PDA

View Full Version : Naval Academey

teufelhund912
06-12-06, 04:54 PM
Hello,

I am still a student in high school and want to continue my eduaction further on. I have always wanted to become a Marine and had a question about what the possibilities are.

What I can see is right now is that I could join the Marines first and then apply to the Naval Academy and go that way if I am accepted or apply there first, if I get accepted, and then join the Marines.

I would also like to know your guys opinions on this and any other ways there might be. And also how I might better my chances of getting accepted. Thanks for your time.

Sixguns
06-12-06, 08:50 PM
There are also opportunities for enlisted Marines to get a seat at Annapolis. MECEP and some other routes allow you to get your education after you enlist and are serving as a Marine.

Annapolis is a tough. Long process to get accepted. Tougher than getting NROTC scholarships. Do your research and find out if you are a top candidate for the academy before you decide.

cplbrooks
06-12-06, 10:47 PM
without a congressional appointment, 4.0 gpa and sports team experience forget Annapolis.

Sixguns
06-13-06, 08:26 AM
I was trying to be diplomatic about it! It is truly a hard slot to get.

dscusmc
06-13-06, 11:48 AM
Annapolis is tough to get into, but you can apply while you are enlisted. I applied when I was a corporal (I was medically disqualified because of my vision. The medical disqualification didn't make sense because I was a 2nd award expert rifleman at the time and I've since had LASIK to correct my vision to better than 20/20.) I didn't bother with a medical waiver, because I only had a year left on my enlistment contract and had other college opportunities.

You have to jump through hoops in the application process - so you want to start it early. I applied over 6 years ago, but I've still got my application.

The appropriate Marine Corps Order for "Enlisted Application for Nomination to the US Naval Academy and Naval Academy Preparatory School" is MCO 1530.11G. Find it and take a look. I provided a link below.

You also have to fill out a USNA application and take their little PFT with the shuttle run and basketball throw (no comment). Most Marines who are accepted go through the Naval Academy Preparatory School (http://www.naps.edu/). You need a good SAT score and you must be in the top 40% of your HS class, according to the MCO.

My understanding is that NAPS is a great program. I was at West Point for a debate tournament back in undergrad in 2002. I talked to a Marine midshipman and got the impression that the SAT score and high school grades / classes were really important.

I believe that enlisted applicants receive their nomination from Sec. of the Navy. If I remember correctly, SECNAV has around 100 nominations each year - I'll let you look that up. Anyways, you can see how competitive each nomination probably is. Moreover, a nomination from a member of Congress may not be necessary. I can't really remember. I know I didn't have a recommendation from my Representative, but I tried (he was not a big help at all - didn't even answer my letter until after the deadline).

Its tough to apply while enlisted because of deployments and the op-tempo. I had to do most of my application while in Thailand. This made some parts tough (like medical, x-rays, timelags on mail, etc).

Anyways - start the process early and take a look at that MCO and the NAPS link.

MCO 1530.11G: If the link doesn't work, go to www.usmc.mil and do a search.
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/bc9ae2674a92558d852569140064e9d8/9339c5ad6ba16dce852564970041b9e7?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,1530.11G

NAPS: http://www.naps.edu/

yellowwing
06-13-06, 01:06 PM
Do not forget to use the Forum Search feature of this site. There are plenty of other's input on this topic if you do some leg work.

Camper51
06-13-06, 02:33 PM
GO FOR IT. No matter what happens and who says what just GO FOR IT!!!