PDA

View Full Version : The Twisted Tale of Two Helmets

thedrifter
06-19-06, 05:23 AM
The Twisted Tale of Two Helmets
Strategy Page

June 19, 2006: September 4, 2005: Late last year, the U.S. Army began issuing the new ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet) on a wide scale. At the same time, the marines began distributing a similar "Marine Corps Lightweight Helmet", which is actually 15 percent larger than the ACH (but still smaller and lighter than the older helmet). Since then, there has been a dispute over whether or not fabric padding should be inserted between the webbing like helmet liner, which rests on the wearers skull, and the top of the helmet. The army believes the padding provides additional protection from bomb blasts. The marines say they are still studying the issue. Without the padding, the helmets are lighter, and cooler to wear in very hot conditions. But Congress, and private charities (that are distributing free helmet liners to marines) got involved, and raked marine procurement officials over the coals. Such disputes over "defective weapons and equipment" are a staple of the media, politicians, and anyone looking for a little attention. Most of these crusades are based on bad facts, no facts, or invented facts.

The army expects the ACH to have replaced all the 1980s era PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) helmets by the end of 2007. This Kevlar PASGT design was a third generation combat helmet, and nicknamed the "Fritz" after its resemblance to the German helmets used in both World Wars. The German World War I design, which was based on an analysis of where troops were being hit by fragments and bullets in combat, was the most successful combat helmet in both world wars. This basic design was finally adopted by many other nations, after the American Kevlar helmet appeared in the 1980s. Most of the second generation helmets, which appeared largely during World War II, were similar to the old American "steel pot" design. The fourth generation helmets, currently appearing, use better synthetic materials and more comfortable design. The PASGT came in five sizes, and weighed between 3.1 pounds (size Extra Small) to 4.2 pounds (size Extra Large). The new ACH weighs a third less than the PASGT, and uses a new type of Kevlar that provides more protection. The ACH will stop a 9mm bullet at close range, and rifle bullets at longer ranges. The ACH is smaller, and does not cover as much of the neck. This was important, because the newer protective vests (like the bullet-proof Interceptor) ride high on the back, thus becoming very uncomfortable when the soldier is prone and trying to fire his rifle. The ACH eliminates this problem. The ACH was first developed as a special project by the U.S. Army Special Forces, and was so successful that the rest of the army began buying them.

Ellie

kentmitchell
06-19-06, 03:14 PM
Just looking at the army helmet--and the way some of them wear it (it has to look cool)--a lot of doggies will suffer head and neck wounds from just about any source--shrapnel, bullets, rocks, etc.
The one issued by the Corps looks a lot safer, although I wouldn't know. I wore the steel pot during my career.