PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of Our Flag

thedrifter
12-21-02, 07:28 AM
Part I

We have a framework here that represents an old-fashioned curtain stretcher. We have called it the "Constitution", the frame work upon which these United States rests; a perfect foundation on which to build our Flag.

1. The first stripe in our flag is RED and stands for VALOR, ZEAL, and LOYALTY. It represents DELAWARE, the first Colony to ratify the Constitution.

2. The second stripe is WHITE, symbolizing HOPE. PURITY, and INTEGRITY. We place these virtues next to Godliness, so the white goes above the red. This stripe belongs to PENNSYLVANIA.

3. As this third stripe goes into place, we remind you that the name "OLD GLORY" was first given our Flag by Captain WILLIAM DRIVER, of the Brig "Charles Doggett". It represents NEW JERSEY.

4. The fourth Colony to ratify the Constitution was down South, GEORGIA, and her stripe now goes into place.

5. For the fifth stripe, we go back up North, as CONNECTICUT goes into the Union.

6. The sixth stripe is the last one to be fully visible. The remaining seven have a part of their stripe covered by the Blue Field on which the fifty Stars will shine. MASSACHUSETTS takes her place as the immediate support of the Blue Field The Blue Union you now see going into place takes its color from the Heavens and reminds us to be REVERENT to GOD. The Stars are placed in the Blue Field to proclaim a new constellation and remind us again that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

7. The seventh stripe is MARYLAND, proud to have the Blue Union cover a portion of her stripe.

8. SOUTH CAROLINA is next and a reminder of our National INDEPENDENCE AND SOVEREIGNTY.

9. To gain our ninth State we travel from down South back up East to NEW HAMPSHIRE. That is how this Nation and our Flag grew.

10. The tenth Stripe represents a cautious Colony that delayed ratification of the Constitution until certain that the Bill of Rights would be included. Only then did VIRGINIA, oldest Colony and often referred to as the Mother State, ratify the Constitution.

11. On July 26, 1788 NEW YORK became the eleventh State. She symbolizes HOPE, because it is here that most of our immigrant citizens first see the shores of their new country, and gain HOPE from the Statue of Liberty.

12. November 21, 1789 NORTH CAROLINA ratified the Constitution and joined her neighbors in the Union. Her Stripe goes up on our nearly completed Flag.

13. Finally in 1790, proud little RHODE ISLAND took place in the Union and we place the thirteenth Stripe at the top of our Flag.

Notice that no matter whether you begin at the bottom or at the top, the first stripe is always RED. Perhaps this means that the HOPE and PURITY of the WHITE and the REVERENCE and LOYALTY of the BLUE are held steadfast, securely bound by our VALOR, ZEAL, and FERVENCY, represented by the RED. As a Nation we have these qualities and WE WILL, whenever necessary, use them to protect our American way of life.

This is how our Flag was arranged at the beginning of our Nation. It took the Colonies over two years to ratify the Constitution.

Now the original Colonies have been moved to a new field in the pattern we are familiar with today. From 1791 to 1959 we complete our Flag with 50 Stars, 50 States in the Union, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Here is our Flag of today in all it's glory.

Part II

Listen to the message it brings you. Behold the Stars and Stripes of the United States of America! I am NOT just a colorful piece of cloth! I am symbol of all the Country stands for, and NOT just a piece of cloth to be spat upon by people with contempt in their hearts for a symbol that represents no contempt at all.

I am NOT just a piece of cloth to be trampled in the dust. Young men and women have courageously tramped through dust, jungle, and across desert mine fields to defend me.

I am Not just a piece of cloth to be desecrated and tarnished by those who say they are right and our leaders are wrong, and who claim God is dead. I am your banner that your young people should be taught to honor, respect, and preserve.

My beautifully colored folds are NOT just a piece of cloth to be ridiculed and burned at demonstrations. I hold more hope for the people of this world than any other national banner.

How can anyone say I am JUST A PIECE OF CLOTH? I AM YOUR FLAG!! The fiber of which has attracted immigrants like your forefathers to this land of opportunity. I stand for free elections, free speech, and free choice of occupation and religion. I represent a way of life that freedom loving people around the world look to for hope. Just a piece of cloth could never survive what I have been through.

When you pay tribute to me, I know you are remembering nearly 35 million combat veterans who fought under these STARS and STRIPES to preserve American freedom - - and in reality you are saluting them. These brave young men and women who served in our armed forces represented all racial origins and creeds. Yet they fought as a TEAM. To them all that mattered was that THEY WERE AMERICANS!

In no other nation are the people so DIVERSE yet so THOROUGHLY UNITED in upholding a single standard of FREEDOM and JUSTICE FOR ALL. I KNOW - - because I have gone with your armed forces around the world. More than a million sacrificed their lives on the fields of battles. Some of you were there and saw them die. You wrapped their mortal remains--not in just a piece of cloth--you encased them in MY STARS AND STRIPES, a token of respect for their courage and sacrifices.

Today the remains of your honored dead rest in the soil of almost every country on earth; and above them today in so many places, the sun shines forever upon ME. There flies but ONE Flag - - not just a piece of cloth, but the STARS AND STRIPES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Your Flag is proud to keep this vigil for you.

LOOK AT ME! DO YOU SEE JUST A PIECE OF CLOTH? Then listen to this, I beg you:

I am the Star Spangled Banner - - conceived in 1777 out of the Love - - America born for Liberty and Honor.

I am the Memorial to countless heroes who shed their blood to preserve this sacred heritage.

I have inspired generations of gallant men who fought against tyranny.

I am the spirit of Valley Forge - - of sacrifice - - of courage.

I have guarded every rampart where freedom defended its glorious cause - - Tripoli - - Belleau Woods - - Argonne Forest - - Omaha Beach - - Anzio - - Bastogne - - Guadalcanal - - Coral Sea - - Layte Gulf - - Iwo Jima - - Korea - - Viet Nam - - Beirut - - Grenada - - Panama - - Kuwait.

I fly wherever Americans gave their lives to preserve the sanctity of life. My home is in the hearts of all who feel a thrill of pride when they salute Me--and what I symbolize - - GOD, COUNTRY, FREEDOM, VALOR.

JUST A PIECE OF CLOTH? I THINK NOT! I AM THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA--YOUR STAR SPANGLED BANNER!!

Part III

During the past few years, there have been many demonstrations and some desecration of the Flag of the United States of America. Veterans Organizations and our Auxiliaries are concerned that Patriotism seems to going out of style. We believe the Flag of our Country is a symbol of a great and free Nation, due the respect of all who live under its protection.

Let's look at our Flag for a moment--Sure, we see our Flag every day of the week, but how well do we appreciate it

as being MORE than just a brightly colored emblem? Do you ever think of it as a LIVING PERSONALITY --BEAUTIFUL IN COLOR AND RICH IN HISTORY?

It is truly a LIVING SYMBOL of all we are, or can ever hope to be - a reminder of our debt to those who served before our time and our obligation to strengthen the freedoms and greatness of this land for the generations that will follow.

Just LOOK at the beauty of the coloring in our Flag. The RED stripes denote COURAGE and READINESS to sacrifice for the defense of what we call `THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE`. The six WHITE stripes symbolize our PURITY OF PURPOSE, and our PRECIOUS INDEPENDENCE. The field of BLUE suggest unlimited VISION,

LOYALTY, and UNITY. and out of the Blue Field shines the STARS, one for each State in the Union, reminding us that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD.

continued..............

thedrifter
12-21-02, 07:30 AM
Part IV

Our Flag is folded in a triangle to teach us our Government is formed in three interdependent bodies, EXECUTIVE.

LEGISLATIVE, and JUDICIAL. There are thirteen folds--one for each of the original Colonies. All are encased in the Blue Field to remind us that they, as well as we, are under the love and care of Almighty God--a free and United Nation.

We fold the flag to the left as a symbol of life, and again to the left as a emblem of our belief in eternal life. We fold to the left for that is where our hearts lie and it is through our hearts that we pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation Under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All. We fold again to the left representing our weaker nature for we Americans Trust in God, and it is to Him we look for guidance at all times. We fold to the right as a symbol of our sword arms, for it is with our swords we protect this Flag and its institutions against all enemies whatsoever, whether they be found within the boundaries of our Nation or without.

We fold again to the right as a tribute to our Country - - in the words of the immortal Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in Her intercourse with other Nations may she be right--but Our Country, RIGHT OR WRONG".

We fold to the left in tribute to One who entered the Valley of the Shadow, in order that we might find life, and this fold is made to honor Mother for whom this Flag flies on Mother's Day.

We fold again to the left as a tribute to our Womanhood for it has been through her loyalty, love, and devotion that the characters of the men and women who made this Nation great have been molded.

We fold to the right as a tribute to Father for he too gave of his sons and daughters to the Nation since the days the Republic was born.

We fold from the Stripes toward the Stars as the Stripes symbolize the thirteen original Colonies that founded our Republic, now embodied in the fifty sovereign States of the Nation - - so when the Flag is secured the Stars cover the Stripes.

We fold to the left as a Triangle. This represents to the Hebrew citizens the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies in his eyes the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.

We fold again as a triangle. In the eyes of a Christian Citizen this is the Emblem of Eternity and glorifies in his eyes God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost.

When the Flag is secured, the Stars cover the Stripes ever reminding us of our National Motto `IN GOD WE TRUST' and the shape of the Flag is like that of a Cocked Hat, again reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and Marines who served under Captain Paul Jones, who, followed by their comrades and shipmates, in times of peace as well as in times of war, through their loyalty, love, and devotion to the Flag and its institutions have preserved for us American citizens, the rights, privileges, and freedom we now enjoy.

Folding Our Flag

In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nations honored dead. The next morning it is brought out, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of the blue containing the stars representing the states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field blue dresses from left to right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country in uniform.

This is the only occasion when the flag may be used as a drapery or covering, and the only occasion when the flag is displayed horizontally.

Having so served, once folded and presented to the next of kin, the flag should remain folded forevermore, so that it is never flown, displayed, or used for any lesser purpose.

The procedure and ceremony of folding the flag represents the same religious principles on which our country was originally founded.

* The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

* The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

* The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country.

* The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of war for His divine guidance.

* The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong."

* The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our hearts that we pledge allegiance to the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

* The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they are found within or without the boundaries of our Republic.

* The eighth fold is a tribute to the One who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

* The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the characters of the men and women who made this country great have been molded.

* The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

* The eleventh fold, in the eyes of the Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

* The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

* When the flag is completely folded, it represents a Revolutionary War era cocked hat. The stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "IN GOD WE TRUST,"

Sempers,

Roger