PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Tots help needed!

MAJMike
12-22-02, 01:49 PM
Fellow Marines:

Throughout the country, reports are coming in that the annual Toys for Tots drive sponsored by the Marine Corps Reserve is far short of meeting expectations in providing new toys for needy children this year. In my home town of Atlanta, GA, TFT is an incredible 193,000 toys short of meeting its goal.

I ask all of you to make an effort in the last few days before Christmas to buy and deliver a new toy to the Toys For tost drive in your community.

To find a local contact, go to

http://www.toysfortots.org/

Thank you and I wish all of you the happiest of holidays and a prosperous 2003.

MAJMike
USMCR 1968-76

thedrifter
12-23-02, 07:11 AM
WASHINGTON -- Secretary of State, Colin L. Powell, presented Marine Toys for Tots Foundation representatives with more than 4,500 toys Dec. 19 during a ceremony held in the Harry S. Truman building.

The goal for this year, was to double last year's donation said State Department Toys for Tots coordinator, Jonathon Myers, Special Projects Officer for Diplomatic Security-who also happens to be a Marine Corps Reserve major. Last year the State Department donated about 2,000 toys, valued at more than $20,000, the largest donation ever by a government agency, according to Don Blake, of Diplomatic Security. This year's donations are more than triple that figure so far, and at last count were valued at $65,000.

More than $5,000 in monetary donations was also collected.

Myers attributes the difference in this year's and last year's collections to passing the word.

"Last year's collection points were in locations that no one knew about," said Myers. "This year we consolidated the collection points and informed everyone of each location throughout the different government buildings in DC."

The information proved beneficial for this year's Toys for Tots drive, and thousands of children who might not otherwise have gifts will now have smiles because of it.

The next challenge for the State Department is to figure out how to triple the value of donations for 2003.

Sempers,

Roger

gwladgarwr
12-24-02, 04:47 PM
Delta Co, 4th LAR at Camp Upshur was able to do its part this year and collected a good number of toys (unsure as to how many and numbers aren't in yet.) During one event where LCpl Hanley and I worked, we were able to raise $700.00 in a dart tournament and a huge boxful of toys in a bar that is to remain nameless (OK, it's called Chelsea Joe's in Manassas). Hopefully we were able to make a difference again this year.

Merry Christmas, Marines. Semper Fidelis.
Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
Gan ddumuno iechyd a hapusrwydd i chi yn 2003

gwladgarwr (LCpl Race)