PDA

View Full Version : Fitness is fun for instructor, former Marine

thedrifter
06-14-06, 07:00 AM
Fitness is fun for instructor, former Marine
David Jacobs (DJACOBS@RGJ.COM)
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
June 14, 2006

Serving in the Marines 24 years, retired Sgt. Major Wayne Baker knows firsthand how military life and fitness work as one.

Baker, 54, of Carson City, served in the Vietnam War and Operation Desert Storm.

"Physical fitness is a top priority in the military," said Baker, part of a two-man team that finished first in his age group and fifth overall in the 2006 Reno Silver Sage sprint adventure.

"I have continued on with fitness since I have gotten out of the military. It's fun and keeps me in shape."

He's known around Northern Nevada as an instructor for Carson High School's Naval Junior ROTC program.

"I try to set an example for physical fitness for the kids in the Junior ROTC," Baker said.

He teamed with Mike Coger of Washoe County in the Silver Sage's "sprint" that included a five-mile run and 10-mile bike ride May 27. The pair finished in about 1 hour and 55 minutes in masters division for competitors 45 and older.

"I feel pretty good when I can go out and compete with some of the younger teams," Baker said.

When he's not racing, he runs about 25 miles a week to stay in shape and coaches a rifle team and drill team.

Baker's coaching also includes orienteering, which he describes as an outdoor adventure.

"I (had) 38 kids go out in the

woods twice this year with a map

and compass," he said. "I teach them how to navigate through the woods."

That skill came in handy in the Silver Sage adventure race.

"We had to go out and find three points in Reno, including one at (University of Nevada, Reno)," Baker recalled. "I won't call it treasure hunt," but it had some similarities.

Candy, his wife of 26 years, didn't think twice when her husband's fitness workouts leading up to the race seemed to stretch longer than normal.

"I honestly didn't realize that he was training," she said. "The only thing I noticed was that he was riding his bike more, and he runs all of the time anyway. I don't recall how it came up, but he said, 'Oh yeah, I have that race coming up.'"

Wayne Baker is thinking about competing in other adventure races "to challenge yourself," as a team or individual.

But he's pacing himself.

"I will wait and see where next year brings me, if I'm still alive."

Ellie