes back and tells his wife gimme water with sugar,lots and lots of sugar. He did play a good part in full metal. "I LIVE IN A WORLD OF ****" ~BLAMMMMMM~

That is amazing. I really like the actor in his quirky role on Law and Order, but never would have placed him as either Pyle or the Cockroach. But once mentioned - I can now see it.

I played a part from FMJ - Pvt. Pyle - for my wife a few minutes ago. She did not recognize the actor until I told her that she just watched him last night on TV. She was blown away that they were the same people.

Barret
06-26-06, 03:18 PM
Can Someone thats a big Military Movie Buff give a List of all the Marine Corps movies you can think of? I think that The Corps is probably the second most movie-documented branch (Behind the Army)

maverickmarine
06-26-06, 04:12 PM
Yeah, that blew me away when I realized that the giant freakin' roach was Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. And we all put Full Metal Jacket in our lists because of the bootcamp part. Also, I agree that heartbreak ridge let us down but nothing is as disgusting as Jarhead. I saw that piece of crap the first show on the first day it came out and wish I could erase it from my brain housing unit.

Tallboot
06-26-06, 05:11 PM
Ill tell you right now, if you wanna come see Sergeant Gee benchpress 350 is his warmup and he can do it 20 times easy. His max is 450 ... about the bar fights? hm yep they happen Jeremy and his buddies fought a few Marines in a bar, 2 ended up nocked out. Im not making it up and i expect to be tested his MOS was grunt. Cussing out a officer? never heard anythign like that.

Shrike
06-27-06, 04:40 AM
Right after reading this thread I got and watched "Jarhead" and I want to confirm what it's a anti-war trash. Permanent incontinence of Marines and especially Marine snipers is just something. By this movie it's looks like all of Marines are pu$$ies, lunatics or maniacs. I don't know, who is so stupid to buy it, but is definitely don't worth to waste time watching...

However, FMJ is anti-war movie too, but I love it anyway :). Considering war-movies, I want to mention "Brothers in Arms" series, I think it's even better than "Shaving private Ryane"

maverickmarine
06-27-06, 06:24 AM
Do you mean Band of Brothers? I would have mentioned that too because I love that but we are talking about Marine movies

Shrike
06-27-06, 06:37 AM
maverickmarine (member.php?u=12595)

Yep, just typo :). It's not a Marine movie, but just damn good!

maverickmarine
06-27-06, 08:39 AM
Absolutely, I think it's one of the best out there

Focus Fate
06-27-06, 09:24 AM
LOL - you need to read more of my posts. I'm the guy who wore a thong just to p!ss off my daughter, after I found a picture of her wearing one on her myspace account. I totally grossed her out! LOL

I didn't actually wear one - I just had a picture taken of me with a plumber's crack showing, and then I drew in the lines to make it look that like I was wearing a thong.

I think you'll find that Marines are the hardest hitting pranksters on the planet! We work hard and play harder!

I envy you.

fr3q3ncy
03-06-07, 04:04 PM
Sort of a joke but always good for a laugh:

Major Payne

Eric

aviator101
03-06-07, 04:17 PM
One of my favorite Marine movies which has not been mentioned yet is Born on the 4th of July.

JohnWayne
03-06-07, 06:39 PM
Was Rambo a Marine? Either way, still a ****ing HERO.

Integrity57
03-06-07, 06:45 PM
Rambo was Army Special Forces

Integrity57
03-06-07, 07:16 PM
One of the best documentarys I've ever seen was Combat: Marines of Lima Company, ( I believe it was Lima Company ) on the History Channel last Memorial Day. That one had me holding back some tears for sure.

JohnWayne
03-06-07, 07:26 PM
One of the best documentarys I've ever seen was Combat: Marines of Lima Company, ( I believe it was Lima Company ) on the History Channel last Memorial Day. That one had me holding back some tears for sure.

I know how you feel... Rambo made me want to cry; cry when I'm done killin!

TheBiggness
03-07-07, 02:05 AM
1. Full Metal Jacket
"why are you sitting on your helmet?" "So I don't get my ass blowed off!"

2. Hartbreak Ridge
"I'll send you home with a, I just pumped the neighbors's cat, look on your face"

3. Uncomon Valor
"why does he wear that grenade around his neck?" "Well Sailor always said if life got to ****ty he would pull the pin and see whats next"

4. The Rock

5. an of coarse Major Payne

Hectic
03-07-07, 06:52 AM
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_Movies"
I know it is incomplete, but it is all that I could find.

ElDiablo
03-07-07, 07:40 AM
Lets see...

Full Metal Jacket

Khe Sahn (Documentary)

Sniper

Jarhead

The Rock

Major Payne

Wind Talkers

uhhh....all my other favorite movies are either about other branches of the military, like Black Hawk Down, or are comedy movies like Without a Paddle...

devildoghopeful
03-07-07, 10:41 AM
If it's the one I saw, it was Lima Co. 3/1. If so, then Pat O'Donnell, one of the guys who was interviewed, wrote the book that the show was based on. If you thought the show was a tear-jerker, read the book "We Were One - Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines who took Fallujah" by Pat O'Donnell. It's probably the most moving piece of literature I've ever read.

Integrity57
03-07-07, 11:27 AM
Come on El Diablo, Windtalkers was a piece of sh**, the plot was good, but Nick Cage and whoever directed it screwed that movie up

ElDiablo
03-07-07, 12:46 PM
Come on El Diablo, Windtalkers was a piece of sh**, the plot was good, but Nick Cage and whoever directed it screwed that movie up

Agreed...thus why it was at the bottom of the list...:)...I liked it more for the historical stuff involved...other than that it royally blew...:sick:

ElDiablo
03-07-07, 12:48 PM
Thus why it was at the bottom of the list...I liked the historical stuff involved (not that there was much)...other than that I thought it royally blew...sorry..didnt think it posted first time...computers lagging bad...

FistFu68
03-07-07, 03:38 PM
:evilgrin: HARD TARGET,BOY'S OF COMPANY C,WAR STORIE'S VIET-NAM(HBO) LOVED THE D.I IN AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN!:evilgrin: :usmc:

JohnWayne
03-07-07, 03:49 PM
RAMBO IV comes out in 2008. Maybe there will be some Marines in this one.

SmokeyBandit
03-08-07, 04:57 PM
If it's the one I saw, it was Lima Co. 3/1. If so, then Pat O'Donnell, one of the guys who was interviewed, wrote the book that the show was based on. If you thought the show was a tear-jerker, read the book "We Were One - Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines who took Fallujah" by Pat O'Donnell. It's probably the most moving piece of literature I've ever read.

Are you guys talking about Combat Diary; The Marines of Lima Company.(A&E)

If so, that is not 3/1. That is my local reserve unit. 3/25 Lima Company out of Columbus, Ohio.

Warrior07
03-08-07, 05:18 PM
How come no one said Rules of Engagement

Integrity57
03-08-07, 05:45 PM
I think Smokey is right b/c those Marines were from Ohio

Shrike
03-09-07, 08:33 AM
How come no one said Rules of Engagement

Because this movie is far from "Top 10 Marine Corps Movie of all time". Not bad, maybe, but nothing more.

USMCBOXER
03-09-07, 08:44 AM
Full Metal Jacket (at least the first 30-45 minutes)
Boys in Company C
The D.I.
Halls of Montezuma
Sands of Iwo Jima
[Pork Chop Hill
Guadalcanal Diary
Wake Island
Flying Leathernecks
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison
Heartbreak Ridge
Battle Cry (interesting because it tends to focus on Leathernecks' time in New Zealand, during/between the So. Pacific fronts)
and,although they are not truly USMC movies, I do like
To Hell and Back
Battleground
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
Bridge Over River Kwai

Marine45696
06-01-07, 08:52 PM
"The Great Santini" we actually marched to the base theater at MCRD Parris Island, and watched this movie during bootcamp. We all thought we were being tricked or something until the movie actually started.

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 08:55 PM
"The Great Santini" we actually marched to the base theater at MCRD Parris Island, and watched this movie during bootcamp. We all thought we were being tricked or something until the movie actually started.

You were lucky. We had to watch The D.I.

USMC90
06-01-07, 09:09 PM
You were lucky. We had to watch The D.I.

I wanna see that movie. It's too bad it's so damn old... you can't find it anywhere.

semperfi170
06-01-07, 09:16 PM
One of my favorite Marine movies which has not been mentioned yet is Born on the 4th of July.

This movie as well as the book ends up as an anti-war movie. The upside --it shows how f***ed u the VA was during Nam. It has improved, but still has a long way to go to live up to the promises (actual & implied) made by the government.

semperfi170
06-01-07, 09:17 PM
I wanna see that movie. It's too bad it's so damn old... you can't find it anywhere.

Try going to sgtgrit.com to see if it is still available. It may be still available on VHS.:marine:

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 09:18 PM
I like it too. I saw it a couple of times on TV before boot camp. In the original black and white. :D

Zulu 36
06-01-07, 09:26 PM
Another movie not mentioned, but also not really worthy of the Top 100, let alone the Top 10, is Tribes. It came out in early 1971.

The only reason it is memorable to me is most of the drill sequences used DIs who were in my series including one of my DIs. Real recruit platoons were used and recruits and DIs were paid a stipend to perform. They had to do it on Sunday morning during their "free time." Everyone was "encouraged" to donate their earnings to Navy Relief.

249gunner
06-01-07, 10:24 PM
What does everyone think about "The Marine"
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/z/_/N/themarineposter.jpg

Personally I hated it. He used the title Marine to his advantage just so he could look "cool". And yet they call him an "ex Marine"
I get a headache just thinking about the inaccuracies.

HurricaneRJ
06-01-07, 10:32 PM
I turned it off as soon I saw him in the old BDUs and he's saving those Marines who are captured in Iraq and whatever chit they had on it. It was a damn shame and not to mention when he would wrestle he would have his chevrons upside down like the damn Air Force.

249gunner
06-01-07, 10:34 PM
he's he would have his chevrons upside down like the damn Air Force.

haha didnt see that one

Integrity57
06-01-07, 10:47 PM
Yeah wrestlers NEVER make good movies. I couldn't believe it when I saw a trailer for that pile of s***, not to mention like you all said that they wrote his character to be a "ex-Marine."
:sick:

249gunner
06-01-07, 10:48 PM
I'd be suprised if they had ONE Marine advisor during the filming.

Bullrider
06-02-07, 12:45 AM
Probably my favorite movie of all time, military wise.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098328/

Its called Siege at firebase gloria, good Vietnam flick. And it has R Lee Ermey in it.

Kurby494
06-02-07, 08:02 AM
I dont see why so many people have Full Metal Jacket on their list. Am I the only one who saw that as an anti war movie? I liked watching the DI yell at the recruits, but other than that it all just seemed like things to scare people out of the Marine Corps(which I have heard people say they didnt join because of this movie).

And Jarhead...it seemed pretty obvious that he didnt think too highly of of the Marine Corps. And when he says "...no matter what, I will always be a jarhead", that didnt seem like a motivational "Once a Marine, always a Marine" type statement. More like he thought of it as a bad thing. He was obviously mentally unstable and never should of joined.

I'm a poolee, and thats how I see it.

You should read the book Jarhead. It had alot of stuff cut out so it's pretty interesting. But my main point is this...Anthony Swofford has a whole paragraph in the beginning of the book where he discusses getting a bunch of war movies to watch before deployment in the persian gulf. He talks about how those who are not military minded view movies like platoon and full metal jacket and apacolypse now as anti-war. But when service men (particularly Marines) view those same movies it's completley the opposite. Honestly I've seen Jarhead & Full Metal Jacket probably hundreds of times, some even back to back and even though it shows negatives of the Marine Corps and the hardships of a Marine's enlistment I get nothing short of Capital "M"-Oh-Tea-Vated. The good the bad the ugly I want it all.

Kurby494
06-02-07, 08:14 AM
I can't recall for sure the channel it was on. I think it was Discovery. Might have been Military Channel. But there's a boot camp series. It's a 3 part series. For the 3 phases of boot. LOVED IT! It shows males and females. Of course they couldn't show/cover everything. But if I were going to pick just one, that documtary would be it.

Angel

If it's the one where the stupid chick with bleach blonde hair got kicked out for popping on a **** test and they have the two twin brothers as bunk mates and during everyone's third phase is when the world trade centers were attacked then i know what your talking about. I had my grandma record that for me before me and my roomates got cable. It was called Making Marines. I saw it on the military channel but it might have also been played on discovery. Pretty good documentary but with all this stuff I'm pretty sure the actual Marine's here will tell us it's all nothing compared to putting your feet in the yellow foot prints. I think the with the Marine Corps and Recruit Training it all comes down to "once your in it you'll know how it is." Anything before that is simply perceptions and food for though.

Master Sephiroth
06-02-07, 08:46 AM
Flags of Our Fathers
Windtalkers
Rules of Engagement (Closer to our time)
Jarhead
Full Metal Jacket

If you asked for war movies, I'd list more, but most I saw were about the Army.

Favorite WWII era film: Band of Brothers
Favorite VN era film: Hamburger Hill or We Were Soldiers (I love the Sgt. Maj.)

jimrod83
06-02-07, 09:41 AM

Its called Siege at firebase gloria, good Vietnam flick. And it has R Lee Ermey in it.

I saw that one years back. Thought it was quite good, actually.

Integrity57
06-02-07, 11:06 AM
Band of Brothers is one of my favorite series of all time, I could watch it all day and not get sick of it, even though it is Army related. I've read that Spielberg (sp) and Hanks are making a second series about the pacific theatre, which I hope means it'll be about the Marines that fought there.

TheBiggness
06-02-07, 12:05 PM
What does everyone think about "The Marine"
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/z/_/N/themarineposter.jpg

Personally I hated it. He used the title Marine to his advantage just so he could look "cool". And yet they call him an "ex Marine"
I get a headache just thinking about the inaccuracies.

Kinda like Doom when the Rock called his unit of space Marines "Soldiers".

The only part i liked in The Marine was when that guy said he was like the terminator and Robert Patrick gave him that look like he does in Terminator 2, that cracked me up for some reason.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 01:16 PM
Band of Brothers is one of my favorite series of all time, I could watch it all day and not get sick of it, even though it is Army related. I've read that Spielberg (sp) and Hanks are making a second series about the pacific theatre, which I hope means it'll be about the Marines that fought there.

Yes, it is based on Marines in the Pacific. It will not be based on a single unit like E/506 was in Band of Brothers. It will be based, at least partly, on books written by William Manchester and Eugene Sledge.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 01:20 PM

For the most part, the movie was stupid. Lee Ermey does have some good lines in it though.

249gunner
06-02-07, 01:29 PM
Good ol GySgt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSpGWq9aS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQEQaFzVQIM

bgsuwoody
06-02-07, 01:30 PM
Yes, it is based on Marines in the Pacific. It will not be based on a single unit like E/506 was in Band of Brothers. It will be based, at least partly, on books written by William Manchester and Eugene Sledge.

I heard that it may be somewhat based on not just "With the Old Breed..." by Sledge, but also Bill Sloan's book "Brotherhood of Heroes" about Peliliu in which Sledge is a major character/contributer.

Master Sephiroth
06-02-07, 02:24 PM
That looks really interesting. What's the series called?

brayoby
06-02-07, 02:29 PM
I think my top two would have to be Heartbreak Ridge.. and Major Payne. Both have info about the Marine Corp while trying to keep it light hearted even though i know the Marine Corp is not even close to being light hearted!

bgsuwoody
06-02-07, 02:29 PM
Well its in production but it will be called The Pacific. It will focus on Marine Corps infantry of Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Guadalcanal, and Pelileu and other well known Pacific battles

Integrity57
06-02-07, 03:04 PM
Where did you all find info on the new series?

Master Sephiroth
06-02-07, 07:59 PM
Iwo jima, huh? Well I hope they include Pfc. Lucas (of course they'll show the flag raising, but they should include other things as well). While we're on the subject, do any of you poolees know who Pfc. Lucas was?

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 08:22 PM
Nope. Enlighten me.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 08:24 PM
Me, me, me, I know, I know!!!! The bald, round-headed kid in the back!!

HurricaneRJ
06-02-07, 08:26 PM
I'm so lost.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 08:36 PM
OK, I'm not a poolee, but I'll tell. At Iwo Jima, Jack Lucas was awarded the Medal of Honor for putting himself on top of TWO hand grenades AND (bonus) survived. He also was the youngest MoH awarded in the 20th Century. He had just turned 17 several days earlier.

Lucas had lied about his age to enlist (he was really 14 when he signed up), had argued, fought, and went UA to get into combat. He was UA from his assigned unit in Hawaii (which he had gone UA to reach in the first place) when he landed at Iwo Jima. As luck would have it, the ship he stowed away on carried a cousin's unit. He bumped into his cousin who helped Lucas out. Just before he would be declared a deserter, he surrendered himself aboard ship. Not knowing what else to do with him, the CO let him land.

Jack Lucas still appears at a lot of official Marine Corps functions, including Commandant Changes of Command.

Integrity57
06-02-07, 08:50 PM
Now that is dedication, he sounds just like Lou Diamond. Except Lou Diamond was on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to age.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 09:48 PM
Well, Lou Diamond didn't go UA to go to Guadalcanal, but he did pound on a few tables. He had the rank, experience, and reputation to get away with that.

Integrity57
06-02-07, 09:50 PM
Very true.

249gunner
06-03-07, 01:32 AM
http://themarinemovie.com/wallpaper/800x600_marine4.jpg
look ma i iz a Marine!
heheh OK Im done. sorry for wasting precious bandwith on a wannabee

Master Sephiroth
06-03-07, 07:43 AM
Is Cena anything like John Wayne? I doubt it.

Integrity57
06-03-07, 10:34 AM
Oh god no! John Wayne is a god and John Cena is crap. He's not even wearing an eight-point cover in that pic.....I mean what the hell?

motocarlo
06-03-07, 11:11 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i91266009d4f35a6c91edce1c1949270f

devildoghopeful
06-03-07, 11:13 AM
Wow, looking forward to their depiction of 'Manila John'!

USMC90
06-03-07, 03:59 PM
Look up douche bag in the dictionary. You might find that fruit next to the definition.

sec9
06-03-07, 04:20 PM
lol the very first time I saw my recruiter he said this:

him-"have u seen jarhead"
me-"yes"
him-"disreguard everything you saw in that movie, its a load of shiit"

Best show on Marines Ive seen was a special on Fox news called "Company of Heroes" about the Marines who took Fallujah. I have it recorded must have watched it over 20 times

HurricaneRJ
06-03-07, 04:46 PM
It's kind of funny about Jarhead.

I know alot of the Old Corps Marines were complaining about how Marines don't act that way, but on a SgtGrit newsletter a Gulf War Marine, defended the movie.

I like Jarhead alot, even though it has nothing to do with combat or anything, its just ones man view and lets not forget the Book and the Movie are two different things.

You should read the book.

devildoghopeful
06-03-07, 04:53 PM
I loved the movie if only because Jamie Foxx had some truly awesome lines.

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest motherf/cker in the god/amn valley!"

sec9
06-03-07, 04:57 PM
I wasnt the biggest fan of the movie, but there were some good lines, and some funny parts. I should probably read the book.

I have a feeling that the book We Were One will be made into a movie sooner or later.

Kurby494
06-03-07, 07:04 PM
As far as what everyone's saying about Jarhead... I've heard the three things a Marine does best (other than kill) is eat,f**k, and B**ch. If thats true than Jarhead is as good a depiciton of a Marine's experience as any. No one is saying it's the best example, but if you look at Mathew Modine's charachter in Full Metal Jacket he calls Parris Island and "8-week college for the fony tough and the crazy brave". I mean he didn't exactly love the corps in that film. Bottom line it's just another take on some experiences and more or less thats all we can ask for. I like jarhead because despite Swoff's mental roller coaster you see alot of other Marine's in that movie around him doin what Marine's do. Also watch the scene where they brand Peter Sarrasgard's *sp cahracter (troy) thats like the best scene in the movie.

I agree with Hurricane the book is pretty good.

Integrity57
06-03-07, 07:56 PM
I haven't read the book yet, but I thought the movie was OK. I thought the deleted scene where swoffard's DI is wearing a dress and asks him if wants to make out was funny as hell. I knew the movie couldn't have been to faithful to the book, seeing as hollywood doesn't think fact is as entertaining as fiction. But it's the same case with Black Hawk Down, they changed numerous things in that movie and even invented a character, Eric Bana's Delta Force character, that played a large role in the movie but didn't exist.

Master Sephiroth
06-03-07, 10:53 PM
The movie was ok. That Staff Sergeant was the best. The book, however, was just nothing but ***** ***** *****. I know Marines like to complain, but the book is beyond complaining.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-03-07, 11:49 PM
That line was a part of our &quot;drill prayer&quot; in boot camp that we said before drill competitions. <br />
<br />
All of the guys I was in with like the movie. The story is what you would expect when considering...

drumcorpssnare
06-04-07, 03:50 PM
Slightly off-topic...but, the movie I'd like to see (full-length, Hollywood) is a historically accurate representation of our beloved Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller.

Now...THAT, would be a movie.

I heard the History Channel, or A&E did an hour show on Chesty. Didn't see it. (No cable) Anyone else see it?

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

HurricaneRJ
06-04-07, 03:53 PM
I can look it up for you. If I find it, I'll find a way to post it on Youtube.

HurricaneRJ
06-04-07, 03:54 PM
Heres the link to order the DVD if you want a real copy.

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=72202

Thefewtheproud
06-04-07, 04:01 PM
I loved Jarhead the book is very good too. I think every Marine can relate to Swoff.

Blaster
06-04-07, 04:12 PM
I dont know if "Hamburger Hill" is a Marine Corps movie, but if it is, its pretty Good.

Zulu 36
06-04-07, 04:16 PM
I dont know if "Hamburger Hill" is a Marine Corps movie, but if it is, its pretty Good.

No, Hamburger Hill is not about the Marine Corps. That battle was fought by Army 101st Airborne units.

rickfjr74
06-04-07, 07:48 PM
I like Aliens...yeah yeah I know ...but theyre future Marines and I like it ... :)

LOL Halo 2......some people might get this comparison some, may not.....

Books
06-04-07, 09:19 PM
I really want to see the elusive "Airwinger" movie. It was banned by the Commandant? Now I have to see it... Human nature to want something you can't have. :P

usmc2007
06-05-07, 12:36 PM

i thought that i was the only one who has ever saw that....

ElDiablo
06-05-07, 12:40 PM
LOL Halo 2......some people might get this comparison some, may not.....

I get it. Nothing beats going around with high-tech weaponry and vehicles...:) ....and you can't beat Sticky Grenades....:confused:

Kurby494
06-05-07, 12:41 PM
i thought that i was the only one who has ever saw that....

woah! Definatley not. Maybe for your age range, But Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. Is a freaking classic. I used to watch re-runs in the morning before i would go to ellementary school. I think they might still play it on tv somewhere but i doubt it. I was just reading up on it, I had no idea it was a spin off of the Andy Griffith show. Wow thats enteresting.

Kurby494
06-05-07, 12:43 PM
I get it. Nothing beats going around with high-tech weaponry and vehicles...:) ....and you can't beat Sticky Grenades....:confused:

I think it's also about the main charachter being Master Chief which is a rip-off of Master Sergeant or Master Gunnery Sergeant.

ElDiablo
06-05-07, 12:45 PM
Yeah that too...but doesn't the Navy have Master Chief? That's why I didn't put that. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Zulu 36
06-05-07, 03:00 PM
Yeah that too...but doesn't the Navy have Master Chief? That's why I didn't put that. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Yes, the Navy and Coast Guard have Master Chief Petty Officers and Command Master Chief Petty Officers (both E-9). They will rip your face off if you don't address them as "Master Chief", or "Command Master Chief," as appropriate.

Master Chiefs can be every bit as nasty as a Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant. .

Kurby494
06-05-07, 06:42 PM

I stand corrected. I had no clue about the navy's rank system. Learn somethin new every day i suppose.

usmc2007
06-09-07, 07:25 PM
woah! Definatley not. Maybe for your age range, But Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. Is a freaking classic. I used to watch re-runs in the morning before i would go to ellementary school. I think they might still play it on tv somewhere but i doubt it. I was just reading up on it, I had no idea it was a spin off of the Andy Griffith show. Wow thats enteresting.

well i stand corrected.....i apoligize. i used to stay with my grandparents alot and they like the old shows...so i used to watch it too!

CurtCA
05-20-10, 10:44 PM
I dont think anyone mentioned "Taking Chance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_iFDCgya8&feature=related (trailer)HBO films

I think what makes this film stand apart form most of the previously mentioned ones is its paints a picture of a side of the marine corps and the military its self.This is not another shoot-em-up or "war" film. When marines fall in battle that they are still honored and taken care of during and after they are transported to their final resting place. Also honorable mention to Kevin Bacon, Prob. one of his best films ever! This film alone along with guidance and mentoring of friend and family(currently or previously serving in the military) this film made me want to be a marine. it demonstrates that even after death marines ALWAYS look out for one another and make sure they get home.

Robbie123
05-20-10, 11:08 PM
My stepdad always argues with me on that topic haha he always says 'They're badass future Marines!'

GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVERRRRR!!!!

anywho, here's my list of 6:

No particular order, I don't like having to choose only one favorite.

-Generation Kill (7 Part HBO Mini-series on Marines invading Baghdad)
-The Pacific (10 Part HBO Mini-Series like Band of Brothers but during the Pacific theater of war, not European, therefore about Marines..Mainly covers the events of 3 Marines, John Basilone, Robert Leckie, and Eugene Sledge)
-Ears Open, Eyeballs Click. & Chapter 1 : Receiving.
-Full Metal Jacket (Of course)
-The Marines (PBS Series on the Marine Corps culture and Warrior Ethos)
-Taking Chance (Kevin Bacon did a superb job also done by HBO)
------ Those are my top favorites in no particular order.

'The D.I.' I've seen this on a few of the other replies, I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing it's worth a watch?

Also, has anyone seen 'Marine - Earning the Title' and 'The Making of a Marine'? I've seen these around but haven't had time to watch yet. So just wondering of your thoughts on it if anyone's seen it.

Robbie123
05-20-10, 11:15 PM
Editing rights went away so I couldn't add this:

Jarhead is not in the list because, well..I don't think it's that great, it's okay...but not the best.
however, favorite part: 'What the f- are you doing here Recruit?' 'SIR, I GOT LOST ON MY TO COLLEGE, SIR.' *head gets slammed into chalk board, scene ends.*