PDA

View Full Version : To my fellow Lady Leathernecks

Belligerent
06-19-06, 02:16 PM
Marines,

I was wondering if any one has tried out for the All-Marine Softball team in the past, or is going to for this season. I am trying out myself and wouldn't mind a litte infomation on what to expect, etc.

Thanks in advance

S/F

Lcpl Rodriguez

mjordan
06-19-06, 08:58 PM
I was fortunate enough to go to tryouts in the early 80's. It was an experience that I was glad to have had. Not sure what all you want to know but here is what it was like for me then.
We went to 29 Palms, ugh, so the heat played a big factor. Practice early morning, then again in the evening. It's your job as long as you are there, so plan on a good 8 hours of softball a day. Hopefully they aren't using the open squad bays anymore. Just as it was in volleyball camp, be prepared to work harder than you ever have before. I used to run 6 miles a day but I still ended up sore.
First cuts start a week into tryouts. You don't have long to prove yourself so every chance you get, give it your all. Just remember, you have some stiff competition on that field. Enjoy the acquaintances you make, but don't be surprised when they diss you on the field. It's nothing personal.
Sadly, I broke every finger on my throwing hand during the final cuts. Altho a week of R&R with TAD pay and no where to report to was fun (I went to Pendleton and stayed with my high school boyfriend, much to the dislike of his current girlfriend) I would have rather been with the team.
Good luck to you!
PS---expect most of the girls there to already have been there before and know each other well. It's a hard circle to break into, but well worth the energy to do it.

Belligerent
06-20-06, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up, its was pretty much what I was looking for. I am forunate enough to already met one of the other females from my station going to the tryouts too. Hopefully we can break the mold. Thanks again.