View Full Version : A good way to relax

thedrifter
06-11-06, 08:57 AM
A good way to relax
Former Marine comesback home to race
Gary Giombetti
The Daily Tribune
Saturday, June 10th, 2006 08:29:20 PM

HIBBING — After serving in the Marines for four years, Dan Wilson needed to do something little more relaxing.

So he chose racing car driving.

Wilson, who is from Hibbing, is now in his first year as a Pure Stock driver at the Hibbing Raceway.

Compared to what he did in the Marines, driving around an oval is child’s play.

Right after high school, Wilson started his Tour of Duty. He spent two years in Okinawa and two more years in California, before joining the conflict in Iraq in 2003.

He worked with a shock trauma platoon, which is a modern-day MASH unit.

He was a jack-of-all-trades with his platoon.

“You do everything,” Wilson said.

Wilson was a generator mechanic, an electrician, he worked with the EPWs (Enemy Prisoners of War), an ambulance driver, and he picked up casualties when they were brought in by helicopter.

That’s not exactly a stress-reducing assignment, but Wilson got used to seeing all things that happen during war time.

“You get desensitized,” Wilson said. “You get used to it as much as you can.”

Wilson spent six months in Iraq, arriving in California in June 2003, then coming home to Hibbing in July.

That’s when he decided to take up racing, although that had been in works two years earlier.

Wilson spent some time with Derrick Vesel in the pits. His father, Al, had also spent some time in the sport, pitting for Dale Davidson back in the six-cylinder days. Wilson had also raced in some enduros, which really piqued his interest.

He didn’t really have to time to think about driving while stationed in Iraq because he was so busy.

He thought about driving in 2004 while working with Vesel, then in 2005 that thought became more consistent.

“I had fun with Derrick, but I wanted to own my own car,” Wilson said.

“He let me drive hot laps but that wasn’t enough. I wanted to do it more often. I always wanted to do it. Now, I have a decent job, so I can afford it.”

So this past winter, Wilson with the help of Kevin Davey, Gene Schultz and John Gargano, got started on his Pure Stock. His girlfriend, Amy Gargano, bought him the car as a Christmas present.

They worked in Gargano’s heated garage and Pure Stock driver was born.

“I was very excited,” Wilson said. “I couldn’t wait to get out there. I have fun every time I get into a card.”

So Wilson waited for practice night, but that’s when he found out about the pitfalls of owing a race car. His motor blew out, which ended his night.

“It was a motor my sponsor built without labor,” Wilson said. “I had to build a whole new motor.”

Wilson got it done in time to race the past two weekends. On his first night, he made the feature and finished 14th. Two weeks ago, he made the feature again placed 11th.

“I’m happy with that,” Wilson said. “I haven’t totaled the car. As a rookie, I hope I’m not making too many mistakes on the track. This was a lot harder than it looks.”

The one thing Wilson learned is to slow down in the corners.

But how does this compare to experience he faced in Iraq?

“I didn’t get hurt over there, and I haven’t been hurt here,” Wilson said. “It’s hard to say, but it’s a lot more fun here.”

Wilson said he hasn’t made any long-term goals. He just wants to learn the ropes of the sport he always wanted to do.

“I need to learn the little stuff, and I don’t want to wreck my car,” Wilson said. “What I want to do is have fun.”

Ellie