PDA

View Full Version : Excerpts From the Debate in Congress About the War in Iraq

thedrifter
06-16-06, 05:43 AM
June 16, 2006
Excerpts From the Debate in Congress About the War in Iraq
New York Times

Excerpts of remarks made by the House Speaker, J. Dennis Hastert, at the beginning of the debate Thursday on a resolution about the Iraq war:

"This resolution is about more than the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is about a global war to protect American ideals, and the democracy and values on which this great nation was founded. This resolution, Mr. Speaker, like this war itself, is about freedom.

"Just 12 days ago I returned from Iraq. I can tell this House that the morale of our fighting men and women there is sky high. They are not suffering from doubt and 'second guessing.' And they certainly are not interested in the political posturing about the war that often goes on in this city. They know why they are there. They know they are liberators doing good and they believe passionately in their mission. It is not possible to talk to these men and women without being inspired by their courage, their determination, their professionalism, and their patriotism.

"I came home from Iraq believing even more strongly, that it is not enough for this House to say, 'We Support Our Troops.' To the men and women in the field, in harms way, that statement rings hollow if we don't also say we support their mission...

"While I was in Iraq, I met with Prime Minister al-Maliki as well as my counterpart, the Speaker of the Iraqi Parliament. We talked about the birth of democracy in Iraq.

"I looked the Speaker in the eye and I said, 'Mr. Speaker, I admire you. The Iraqi people represent an ancient civilization, but your democracy is just beginning. Your challenges are great but so too are your opportunities.'

"I urged the Iraqi people to look forward and not back; to listen to the voices of reconciliation, not division; I urged them to choose unity. They told me that they were succeeding in putting together a Unity Cabinet, and shortly after my return they announced the names of the last three ministers that deal with critical security issues.

"Each Iraqi official I met with, even the Iraqi Speaker, who originally viewed the US presence in Iraq negatively, thanked me for the help America has given their country. He went further and urged us to stay with them while they build up the capacity to take over the task of providing security for their people.

"Today in Iraq we are working together with Iraqi patriots, men and women elected by their fellow citizens. Along with brave Iraqi soldiers and police, we are moving toward the day when the Iraqi government on its own has the strength to protect their people; a day when our men and women and their coalition partners, can come home. The 'stand up' of this new Iraqi government, which is the fruit of three elections where Iraqi citizens held up their ink stained fingers and resisted intimidation, brings us closer to that day.

"President Bush told us from the beginning that this road would not be easy. We have lost many American lives and each one is precious to us. Our fighting men and women remain committed to the effort. Active duty retention and recruiting is meeting or exceeding all objectives. We are making progress toward our goal but the battle is not over. It is a battle we must endure and one in which we can and will be victorious. The alternative would be to cut and run and wait for them to regroup and bring the terror back to our shores.

"When our freedom is challenged, Americans do not run. 'Freedom is the very essence of our nation,' President Reagan said in 1990 when a section of the Berlin Wall was presented to his Presidential Library. He continued, 'But even with our troubles we remain a beacon of hope for oppressed peoples everywhere.' President Reagan also observed that freedom is not passed on at birth. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on and that is happening. Freedom is being handed on. Our soldiers, sailors, coastguardsmen, airmen and marines are serving proudly and bravely in harsh conditions, far from their families.

"When I was there, I told them their task was important and how proud we all were of their service. But frankly, our men and women in uniform did not need to be told. In fact, it is we who should listen to them.

"They know their sacrifices on foreign shores are keeping the battle against the terrorists out of our cities. They know that by going into harms way, they are keeping American freedoms safe. They know they are helping a proud but brutalized people to throw off tyranny and stand tall once again. They know they are liberators not occupiers. Our men and women in uniform know all this and they are proud of it. It is time for this House of Representatives to tell the world that we know it too, that we know our cause is right and that we are proud of it.

"Stand up for Freedom, adopt this resolution."

Excerpts of the prepared text of a statement by Rep. Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland, the House Democratic Whip, in opposition to the Republicans' Iraq resolution:

"This year — 2006 — should be a year of transition in Iraq. And, it is my expectation that the United States will be able to reduce the American troop deployment over the ensuing months and transfer the risks and responsibilities to the duly-elected government of Iraq.

"Today, it is regrettable that this Republican majority seeks to exploit the critical issue of national security for political advantage. The resolution before us — like the Hunter Resolution that was debated last December — was drafted solely for political reasons. As Majority Leader Boehner explained, its purpose is an opportunity to create 'a portrait of contrasts between Republicans and Democrats.' For our country's sake and for our troops' sake, the majority should have offered a resolution that sought unity, rather than division.

"There are provisions in this resolution, of course, with which all of us agree. I, for one, strongly share the resolve to prevail in the war on terror. However, this resolution misstates the facts about why the Bush Administration instigated our military action against the Hussein regime in 2003. It paints a picture of Iraq today that does not comport with the reality on the ground. And, it ignores the fundamental responsibility of this Congress to conduct meaningful oversight of the Administration's conduct of this war.

"The political motivations underlying this Resolution have been laid bare, and thus I will be forced to vote 'no.' The American people will not be deceived by this exercise today..."

Ellie