PDA

View Full Version : "We've Become the Enemy"

thedrifter
06-18-06, 10:39 AM
"We've Become the Enemy"
Posted By Blackfive

That's what Congressman John Murtha (D-PA) said in the halls of Congress.

It's almost unbelievable that a former Marine and Congressman would say such rhetoric.

What would troops in Iraq think upon hearing those words?

There's been a lot of traffic on the military email and web site nets about holding a mock trial for Murtha to remove his Marine title.

I don't know what good that would do, but I do know part of the antidote for John Murtha's anti-military, anti-victory stance...

Posted on Sat, Jun. 17, 2006
House resolves to back Bush’s policies in Iraq
1st extended debate on war since ’02
By Jonathan Weisman and Charles Babington
Washington Post

WASHINGTON – The House on Friday voted 256-153 to back President Bush’s policies in Iraq after two days of passionate and partisan debate that saw Republicans try to recast an unpopular conflict as part of a broader war on terrorism and totalitarianism.

Forty-two Democrats bucked their leadership to join Republicans and declare that the United States must complete “the mission to create a sovereign, free, secure and united Iraq” without setting “an arbitrary date for the withdrawal or redeployment” of U.S. troops.

Three Republicans – Reps. Ron Paul of Texas, John Duncan Jr. of Tennessee and Jim Leach of Iowa – joined 149 Democrats and one independent to oppose the resolution. Five others – three Democrats and two Republicans – voted present in protest.

Public opinion polls continue to show the Iraq war is deeply unpopular, even in the wake of the death of al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

But, convinced they cannot avoid the issue in an election year, Republicans tried to put Democrats on the defensive with the first extended debate on the war since Congress authorized the use of force nearly four years ago.

House Republicans sought to frame the conflict in the broadest possible terms, linking it to not only the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the war on terrorism but also to what they saw as the Clinton administration’s repeated failures to act after terrorist attacks in the 1990s.

“The American public deserves to hear how their elected leaders will respond to international terrorism and those enemies who seek to destroy our American way of life. Will we fight or will we retreat?” asked House Majority Leader John Boehner of Ohio. “Let me be clear: Those who say this is a war of choice are nothing more than wrong. This is a war of necessity.”

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said the question before the House was whether “the global war on totalitarianism is worth fighting.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California countered: “Republicans in Congress continue to try to mislead the American people by suggesting a link between the war in Iraq and the war on terror. They are distinct … and efforts to portray one as part of the other are a disservice to the truth and to the men and women fighting in Baghdad, Kirkuk and Ramadi.”

“We’ve become the enemy. We’ve given a microphone to people like Zarqawi,” said Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa. “We support the troops. It’s the policy we don’t support.”

For much of the past four years, House Republicans have avoided serious debate on Iraq. The Senate, not the House, held hearings on prisoner abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison. The Senate, not the House, descended into bitter debate last year over an amendment by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to ban torture at U.S. detention facilities. And the Senate, not the House, pushed into law a measure declaring 2006 a “year of significant transition” in Iraq.

But with midterm elections less than five months away, House leaders – driven in part by dissenting voices in their party – decided their members needed to engage the Iraq issue directly.

“I think all members are going to have to express themselves on this issue as the year goes on. There is no way of avoiding it,” Boehner said.

But Republicans wanted to air it out under the most favorable circumstances, debating a leadership-tailored resolution over 10 hours that would not be subject to amendment and would not face competing policy statements. By drafting a resolution that supported U.S. troops, emphasized triumphing over terrorism and called for victory in Iraq, GOP leaders had constructed a measure that was “hard not to support,” said Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va.

After the vote, Republicans crowed that they had held ranks while highlighting Democratic division.

Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said that “we are pleased that 42 Democrats defied their leadership and stood with House Republicans to support both our troops and their mission to win the global war on terror.”

The 42 Democrats were mostly Southerners and members in swing districts, but they included a few surprises, such as Reps. Howard Berman of suburban Los Angeles and Stephen Lynch of Boston.

But the Democratic defections were about half the 81 who voted in October 2002 to authorize the use of force, an indication, some said, that the potency of the issue is defusing even in swing districts.

Hawkish Democrats who voted for the invasion, such as Rep. Jane Harman of California, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee and Harold Ford Jr., a candidate for Tennessee’s open Senate seat, felt free to vote against the resolution.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-18-06, 10:42 AM
Murtha Jumps the Shark
Posted By Froggy
BlackFive

Ex-Marine Colonel and current leader of the Cowardice Caucus in the House of Representatives, John Murtha has now made the transition from gutless Congressional peace activist to outright laughingstock. He began his atmospheric rise to liberal icon status by breathlessly intoning the President to immediately withdraw troops from Iraq so that they can be extracted from an Iraqi "civil war". Not content to merely serve as Defeatist in Chief, Murtha doubled down to be come one of the biggest Blue Falcons in Marine Corps history by prematurely condemning as guilty several of his ex-comrades- Semper Backstabis. Now from the NRO Media Blog via Allah comes this gem from a CNN interview:

MURTHA: The thing that disturbed me and worries me about this whole thing is we can't get [the administration] to change direction. And I said over and over in debate, if you listen to any of it, in Beirut President Reagan changed direction, in Somalia President Clinton changed direction, and yet here, with the troops out there every day, suffering from these explosive devices, and being looked at as occupiers — 80 percent of the people want us out of there — and yet they continue to say, "We're fighting this thing." We're not fighting this. The troops are fighting this thing. That's who's doing the fighting.

By the way, this subject has actually come up before. bin Laden recalls the moment that his movement gained the confidence to take on the United States:

"After leaving Afghanistan, the Muslim fighters headed for Somalia and prepared for a long battle, thinking that the Americans were like the Russians," bin Laden said. "The youth were surprised at the low morale of the American soldiers and realized more than before that the American soldier was a paper tiger and after a few blows ran in defeat. And America forgot all the hoopla and media propaganda ... about being the world leader and the leader of the New World Order, and after a few blows they forgot about this title and left, dragging their corpses and their shameful defeat."

The move by Clinton in 1993 to evacuate Somalia following the "Blackhawk Down" battle where American Rangers and Delta Force operators killed several hundred Somalis while losing only 18 soldiers is widely acknowledged as a seminal moment in the evolution and elevation of Al Qaida as the most significant terrorist organization in the history of the world. That is not to say that Reagan did us any favors by pulling out of Beirut in 1984, but fortunately the jihadis were busy with the Soviets and not focusing on the US.

Murtha's invocation of this event as an example for future US foreign policy decision-making demonstrates a lack of perspective that is so completely absurd that it defies logic. It is so shockingly wrong that if you didn't know who was saying such a thing you would have to conclude the man was joking. And therefore any American leader who would say such a thing, by definition is himself a joke.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-19-06, 06:32 AM
Murtha admits he has become the enemy
Posted By Uncle Jimbo
Blackfive

Update: I do these rants unscripted with a bunch of ideas I would like to discuss, after that I just launch. I mentioned MSG Tim Martin, who died in Mogadishu, and that he had been on the Desert One raid when Delta tried to rescue the hostages that the Mullahs took in Iran, when I mentioned his presence in Somalia I said it was to maybe kill a warlord. That was a bad characterization, because the mission was to capture a warlord and his role in the end was helping rescue downed pilots. Disclosure: MSG Martin was a Team Sergeant in Oki when I was a serial-violating cherry and most of the times we drank beer involved him lecturing me on my numerous shortcomings.

It's almost a full time job for our crack editorial team here at Blackfive just to report on each instance of Rep. Murtha making a WTF? statement. Froggy got him from Meet the Press this morning proving he is either astonishingly stupid regarding the capabilities of our military or just willing to say anything. He got Matty O' bangin' on him here, and the king of running away gets a little Uncle J love for all his foolishness.

Ellie