PDA

View Full Version : Health question

kingsimpson
06-14-06, 04:36 PM
Hello. I am 22 years old and want very much to become a Marine. I am in very good health other than the fact that I was born with a birth defect known as pectus excavatum, or a "concave chest." I recently had an operation to fix the problem and am recovering well. To fix this condition they had to take out 10 pieces of cartlidge between my ribs and sternum and break my sternum, adjust it, and secure it by screwing two titatnium plates into it. The surgery actually increases my lung capacity from about 75% too 100%, so upon full recovery I should be better than ever.
My question is, should I expect any difficulty in enlisting? I plan to contact a recruiter when I recover a little further, but was just curious if anyone had any idea about possible problems. There is nothing I want to do more than become a United States Marine. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sixguns
06-14-06, 05:07 PM
You will require a medical waver for sure. A medical waiver can usually be obtained for one plate or one screw/pin. Not sure how your case will be viewed if you have two plates and a number of screws.

Start rounding up the doctor's notes and op notes. These will be needed just for you to be considered for a physical at MEPS. It also gives the Chief Medical Officer at MEPS a chance to review service requirements and guidelines for that injury/procedure. It is possible that MEPS can disqualify you, but the Marine Corps can obtain a Bureau of Navy Medicine waiver if warranted.

You definitely need to be fully recovered BEFORE you attempt to send info to a recruiter or MEPS. Incomplete medical history will not help your cause. You can still take the ASVAB as part of the qualification process. The ASVAB score does come in to play if the Marine Corps needs to process a waiver for you.

kingsimpson
06-15-06, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much. Your information is very helpful.