PDA

View Full Version : Don't gripe if you don't write-Open letter to Veteran affair Committee's

redneck13
06-12-06, 02:22 PM
:mad: :!: :flag: June 11th 2006

Mr. Chairman
House Veteran’s Affairs Committee
The Honorable
Mr. Steve Buyer

CC: To: Mr. Chairman
The Honorable Senator Conrad R. Burns
412 Russell
Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C., 20510

Ref: The VA and Veteran’s Personal
Data

Mr. Chairman, Steve Buyer, Chairman Conrad Burns:

I’m taught as a Christian to forgive injustices to me by anyone. This I hope I can convey without any harsh degrading comments I’m going to say in this letter. I must say this though, I’m one very upset Veteran that just can’t go along with what has already been told to your committee by the inspector general’s nor the Secy of Veterans’ affairs, R. James Nicholson.
I must also add here, that your eyes will probably never see this letter. I am in hopes though, that an aide of yours will bring attention to you of what I’m going to say.
I’m not a politician. I cannot use smoke screen’s, mirror’s of deception. I’m going to tell you exactly how I feel, as I’m sure other’s whom are afraid to speak out, might also have the same feelings.
I received a letter from Philadelphia, from the Secy of Veteran’s affairs, R. James Nicholson, which to me, does not solve any issue’s or even address any of the pertinent information as to how, why, who, did this disastrous deed.
It is unbelievable to some extent and yet very understandable as to why it took 3 weeks for the Secy to advise the appropriate people, i.e., the House Committee of Veterans’ affairs. When, “WE” the Veteran’s should of been informed immediately “FIRST”, so as to start taking appropriate action.
I feel very strongly that the 26.5 million Veteran’s, others involved with the Veterans, should be given “NEW SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER’S!!” This would stop any threat or action of the people whom have our personal information, including our social security numbers, which is our very identity!! Otherwise we the Veteran will have to for the rest of our lives be concerned with “IDENTITY THEFT” as well as spouses, former spouse, fiduciaries, care taker’s, whose personal data was also taken.
From the letter.”The data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth of 26.5 million Veteran’s and some spouses???, as well as some disability ratings. As a result of this incident, information not include any of VA’s electronic health records or any financial institution, is to say the least the most despicable, stupid, if not criminal act I’ve ever been witness to. Heads should roll, from the Chief of Staff of the VA facility, to the person whom committed unlawfully the taking home of “OUR PERSONAL DATA”, including the Secy of the VA, with great fervor and diligence.
“Beware of any phone calls, e-mails and other communications
from individual’s claiming to be from the VA or other official sources.
In other words, “WE” the “VETERAN” must take full responsibility, for the unlawful, unauthorized taking of our personal data by some yet un-named individual, when it should be the responsibility of the US Gov’t to provide the care, and take care of us Veteran’s for their lack of responsibility for the letting of this event happened take place!!
It is my belief no matter what these inspector generals say, or the Secy of the VA says, the VA responsible for this confidentiality leak, did everything to they could to make sure they had all their ducks in a row, or in common terms, CYA, until they could get their story straight, then release the information. Any other reason is to me un-acceptable. Why? Because this is exactly how the VA operates. All different office’s clinic’s, claim’s, are all total separate entities. None of them even report to one another. They don’t advise one section about some incident in their section which involves or will involve the same veteran in their section.
Case in point. I had a severe infected tooth. I have had blood poisoning before so I was very concerned that this could lead to that again. Therefore, on a Sunday, I went to the local ER hospital. The Er Dr. started some IV antibiotic’s, then he wanted to make sure that the infection hadn’t spread. He contacted an Oral Surgeon, who said he would extract it the next day. Now...Sunday there isn’t a “reasonable” distance to travel to a VA, which in my case is over 150 miles. Plus it was Sunday. The following day was a Federal Holiday, so limited staff at the main VA, Dallas would be on duty, and our local VA clinic was closed also. I had the tooth pulled. I called “Fee Base” section of the VA-Dallas, and reported to the “dental” section of what occurred. The person said he’d send me forms for the Dentist to fill out, and subsequently was paid. Then he transferred me to the “fee base” medical section, I reported the same. The response was, “I’ll be watching for it.”
A while later I got a notice from the “medical section of fee base”, that my bill’s at the hospital would not be paid. Now, explain this to me. How can it not be, “emergent care” when the dental people with the ER doctor’s report, and dentist report, say it was and that VA and or other Federal Facilities were open? There isn’t any Federal Facilities for me to go to. My Congressman, Louis Gohmert investigated it, and I got a response from him a copy of the C.O.S. letter back to him. It read in part; “Mr. Baileys’ case was carefully reviewed by our Fee Base Dr. And it was determined it was not an “emergency” and it didn’t come within the scope of the “rules” of “non-VA related health care.” It has to be a part of the Veterans’ disability, life threatening, or VA and or other Federal Facilities were available. And Mr. Bailey has a “Fee Base” card. Which I do, however it doesn’t include any medical treatment, it’s for PTSD only, specifically pointed out to on my card.
These people don’t look at the Veteran with all of the information in one file. They look at individual claims. These different section’s don’t talk or give information to another section, thus they are separate entities.
The perpetrator of this unlawful act, name should be known to all. Why isn’t it? And this person should be dealt with the most hardened rule violations, possibly criminal act’s, immediately. However, knowing that it’s virtually impossible to fire someone from the VA, more than likely the C.O.S. and all will either get a “slap” on the wrist, possibly demoted, and placed in yet another part of the VA facility.
Back ground checks? Does anyone in VA employment go through a rigorous background check? It appears not.
Then, this is “FEDERAL FACILITY”, treating American Citizen Veterans. There isn’t any form of “GOOD” security. Anyone can merely walk through the door’s and just wonder around, Veteran, non Veteran. For Pete sakes, this nation is under the threat of terrorism at all times, and no video camera’s, no metal detector’s, no guards to check to make sure only those who are allowed to come in, do so, after being checked. A terrorist could be loaded with lot’s of explosive’s, or could leave some to be set off by whatever means. This is ludicrous.
Who care about VA health records? It’s our personal data, our lives that are at stake. And this has been going to happen sooner or later as nobody seems to know what the other person/party is doing.
Now we, us Veteran’s have to take the matter into our hands, because of this tragic “Inconvience?”
The U.S. Gov’t is the one that screwed up, not us Veteran’s. We shouldn’t have to contact any of the reporting bureau’s, this should be a “high” priority to give the affected names of all Veteran’s to them, and all three agencies should be told to send each of us their credit record, not us, having to pay for it.
There are reports going around, people not getting their VA compensation checks, and other’s have told me, they have already had things done to them, i.e. buying, etc. So to say, “The thieves didn’t know what they had”, is the most ignorant statement in regards to identity theft I’ve ever heard.
I would hope that no Veteran including myself will not have his VA compensation check violated. Do you realize what catastrophic events would come into play if this would happen?
We’d lose homes, vehicles, and possibly have to close banking accounts, re-open a new one, so many things.
In closing I want to say this....The “VA” in total overall across our nation is one big mess of bureaucracy red tape, de-boggled jumbled inadequacies, inept entanglement of “TOTAL MIS-/NON-COMMUNICATIONS and “CONFUSION.”
As I previously stated, “Heads” should roll, and I’m depending on the House/Senate committee’s, to do the right thing, and not continue to put us Veteran’s always last on any agenda.
Thank you. God bless you all.

Sincerely with hope,

Paul S. Bailey