PDA

View Full Version : The big difference between Vietnam and Iraq

thedrifter
06-17-06, 07:19 AM
The big difference between Vietnam and Iraq
June 16th, 2006
Greg Richards

A couple of days ago Senator Kerry clarified his position on the Iraq War. At the Democrats’ Take Back America strategy conference, in Washington, he said that his vote for the war was a mistake and that we should bring the troops home.

His analogy is Vietnam – in Kerry’s view we stayed too long in Vietnam and now “it is time for us to go” from Iraq. And there are superficial parallels between Vietnam and Iraq that many have remarked on – particularly that we are fighting an enemy who is hard for us to find, with much initiative on his side.

But there is a big difference between Vietnam and Iraq. Ultimately, in Vietnam, we could choose as much war as we wanted. We could, and ultimately did, retire without serious consequences. That is not true for Iraq.

Ho Chi Minh, whatever his faults, only wanted to get to Saigon. Osama bin Laden and the radical Islamist jihad wants to get to New York and Washington. That is the big difference.

We are fighting in Iraq, yes, for the Iraqis, but also for ourselves. This war is enlightened self-interest. We fight and prevail over the Islamist forces in Iraq, which will go a long way to discrediting them, or we fight them here. Yes, there is no assurance that we won’t also have to fight them here anyway, but our offensive strategy in the War of Terror has been far more successful than anybody would have bet on after 9/11 – no major attacks in the U.S. in five years.

Another attack will come. We cannot seal ourselves off. But it will come sooner and more ferociously if we surrender in Iraq. For if we surrender there, where will we fight? When, in a war, a country goes on the offensive, there are always endless alternatives, endless strategies, endless disagreements. If people think that World War II was a royal road to victory with “everybody agreeing” think again. The Navy and the Army fought each other over the priorities of the Pacific and of Europe. The British and the Americans fought over strategy in Europe. If you read the memoirs of any of the leading players, particularly the more acerbic ones, you find little harmony. It is simply a cost of doing business that there will be disagreements. That we have them now, concerning how the Iraq War should have been or should be fought, well, welcome to reality. Surrender is a seduction. Surrender vs. pressing on regardless was the essential difference between the French and the British in World War II. Surrender is the choice the French General Staff made in June 1940 – that it was the smart choice to give up than fight a great evil. So history shows that this is not a decision that others have refused to take. They have taken it. The French were lucky that first the British and then ourselves stayed in the field and so they did not have to live with the consequences of their decision over the long term.

But we would live with the consequences. Clinton is criticized for abandoning Mogadishu after the Black Hawk Down incident. I have never agreed with that. The mistake was letting our troops get into mission-creep: to go from guarding the UN food operation to going on the offensive against Aideed without the proper leadership and planning.

The reason our guys got into trouble in Mogadishu is that the Abraham Lincoln carrier battle group had been sent off into the Indian Ocean, the Marine amphibious unit had been sent back to the Gulf and the request for heavy equipment – tanks and artillery was refused in Washington. There was no back-up for our light forces when they were bushwacked. But, having made that mistake, Clinton was right to withdraw the troops (after securing the return of the captured helicopter pilot Michael Durant by sending Robert Oakley to tell Aideed that either Durant was released or we would flatten the entire city looking for him). Why? Because we had no real mission in Mogadishu. And aside from securing Durant’s release, it is not in the American character to engage in destruction purely for revenge.

But none of that applies in Iraq. In Iraq we do have a mission – to defeat terrorism as a political tactic, both for the benefit of the Iraqis and for our own benefit. If we fail in that mission, if we retreat, if we surrender, the price will be much higher and very likely to be paid closer to, if not at, home. Iraq is not Vietnam, whatever the superficial similarities. This time there is no substitute for victory now that we have been called out.

Ellie

redneck13
06-18-06, 12:23 PM
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]:flag: There's a lot of truth in this article. Yet to me? It's just another one's opinion and spin on the War. Vietnam-Iraq? Hey let's be clear on this subject. I've done a lot studying on the subject of Vietnam. That doesn't make any difference. The comparison about Vietnam and Iraq is not in the ideaology of what is to be taken, who wants to do what. The similarites that most of us OZ Vet's see as to a comparison? Is....."The invisible "ENEMY." We can't depict or separate one possibly Iraqi to a Jordanian." Not unlike VC. Most VC wore black. But what they wore during the day, or not fighting, was what all Vietnamese wore. When it came time for a fight or to join up with their comrads in the bush, then they wore Black PJ's. Yes, there were those who were VC, which by all standards set the ways and mean's of guerilla war fare, aka, Terrorism. With their own, and forced other's, to walk into a group or other GI's, and blow themselves up, including children. What is going on now? These embeseleptic (my own word) extremist, Jihad, whatever, are using tactic's not unlike the VC. IED's, car bombs, shoes loaded with exspolsives, other means. This is the comparison to Iraq and Vietnam. That's what the majority is talking about. Not ideology, etc. Just for what it's worth. Good article, but not even close to the real comparison's that OZ vet's see from our war to the present. SF/COLOR]

lovdog
06-18-06, 08:33 PM
I believe Mr. Richards needs to look at some statistics on Vietnam - to say that the US left with no serious complications is far from accurate. We left that country in shambles - the Vietnamese that sided with the US - the ones that were left behind had two choices - either stay & be killed or jump on a boat & try to get to another plot of land that was sympathetic to your plight! Ellie gave me the figures about a year ago - 2.5 million Vietnamese lost their lives. Almost 60 thousand Americans also lost their lives. Now add the statistics about our wounded, suicides and medical problems that developed from being in the war - who knows how many have perished. We were sent by our nation to stop the spread of communism - well, we slowed it up a little - but at what cost? Originally the US was sent in as advisory staff only - trying to help the South Vietnamese on the art of new warfare - that was I believe in 1961. By 1965 we were landing on the beaches & starting the fight with our boys full fledged!! We were in it now!! Add the politics to that war - back & forth across the DMZ - it was like a yo-yo for another 10 years!
Did we learn anything from this war? You would think that one of your main priorites would be - if your dealing with the lives of Military men and women - and you decide to send them into harms way - you had better have a damn good reason for doing so! And only after all other options are exhausted!!
As a military person, it is your duty to carry out the orders of your Commander in Chief and Congress - who are supposed to speak for the nation as a whole. But, it is the right of everyone of this country to question the decisions of our lawmakers when it comes to our lives, and the lives of our comrades.
In the Iraq War - there are far too many questions that have surfaced that were never answered - politicians preferred to evade them, and for what reasons? The majority of the terrorists that performed on the 9/11 date were from Saudi Arabia - yet the Saudi's were left alone (also Syria) - and Iraq became the principal target. After Desert Storm - the United Nations scoured Iraq for weapons of mass destruction - not turning up much of anything. And, was this the real reasoning for our going into Iraq - or perhaps other reasons that are "unclassified" - and maybe we'll find out 25 years from now - what really went on behind closed doors?
Ok, so now we're in Iraq - too late to turn back now. Some say, we've got another Vietnam on our hands while others say "stay the course" - it'll pay off in the long run.
One thing for sure, both Vietnam and Iraq - alot of people start to ask questions - especially from the ones that have lost their sons and daughters on how justified the war really is - and what will the ultimate cost be? For every person that is for the war - you'll find one against it!!
Will Iraq and its new leadership be able to solidify their country without the help of the US Military? Or will it turn to Civil War?
At least Vietnam was - North vs South. Iraq - you have a mix now of not only the outside insurgents but three warring factions within the country - and the US is caught in the middle of the ruckus!! Now it gets a little confusing - who do we fight? Or, just fight anyone that looks dangerous?
We only "thought" that Vietnam was confusing - Iraq has to be four times as confusing!!
The US is an invading force to some Iraq people also, lets not forget that. (shoe on the other foot) - what would happen to us US citizens if we were invaded by a foreign country - sent to supposedly help us out?? Would we not fight back - and try to expel those forces from our land, any way that we could? I don't believe all Iraqi citizens actually have greeted us with open arms - and those will always continue to resist any foreign involvement.
I don't have many answers but as long as this battle continues - the amount of questions can only get larger. SF

booksbenji
06-18-06, 11:03 PM
Paul, Most VC wore black! Wrong!, they wore watt they had on, to us kill in the streets or drive by shooting on motorbike, with hand grenades with kids behind 'em, booby traps of all kind everywear some dumbas* wood p/u it up, blows a hands or face to smittens. The WOT is very similiar in alot ways.

No uniforms, we are not fighting the jerrys (WW1 or WW2), the Native American on the plains of America 2 centuries ago, nor the redcoats twice.

Alot people cannot tell the difference 'tween the Gooks (not PC, WTF) nor the towelheads. I fought the Gooks. I have a son fighting again in his 2nd tour, told me thanks for clues to spot the enemies from I had learned the hard way, he is still alive.

It's the same tactics that we faced 35 yrs ago, just updated. I could go into fire zone and spot the SOB's, IED's(booby traps), blow 'em before u go. Just any 'Nam Vet and they will tell the same, IT HAS JUST BEEN UPDATED, we faced RPG's then and we are facing 'em now again. Jerrys and Ruskies had RPG's in WW2.

Watt's the problem with telling the truth that we are fighting an unseen a bright duncehead that wear no uniform. We fought 'em SOB's before, on the plains of AMERICA, in the "paddies". We fight 'em again in the future. The Marines will be first in and the last out as always. TRADITION http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/handsalute.png

Sorry folks ifin I don't argee, but the truth is played in the papers, on tv. I see it played every day on the tv, news reports, DOD listing. Rings a VERY SIMILAR tune in head from 35 yrs ago. 2500th death was a MARINE. The last 2 deaths in 'NAM was 2 MARINES. I stand my ground.

books
Semper Fi

http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/handsalute.png

Wyoming
06-19-06, 08:08 AM

The big difference? Is there one? Maybe, BUT, the press and the media will eventually lose this war and win it for the terrorists.

Vietnam? We were winning when I left.

The Wall Street Journal published an interview with Bui Tin who served on the General Staff of the North Vietnam Army and received the unconditional surrender of South Vietnam on April 30, 1975.

During the interview Mr. Tin was asked if the American antiwar movement was important to Hanoi's victory.

Mr. Tin responded "It was essential to our strategy", referring to the war being fought on two fronts, the Vietnam battlefield and back home in America through the antiwar movement on college campuses and in the city streets.

He further stated the North Vietnamese leadership listened to the American evening news broadcasts "to follow the growth of the American antiwar movement."

Visits to Hanoi made by persons such as Jane Fonda, former Attorney General Ramsey Clark and various church ministers "gave us confidence that we should hold on in the face of battlefield reverses."

Mr. Tin surmised, "America lost because of its democracy; through dissent and protest it lost the ability to mobilize a will to win."

Mr. Tin further advised that General Vo Nguyen Giap (Commanding General of the North Vietnam Army) had advised him the 1968 Tet Offensive had been a defeat.

redneck13
06-19-06, 09:18 PM
:flag: Very well put Gentlmen. More of these sort's of "personal" opinion's by these dip**** op/ed jackasses, and the war will be like Nam in yet the exact thing ya'll talked about here, the damn press.
And, as ya'll have so eloquently stated, the hog wash of Iraq, not being anything like Vietnam? Is just that, B.S.
In my experience's dealing with VC, I only seen them in black PJ's. I know they were like the terrorist's today in Iraq. They dress, look alike, then you're dead. I just can't understand how so many people who were witness on both sides of the Nam War, can't see the parallel of what is actually going on. I think it's because, one, and only one reason, most weren't there. Morely Safer's two books, is a good read. Yes he showed some picture's while broadcasting from OZ, that raised a ruckus, especially with LBJ, who wanted him fired, and the news went way out of it's way to make it seem like we were all butcher's, non feeling, non caring people. He speaks about it in his book. Yes, the NVA/VC lost tet, and when we had them on the run, our wonderful politician's of the likes of Kerry today, held us back. I will never forget, nor will your Son's/Daughter's, who are fighting another war exactly like it. LDog put it very good perspective. Too many to fight against, who should we fight. How many yrs, after WWII have we been in Germany? How many yrs. since Korea, have we been in South Korea. When will the politic's stop, and the Military allowed to do their jobs? I haven't seen any press in one form or another, with panel's of discussion's that has/hasn't totally supported this War. I say in closing. Let the People trained to do what they've done all their lives, DO THEIR JOBS, AND TO HELL WITH DIPLOMACY!! SF. Again, a great discussion, in fact one of the few, that I've totally enjoyed without some nimrod making stupid statement's, or not knowing what the hell they're talking about, butt in, and start to make people upset. Thank you to our Moderator's. SF to ya'll too. God Bless.