PDA

View Full Version : Okay, we got on the Army...check out the Airforce.

RLeon
06-19-06, 02:48 PM
New Service Dress Uniform in the Future?
from Air Force News Service

May 18 2006

by Master Sgt. Mitch Gettle
Based on feedback received during visits with Airmen across the Air Force, the Air Force Uniform Board is reviewing several concepts that Airmen have suggested regarding the appearance of the service dress uniform.

Some of the informal feedback about the current service dress includes Airmen wanting to revamp the service dress to look more military, like the other services. One senior airman said, “the current uniform resembles a cheesy business suit.” Another staff sergeant said, “think world’s most dominating air power, not CEO,” and another described it as a “cheap leisure suit.”

Other comments have suggested that the uniform needs to reflect the Air Force’s history more. On an Internet message board an Airman recently wrote, “I want to look good and be proud of my AF heritage.” Another Airman wrote that the dress uniform pales in comparison to any of the other services.

"We need something that distinguishes us as proud members of the U.S. military.”
The Air Force began exploring these ideas by producing several prototypes that reflect a combination of ideas that have been gleaned from comments, suggestions and informal surveys conducted over the past several years.

A more formal survey soon will provide additional opportunities for Airmen to provide feedback and comments.

"We’ve been getting informal feedback on our current service dress uniform for several years, and what we consistently have heard from many Airmen is a desire for a more 'military,' and less 'corporate' look and feel, something more reflective of the Air Force’s heritage, and its role as a professional military organization,” said Brig. Gen. Robert Allardice, director of Airman development and sustainment, deputy chief of staff for manpower and personnel.

“The Uniform Board has come up with some options to explore these concepts and the initial prototypes are direct descendants of our heritage, rooted in Hap Arnold and Billy Mitchell’s Air Force,” General Allardice said.

The survey will provide a more formal opportunity to collect feedback on whether or not Airmen want a new service dress, and if so, what changes, likes, or dislikes they have about the prototypes.

“We believe we need to respond to the force and the constant flow of feedback we receive on the service dress is driving this initiative. We see this as an opportunity to do so, along with a chance to reflect on our rich history, as well as the image we wish to portray in uniform,” said General Allardice. “We want to make sure our uniforms, all combinations, meet our current and future needs.”

This process will use the standard Air Force Uniform Board process and as with the Airman’s Battle Uniform, Airmen are encouraged to take the opportunity to directly contribute to how their new service uniform might look.

The Air Force will present options based on feedback received on possible service dress designs through the uniform board process.

Now take a look at these...look kind of familiar?
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/060515-F-0055L-024.JPG

Notice the high collar and belted coat....good grief.
Immitation is the best form of flattery but come on.....:thumbdown
:D

marinegreen
06-19-06, 02:57 PM
I think they look like dried up dog sh**. I f you ask me they almost look like there Russian made but thats my opinion. SF

kentmitchell
06-19-06, 03:15 PM
Is the air force a military service?

sgtofrifleman
06-19-06, 03:16 PM
They look like a bunch of clowns.

outlaw3179
06-19-06, 03:24 PM
oh wow.....youve gotta be ****** kidding me....They look heinous. Its awesome how everyone wants to "look" like a Marine but they would never even contemplate of earning the title of Marine.

chafas2531
06-19-06, 05:19 PM
Air what???
SEMPER FIDELIS!
ben

Camper51
06-19-06, 05:23 PM
and what historical reason do they have for that collar???????????

Bige1371
06-19-06, 06:14 PM
That will be great to see all of the 250lbs plus fatties squeezing into a form fitting uniform.

Cpljamie
06-19-06, 06:52 PM
:sick: eewwwww. I feel dirty!!!!! Did the Air Force earn a uniform while I was on vacation? What the F&#k is this?!?:devious:

jennifer
06-19-06, 08:31 PM
Bleh!!!! They could never be like us!! :p

rb1651
06-20-06, 08:27 AM
and what historical reason do they have for that collar???????????

It gives someone else a handle to pull their head out of their ***. :yes:

sgtrock1970
06-20-06, 08:41 AM
I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but jeez can't they at least change the color to pink or light blue or mauve, something to reflect their heritage.

Camper51
06-20-06, 09:30 AM
Well, Baby blue would be a nice color, or a blue with some white/grey smudgy areas would be a great addition..............Oh, sorry those would be the fatigues, wouldn't it???

Osotogary
06-20-06, 10:00 AM
It almost looks like a Luftwaffe uniform, though not as good.

quillhill
06-20-06, 12:44 PM
*ignores all the AF bashing knowing it's all in good fun*

Ostogary, while I was in Germany, a couple of my brother in law's NCOs said the exact same thing about the Luftwaffe uni resemblance. They weren't all that keen on it.
On the other hand, the cheesy leisure suit sentiment among Airmen is one I can understand.

And the Airmen I know have mad respect for Marines. Although I'm not sure they want to look like you guys. Somehow the information in the survey got translated into this prototype...hmm.

airframesguru
06-20-06, 12:52 PM
Gary,

You're kill'n me. Please tell me the cover (hat for you usaf folks reading this) is not like ours.

S/F,

Mike

SemperFin
06-20-06, 01:18 PM
I think their new cover should look more like a beanie with a propeller on top to show their deep tradition and history.

:devious:

Osotogary
06-20-06, 03:25 PM
Some of the informal feedback about the current service dress includes Airmen wanting to revamp the service dress to look more military, like the other services.

Do you think that the SNCO's, NCO's and Airmen had any input? And if they did..did it really matter? I really don't think so. I think that this was a decision "from above".
Yep,Luftwaffe, WWII edition. The collars go all the way back to the Red Baron and Eddie Rickenbacher(?) of WWI. So far, there's is a good looking uniform somewhere between WWI and StarTrek to be made but no one has found it, as far as I am concerned. I'd like to see what the Flight line NCO's can come up with.

Marine84
06-20-06, 03:37 PM
It STILL doesn't look as good as ours! OOHRAH!

I've been dating a guy that was in the AF - everytime he starts that AF versus Marine ****, ya'll already know that I win but I just tell him that I'm sorry his color blindness got in the way and made him pick the wrong color of blue. AND, no **** ya'll, he didn't even know what a Garrison flag was - I SWEAR I'm NOT joking. So, of course, he just gave me more ammo to use against him.

Camper51
06-20-06, 04:44 PM
I just know Marine84 has done shot that poor flyboy right outta the sky..........HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

quillhill
06-20-06, 06:01 PM
Some of the informal feedback about the current service dress includes Airmen wanting to revamp the service dress to look more military, like the other services.

Do you think that the SNCO's, NCO's and Airmen had any input? And if they did..did it really matter? I really don't think so. I think that this was a decision "from above".
Yep,Luftwaffe, WWII edition. The collars go all the way back to the Red Baron and Eddie Rickenbacher(?) of WWI. So far, there's is a good looking uniform somewhere between WWI and StarTrek to be made but no one has found it, as far as I am concerned. I'd like to see what the Flight line NCO's can come up with.

Heh, not according to the NCOs and SNCOs I talked to ... but that's only half a dozen from one squadron, so what do I know. ;)

Looking at the dress blues my father in law had some 35 years ago when he served in the Air Force, they've only made a few changes. The cover is different (nowadays they wear what they call a garrison cap, but back during the Viet Nam era, they wore, uh, well I can't remember the right name but they look like the Marines barracks cover that goes with the dress blues) and the lapel pins are different.

Anyway, Marine84, your Airman obviously never stood a chance. LOL Well, you'll eventually train him up right and he'll learn not to argue with you. Or you'll kick him to the curb. Heh.

Marine84
06-20-06, 06:24 PM
It's all in fun - hell he served more time than I did - but I ALWAYS win the fight. He thinks it's cool that I went through the Corps being a woman so.............it ain't that hard to win.

RLeon
06-20-06, 06:37 PM
I think their new cover should look more like a beanie with a propeller on top to show their deep tradition and history.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/echo4lima/airfroce-beany.jpg

:marine:

Sniper10
06-20-06, 08:22 PM
What the!!

These people don't have a clue about pride in self, service or uniform.....or they wouldn't be so willing to change so often.

They look like Salvation Army Workers.....No insult intendedto the Salvation Army. Kinda make you want to put a dollar in their pot!! And these are combat prepared airmen????? I'm glad we have our own air support!!

I think it's all part of that old fight to neutralize the pride we have in our Corps by blending us slowly into the "other" services.

They tried it before they'll keep comming back. Stinking liberals. Ted Kennedy is behind this I bet.:devious: Now there's a fine example of a public servant!!

:flag: Break out the Battle Flag Marines!! We're goin to WAR!!!

BOOGIEMAN44
06-20-06, 09:30 PM
Who The Hell Designed That ****.... Hitler, They Look Like There Ready To Join The German's, They Need To Go Back To The Drawing Board...

quillhill
06-20-06, 09:43 PM
It's all in fun - hell he served more time than I did - but I ALWAYS win the fight. He thinks it's cool that I went through the Corps being a woman so.............it ain't that hard to win.
Exactly.

RLeon, I love that beanie. That's too funny. Nice job.

I may be wrong, Sniper10, but I'm fairly certain the Air Force hasn't changed its uniforms much since 1970. The woodland camo BDUs have been around for decades. They'll be changing those during the next few years, though, to the Airman Battle Uniform, following the lead of the Marine Corps and the Army. The dress blues do need changing. Personally they've got a flight attendant look to them with the jacket on that just looks cheesy. They're not so bad if the blazer isn't on.

And as I said before, the handful of Airmen I know are not keen on the whole Luftwaffe/SS/Nazi-era feel those prototypes have. I'm guessing this wasn't any thing anyone under O-7 came up with ... but that's just a theory.

Well, I better go look up the AF uniform history on wikipedia just to be sure.

RLeon
06-21-06, 01:54 AM
Just poking fun...no disrespet to the Flyboys, they shed blood too...but making their uniforms look more military won't cut it, they have to start with their lenient adherence to standards...the Airforce does have standards...right?

SemperFin
06-21-06, 11:55 AM
Can anyone tell me why the Airfarce needs a BDU? Seriously, how much battle are they going to see other than a couple of their "Special Ops" guys?

Common sense would dictate that their camo colors would be gray and black and other colors that blend into a flighline. You might want to throw in a splash of green and brown for those that serve near vegetation.

quillhill
06-21-06, 06:33 PM
Can anyone tell me why the Airfarce needs a BDU? Seriously, how much battle are they going to see other than a couple of their "Special Ops" guys?

Common sense would dictate that their camo colors would be gray and black and other colors that blend into a flighline. You might want to throw in a splash of green and brown for those that serve near vegetation.

You would be surprised how many Airmen are serving in Iraq alongside soldiers, sailors and Marines. Of course, they have desert cammies for that. I saw a whole bunch of them at the Ramstein passenger terminal a couple weeks ago returning from down range.

I personally know a gentleman whose daughter is an Airman who just returned from a six-month deployment to Iraq. She's a medic. I know, amazing, they have medics in the Air Force, too. ;)

As for the woodland set of BDUs, the Air Force agrees with you that it has become obsolete for Airmen, and during the next five years or so are phasing it out in favor of a redesigned utility called the Airman Battle Uniform. Hey, I didn't pick the name, and personally I'm not too fond of it. They could just call them utilities, but you know how fond of acronyms military decision-makers are...

Here's a link to what it looks like:
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123017545

I know it's not primarily blue and black, it's more of a mix of colors. It's...interesting. And though they don't admit it, this is following right behind the Marine Corps' and the Army's switch to a digitized camoflouge pattern.

I have this strange, inexplicable feeling of being pulled in two directions...my brother's an Airman...but I love Marines...don't make me choose. ;)

roaddawg74
06-22-06, 07:52 AM
Those Air Force tailors are gonna be some rich folks with all that extra fabric there gonna have use for those fat-bodies!!

Oh wait, I'm sorry..they work out on their lil treadmills, what am I thinkin?