PDA

View Full Version : Journal of a Gunny...

Osotogary
06-19-06, 01:59 PM
..in Iraq.

I found this book in the (Ft Lauderdale, Fl.) library system..perhaps it is in yours.
I Am My Brother's Keeper- Journal of a Gunny in Iraq by GySgt Jason K. Doran, USMC (Ret.)
Caisson Press/January 2005

Sample from Foreword:

If you are looking for a literary masterpiece, you have picked up the wrong book. Joyce and the othrs are on a different bookshelf. I was just a grunt, an Infantryman in the Marine Corps. I never graduated high school, never went to college, and the only way I ever learned anything was when I had the hell beat out of me. Those that beat the hell out of me didn't care about my grammer, only if I could assemble a claymore or disassemble my M-16 blind folded. The did not care if I could convey my thoughts to words; they were more interested that I keptmy mouth shut and did what I was told to do. I kept notesas things happened, and on my return to the world via ship, I wrote down my thoughts. But as you will see that sometimes writing what happened was not the foremost of my thoughts or desires. So if you care to, read on.
I was with the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, which was part of the Second Marine Expeditionary Brigade, known as Task Force Tarawa. During this time, I served with Weapons and Bravo Company. I really don't expect you to know any of the places and times I talk about or the people I talk about. What I wrote about could have been played out in any war or battle. However, it is the battle of my brothers that I write about and the war we fought.