PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Ramadi

yellowwing
06-19-06, 06:09 AM
"You are going to be the proud owner of 25 million people. You will own all their hopes, aspirations and problems. You'll own it all," Woodward quotes Powell as warning to President Bush about the consequences of invading Iraq. Privately, Powell and Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage called this the Pottery Barn rule: You break it, you own it.

Maybe that's why SecDef doesn't just unleash one of our Marine Expeditionary Forces to clear out Ramadi. It clearly needs it. Letting the insurgency pick us off in ones and twos is our political problem at home.

Ramadi is twice as big as Fallujah. We broke something like 50% of Fallujah's buildings an infrastructure. That's a big bill at the end of the party. Do we even have the assets to rebuild Ramadi if we really go in guns blazing?

lovdog
06-19-06, 12:11 PM
Yellowwing:
Good point - the cost of war? How many countries can actually afford to go to war at todays prices? Its bad enough to have to burden the bill for our destruction - but adding the cost to rebuild has to be 10 times greater. The USA is still paying for the damage resulting from WWII. Even if you compare the cost of Vietnam which was 30+ years ago. The total bill for the Vietnam War was around 400 billion dollars. Iraq - we have spent that to date already
and are still going strong. Even take a look at the death cost of our Military - as I recall in Vietnam if you were killed the death benefit was 10K - for 60,000, the cost was about 600 million dollars. In Iraq, the toll is 2500 @ 250K benefit - cost is about 600 million. Where will all the money come from to finance this war? Will Iraq help pay the bill for us from oil revenues possibly? Or, will the US just keep the open limit on its credit card? With the Federal Deficit approaching 9 trillion dollars already - where are the future generations going to come up with the vast sums of money to keep our country from going broke? Especially if we continue to mobilize our military to countries all over the world - taking care of the whole planet.
The USA going broke? Think it can't happen? Sooner or later, the well will start to dry up unless the water can be replenished somehow. It seems that most of our lawmakers in Washington are only concerned for today - for tomorrow our problems will be passed on to our future benefactors - the hands of our leaders will be cleansed completely of any wrongdoing.
The majority of our military I believe are concerned about the USA and its welfare and in order to stay a strong nation - you need the capital to continue to be #1 - for us and our future generations. SF

FistFu68
06-19-06, 03:31 PM
:evilgrin: SCRUB A MISSION OR TWO,OF SPACE SHUTTLE- DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY TRIDENT SUB'S, ARE IN OUR FLEET! AT WHAT COST? STOP LOOKING FOR LITTLE GREEN MEN ON MAR'S,WHEN WE HAVE TO TERMINATE MAGGOT'S HERE! 'NUFF SAID~(LONG LIVE FORCE) :evilgrin:

redneck13
06-19-06, 09:42 PM
Bush signs or get's from the hill an additional, oh let's round it off. 100 billion. Most of it for the war. Where do they get the money to do this? Can someone tell me?
FITSU had a good solution, it won't happen. I wish it would my man.
That dat blame shuttle? It's a waste of our money. What, find how flea's breed in space?
Now the subject. Hell no Yellowing. That's just it, we can't afford to destroy and rebuild the whole dat blame country. Plus we have to have a hot spot so them idiot's in Washington can have something to ***** about on both sides.
If the truth were known, that is, which in Washington, the Truth?
I've said on other topic's I'll say it again here. "LET OUR TRAINED LEADER'S OF THE MILITARY DO THEM DAMN JOB'S." "THE HELL WITH DIPLOMACY."
With the firepower we have, we can't win this war?, with the technology we have we can win this war? With all of this we can't win? Who's kiddin' whom? With a small one down the stack, in Iran, Palestine, N. Korea, and tell Saudi Arabia, no, don't tell, give them a choice, as they are the one's whom countrymen have went nuts. Give a little? B.S. "FULL STEAM AHEAD, STEP ASIDE, RUMMY DUMMY, YOU DIDN'T KNOW JACK S. BACK WHEN, AND YOU SURE DON'T KNOW JACK S. NOW, ABOUT "WAR." "LET OUR MEN/WOMEN FINISH THE JOB." SF