PDA

View Full Version : Marines deserve the benefit of the doubt

thedrifter
06-13-06, 07:23 AM
Editorial: Marines deserve the benefit of the doubt
DelcoTimes

The news that several U.S. Marines are under investigation for a November 2005 incident in Haditha, Iraq, that left 24 civilians dead is not good. But a bad situation has been made worse by some people who have been all too willing to jump to conclusions about their guilt.
One of those jumpers is U.S. Rep. John Murtha, D-Johnstown, who was quick to compare the deaths to the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

"Was this My Lai?" Murtha was asked on a recent cable TV talk show. The host then added, "When you say cold blood, congressman, a lot of people think you’re basically saying you’ve got some civilians sitting in a room or out in a field and they’re executed on purpose."

Murtha’s response: "That’s exactly what happened."

With all due respect to the congressman, he doesn’t know that. In fact, there is ample evidence to the contrary.

The picture being painted by some is that U.S. Marines saw one of their own killed and went on a revenge killing spree, then attempted to cover it up.

Nor surprisingly, the Marines involved tell a different story. While on routine patrol an IED exploded, killing one Marine and injuring two others. While the soldiers scrambled to help the injured they took fire from the direction a single home. The Marines fired back and went on the offensive.

What happened after that is the subject of some dispute. Eyewitnesses have indicated one thing in some media reports. The Marines involved tell a different story.

One, Sgt. Frank Wuterich, says his troops when after insurgents who were firing at them from inside a house. Through his lawyer, he says, innocent civilians were killed but it was in the context of them being used by insurgents as essentially human shields.

Marines are supposed to do a better job distinguishing between combatants and non-combatants even in the middle of a chaotic battle scene in close quarters.

But if Wuterich is telling anything close to the truth, this is a far cry from the scenario of Marines run amok described by Murtha.

The matter is still under investigation and three Marine commanders have been relieved pending the outcome.

In any case, Murtha should know better than to assert things he doesn’t know to be fact.

On "The Chris Matthews Show" he said, "First they (the Marines) tried to say it was an IED, there was no IED involved in this. This was troops, they were so stressed out, they went into houses and killed children, women and children."

By most accounts, there was an IED involved in this. And comparisons to My Lai, the worst atrocity committed by American troops in U.S. history, are at best premature.

Murtha, being a highly decorated Marine himself, ought to know better.

If, when all the facts are investigated, a preponderance of the evidence shows these men acted improperly, violated the Corps rules of engagement and intentionally killed innocent civilians including children, they deserve to be dealt with accordingly.

However, Wuterich’s lawyer says, "It will forever be his position that everything they did that day was following their rules of engagement and to protect the lives of Marines."

Of his client, he says, "He’s really upset that people believe that he and his Marines are even capable of intentionally killing innocent civilians."

Until proven otherwise, Wuterich and his men deserve the benefit of the doubt.

And politicians, like Murtha, ought to refrain from rushing to judgment or encouraging others to do the same.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-13-06, 07:24 AM
Marines deserve an apology

Jun. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

I am disgusted that you allowed the desecration of the symbol of the United States Marine Corps to be published in your paper.

The Marine Corps is a very proud organization and is proud of its history. We are a band of brothers, not a band of murderers.

The fog of war is a very large part of many battles, and I'm confident that the Marines that Steve Benson suggests are murderers saw it differently while engaged in combat.

Benson should apologize to the world's premier fighting force.

Kenneth Etringer, Green Bay, Wis.

The writer is retired from the U.S. Marine Corps.

thedrifter
06-13-06, 07:24 AM
Benson maligns troops

Jun. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

I am appalled by the Benson cartoon depicting the emblem of the United States Marine Corps as if it were bleeding and the pennant below the globe saying, "United States Massacre Cover-up."

The "artist" has made the leap (as have most of the media) that these allegations are true and the Marines are guilty of some war crimes. I ask: Will this "artist" have the integrity to recant his position if these allegations prove to be untrue?

While satirical editorial cartoons are protected by the First Amendment, a fact I truly appreciate, I believe that this picture slanders the reputations of the millions of men who have, are currently and will in the future wear the uniform of the United States Marine Corps.

The public must not lose sight of the fact that it is extremely easy to malign the fine men and women in the military while the "artist" sits safely in his home.

Richard Van Luvender, Havertown, Pa.