PDA

View Full Version : Real fathers don't abandon their children

fontman
06-18-06, 07:58 AM
Legislation would help those trying to do the right thing. And punish those who didn't.

On this Father's Day, as we celebrate the men who shaped our lives, we should also pause to remember the millions of American children living without a father, and the millions of American men who are not fulfilling their responsibility to be fathers.

Today, too many men seem to think that fatherhood ends at conception. These men, so many of them still so young, leave mothers to bear the brunt of being both mom and dad, forcing them to face the challenges of raising a child and providing for the family on their own.

These women often perform this role heroically, but the statistics tell us what so many of them already know - that children are better off when their father is also involved.

Children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime. They are nine times more likely to drop out of school, five times more likely to commit suicide, and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, to run away from home, and to become teenage parents themselves.

So the question is: What do we do as a nation to solve this problem? How do we make sure that these boys start acting like men?

First, we will need a change in attitude. We will need to realize that government can't legislate responsibility - that change can't come just from Washington. As fathers, we need to teach our boys that having a child doesn't make you a man - that what makes you a man is having the courage to raise a child.

But what government can do is to make it easier for those who make that courageous choice - and to make it harder for those who avoid it. The legislation we are introducing, called "The Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act," will provide support for fathers who are trying to do the right thing in making child-support payments by providing them with job training and job opportunities and expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit. It also stops penalizing marriage in the tax code, and makes sure that children and mothers, not the government, receive every penny of child support.

At the same time, it cracks down on men who are ignoring their parental responsibilities by increasing child-support enforcement to $4.9 billion over 10 years, a measure that will collect nearly $20 billion in payments that can help raise, nurture and educate children.

Past efforts demonstrate the promise of these ideas. Throughout the early 1990s in Indiana, a statewide effort to encourage responsible fatherhood gave men the skills required to find and keep a job. In 1996, Indiana hosted the largest-ever statewide conference on responsible fatherhood and later launched one of the first state chapters of the National Fatherhood Initiative. Nearly 10 years later, more than 20,000 men have become better dads through these community-wide efforts, providing children with the emotional support of a real father and a better shot in life.

In Illinois, innovative transitional employment programs have also proved that when unemployed fathers gain the skills and experience they need to get and keep jobs, the benefit for their children, their families and their communities is enormous.

The American family is the foundation of our society, and strengthening that foundation is in the best interest of all of us, regardless of race, gender, class or political party. It is not a subject you may see reported on the nightly news or argued about on the Senate floor, but it is critical to many Americans struggling to raise their families.

As fathers ourselves, we know the tremendous pressures facing American families today. But our nation's future is only as secure as our children are, and promoting fatherhood is essential in making sure that every child has the chance to thrive. As we think about our own fathers and grandfathers, let this day mark the beginning of a new commitment to fatherhood in America - a commitment that brings families together and makes men of boys.

Sen. Evan Bayh is a Democrat representing Indiana; Sen. Barack Obama is a Democrat representing Illinois

Contact Sen. Evan Bayh at http://www.senate.gov/~bayh. Contact Sen. Barack Obama at http://obama.senate.gov/

Bige1371
06-18-06, 08:53 AM
"Children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime. They are nine times more likely to drop out of school, five times more likely to commit suicide, and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, to run away from home, and to become teenage parents themselves."

This is the typical stereotype here. I grew up without a father as did my two brothers. Sure we where not the richest people but we had enough money to not miss a meal. The only crime any of us where involved in was the police came because my do was dog barking to loud. Just a warning. Two of us have graduated high school and the other will finish next year. None of us have killed our self. I will be going to prison in less than two weeks but to work not as an inmate. No behavioral problems. I guess we all wanted to run away from home because we all enlisted in the Marine Corps I did four years one Brother in now and the other just Deped in a few weeks ago. I did become a parent but at the age of 23 after being married my brothers aren't married and do not have children. I know that was not your point of the story but I just felt the need to dispel a common stereotype for kids that grow up without a father. I'm sure there are many others on this site with similar experiences.

MotherofPooleeN
06-18-06, 06:24 PM
This is the typical stereotype here. I grew up without a father as did my two brothers. Sure we where not the richest people but we had enough money to not miss a meal. The only crime any of us where involved in was the police came because my do was dog barking to loud. Just a warning. Two of us have graduated high school and the other will finish next year. None of us have killed our self. I will be going to prison in less than two weeks but to work not as an inmate. No behavioral problems. I guess we all wanted to run away from home because we all enlisted in the Marine Corps I did four years one Brother in now and the other just Deped in a few weeks ago. I did become a parent but at the age of 23 after being married my brothers aren't married and do not have children. I know that was not your point of the story but I just felt the need to dispel a common stereotype for kids that grow up without a father. I'm sure there are many others on this site with similar experiences.

Amen -- from a single mom!!! :thumbup:

hrscowboy
06-18-06, 11:13 PM
My 2 cents on this if there gonna do this to the fathers of these children they also need to do this to the women also.. Trust me i have been through this with my grandchildren where the Mother ran off and left the children. I and My Son supported there 2 children then 4 years later she returns and trys her damnnnnnnnest to get the kids back in court costing my son alot of Money for attorneys and all the bull crap. Another thing i think should be implemented is that who ever recieves child support should have to keep reciepts for everything she buys for that child and she should be audited every 6 months to be sure that money is actually being spent on the children and not herself, which sometimes happens most of the time. Being a retired chief of police i have had to arrest fathers for non support and after the all the bull crap it came down that Most fathers want to try to support the children but the courts award child support that is totally out of line for the fathers paycheck he recieves. Never have i arrested any fathers that just plain didnt want to take care of there children it came down to the courts and how much they awarded. Right or Wrong the system is not working and it needs to be fixed. enuff said..