PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Problems

Poskew
06-11-06, 07:04 PM
Ok Marines and Pool (ee)s. I rolled my ankle not last friday but the friday before. I can walk normally and just about take turns just like I could before I rolled it. The only problem is the swelling hasn't gone down much at all. The swelling has gone down probly about 25% from the same night or morning after. I am starting to get worried. I have a buddy who said he sprained his ankle and the swelling never went down. As long as I can function and perform everything that I will need to in basic traning then I won't get worried. I just hope the doctors at MEPS don't notice there is swelling in my left ankle. But hey, the swelling might go down by then. If anybody has heard of or have had this happen to you/friend please inform me on what I should do or even if its worth paying attention to.

Thanks,
Poskew

Lithium
06-11-06, 08:30 PM
If I were you I would go see a doctor. Better a doctor that will diagnose you and treat you now, then a MEPS doctor that will simply say, "Disqualified".

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-11-06, 10:45 PM
I am sure you've posted it, but I don't remember. When are you going to MEPS? And remember, RICE
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Take Motrin or Aleve, it should help with the swelling as well. If it still doesn't go away in a few days, go see a doc.

Geetar
06-11-06, 10:47 PM
Don't screw around with this. You need to get this checked out! I cannot stress that enough. Especially if you are planning on going to boot camp soon. Your injury will need proper time to heal for...

Sixguns
06-12-06, 10:03 AM
Sound advice given above!

If you have not approached 365 days in DEP yet, your recruiter can get you pool moved out to give you some more time. I am also guessing your recruiter knows of this issue. Let's hope so. There's one of these funny things called leadership principles and one of them is "Keeping your Marines informed," but that's just a guess!!

Tallboot
06-12-06, 05:34 PM
They will see it at meps, when you get naked in front of the guy. Im sure a Purple bruise will show up easily. I would go to a doctor, there gonna see if its bad as you say it is. Youll probably have to get a waiver from a doctor anyway so might as well save the time.

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 10:12 PM
Ok Marines and Pool (ee)s. I rolled my ankle not last friday but the friday before. I can walk normally and just about take turns just like I could before I rolled it. The only problem is the swelling hasn't gone down much at all. The swelling has gone down probly about 25% from the same night or morning after. I am starting to get worried. I have a buddy who said he sprained his ankle and the swelling never went down. As long as I can function and perform everything that I will need to in basic traning then I won't get worried. I just hope the doctors at MEPS don't notice there is swelling in my left ankle. But hey, the swelling might go down by then. If anybody has heard of or have had this happen to you/friend please inform me on what I should do or even if its worth paying attention to.

Thanks,
Poskew

That amount of swelling for this long, sounds like you've torn a ligament - did you feel a pop? You need to see a doc and get x-rays. Been there, and done it myself - but it takes time to heal.

No worries - you can still join (as I did mine about a year before boot camp) - but you may have to be delayed - as it will take time. You still have 2 1/2 months b4 ship date, so you may be OK. You don't want to go to boot with a bad wheel. See a doctor about it, and remember ice stops the swelling (within 2 days), heat reduces the swelling thereafter.

Poskew
06-13-06, 10:16 PM
Yeah I def felt and heard a pop when I fell. Im going to go get it checked out.

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 10:25 PM
Yeah I def felt and heard a pop when I fell. Im going to go get it checked out.

If a ligament, you will need a cast or boot. AND DON'T RUSH IT - or it will effect you for years to come. A delay is no big deal. Everything happens in its proper time.

LOL - actually a ship date of February would be perfect! Cool - when you get there, but off PI before the sand fleas hit. See - ya gotta look at the bright side. This may be a blessing in disguise!

Later on if you feel you were cheated by not experiencing the sand fleas, you can always jab your arms with a knife so you have the proper amount of scarring! LOL

Poskew
06-13-06, 11:08 PM
I kind of think its nothign serious because I can walk and take turns on it and every thing just the healing hasnt gone down. its only uncomfortable when i put pressure on the side. I can't afford to leave in Febuary I wont have anywhere to stay.

outlaw3179
06-13-06, 11:11 PM
My original ship date was July 17 of 97. At my going away party I was drunk and jumping on a trampoline with 2 girls. Long story short I rolled my ankle and snapped the tendons in my right ankle. When it happened I heard a definete pop and excruciating pain. Pretty good bruising the next day and 2 days later I could walk on it fine. Only problem , swelling and bruising were not going away. I had to get surgery about one week after the accident , and I was fine, Other than my recruiter ripping my ass. I ended up leaving 10 October 97. So it delayed my leaving but I left.
When I got to boot camp , same ankle rolled on me a couple of times but since it was so tight after the surgery it really wasnt that big of a deal. YOull be fine but you definetly wanna go see a doc. and expect an ass chewing from your recruiter. But fix it .

Poskew
06-13-06, 11:30 PM
I mean there is nothing my recruiter should be mad at me for. I rolled it running to get in shape for the boot camp. Just happened to hit a weird part of the road. But your right I will go see a doctor within the next two days.

outlaw3179
06-13-06, 11:33 PM
Your right he probably wont be mad..he had plenty of reason to be mad at me though. Good luck with that.

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 11:34 PM
I kind of think its nothign serious because I can walk and take turns on it and every thing just the healing hasnt gone down. its only uncomfortable when i put pressure on the side. I can't afford to leave in Febuary I wont have anywhere to stay.

See a doc - but ice that b!tch till then to reduce the swelling. Good thing is - you have time on your side. I'd wrap for support as well. Get a pair of high top sneakers - if they even make them any more.

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 11:36 PM
My original ship date was July 17 of 97. At my going away party I was drunk and jumping on a trampoline with 2 girls. Long story short I rolled my ankle and snapped the tendons in my right ankle. When it happened I heard a definete pop and excruciating pain. Pretty good bruising the next day and 2 days later I could walk on it fine. Only problem , swelling and bruising were not going away..

How's your ankle now Outlaw? Feel it on cold days? LOL! I still do! Sheesh - it's only been 22 years!

Poskew
06-13-06, 11:41 PM
I will take all of your advice. Once I know the statuse on my ankle I will inform all of you what my situation is. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you,
Poskew

Sixguns
06-14-06, 07:41 AM
The good news is the Marine Corps will still be here when you are fully recovered! Don't rush it. Getting to recruit training and not being 100% gives you a nearly 100% chance of not making it. Recruit training is physically demanding. You will still need to engage in PT every day, pass several PFTs and that is not including Basic Warrior Training. BWT will certainly do you in! These are all items that can cause you to be a casualty and get a medical separation or categorize you as unfit for Marine Corps service. Don't mess around with this!

Geetar
06-14-06, 09:52 AM
I mean there is nothing my recruiter should be mad at me for. I rolled it running to get in shape for the boot camp. Just happened to hit a weird part of the road. But your right I will go see a doctor within the next two days.

That is exactly how I rolled and ruined my ankle. We were 5 miles into a 12 mile run and I steped on the edge of a newly paved trail through the woods. Unfortunately we didn't have a safety vehicle with us that day. I ended up walking back the 5 miles. That was the worst pain I've ever felt.

...then I got the run around from idiots at the branch medical facility.

AmyG
06-15-06, 05:38 PM
The doctor is your best option, and if there is something really wrong, you'll know and can get it fixed. I twisted my ankle really good a couple years ago. Totally ripped a ligament in two and had to have surgery (if I didn't, I would never be able to run again), but in two month or less, I was running around like before, and I'm still good to go. So even if something is wrong, then with proper care, it'll be nothing to worry about it.

Poskew
06-15-06, 08:19 PM
Yeah I can jog on it carefully but when i put pressure on teh side of my foot it hurts and the swelling hasnt gone down to much so Im going tommorow to get it checked out

kirby0351
06-15-06, 08:26 PM
Good, you might have partially torn some legiments, I did that my freshman year and my ankle took a long time for the swelling to go down and I could walk and run on the ankle. They put me on crutches for 2 weeks and had me wrap my ankle and it went down considerably. Also they gave some great pain medication :bunny:.

You'll be fine,
Kirby

Shadowman777
06-15-06, 08:54 PM
Yeah I can jog on it carefully but when i put pressure on teh side of my foot it hurts and the swelling hasnt gone down to much so Im going tommorow to get it checked out

Yup - sounds like ligament damage.

Is there a squid medic in the house???

You do have time though! If they stick a boot on ya - you still have time, tho go easy!

kirby0351
06-16-06, 03:14 PM
Definitly take it easy on it, do what the doctors say, because no matter how well you can walk on it you still may be doing damage and that only hurts you in the long run.

Poskew
06-16-06, 03:35 PM
Well I just got back from the doctors.. he said no tears or anything broken just a severe sprain. Doc told me to not put stress on it within the next couple weeks but my recruiter still wants me to go to the DEP Pool meeting tommorow. He said something about the class part of it he needs me there for. I have no idea I havent been to one yet.

Shadowman777
06-16-06, 05:31 PM
Well I just got back from the doctors.. he said no tears or anything broken just a severe sprain. Doc told me to not put stress on it within the next couple weeks but my recruiter still wants me to go to the DEP Pool meeting tommorow. He said something about the class part of it he needs me there for. I have no idea I havent been to one yet.

Thank God! Now - no PT for 2 weeks!

And what does DEP stand for?

kirby0351
06-16-06, 09:43 PM
DEP stands for the Delayed Entry Program

Between the time you sign your papers and you ship out you are considered in the Delayed Entry Program, you can remain in the program for up to a year before you are required to leave. Not one day past a year of your enlistment though. At least that is how my recruiter explained it to me.

Shadowman777
06-16-06, 10:18 PM
DEP stands for the Delayed Entry Program

Between the time you sign your papers and you ship out you are considered in the Delayed Entry Program, you can remain in the program for up to a year before you are required to leave. Not one day past a year of your enlistment though. At least that is how my recruiter explained it to me.

Sounds good to me! Hell, I still can't figure out what the hell that eye-sh!t is that Marines wear over one eye. Is that a camera, telescopic lens - what???

Day-yam - we were given an M-16 A-1 (made by Mattel) , uniform, helmet and vest - and that's it! I can't figure out half the crap that Marines carry today - and I'm not that friggin' old!!!

Poskew
06-17-06, 06:05 AM
Just not running on my ankle for two weeks. I can still do push ups and lift weights and all that good stuff. Pull ups all that. Just cant do any running or quick turns type of stuff.

Stanley Hroszow
06-17-06, 05:15 PM
The next time you go running be careful, and make sure you have some one with you that knows first aide, and take along a cell phone.

kirby0351
06-17-06, 10:54 PM
To be on the safe side you should probably wrap it the first few times you start running again.