PDA

View Full Version : Marines ride for Tyler

thedrifter
06-11-06, 08:43 AM
Marines ride for Tyler
BY MEREDITH BONNY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Sunday, June 11, 2006

"We had to do something," said Jerry Vanasdale, a Marine from Pittsburgh.

Deborah Miles lost her son, Marine Sgt. Sean H. Miles, in January.

The 28-year-old platoon sergeant was killed in Karmah, about 50 miles west of Baghdad, while pulling another Marine to safety.

"That's the way a Marine is supposed to be," Vanasdale said.

Sean Miles would have returned home in less than two weeks, ending what would have been a seven-month tour of duty. Instead, he left his young wife, Genevieve, his then 2-year-old son, Tyler, and an empty house.

Afraid and alone, Genevieve Miles never imagined a turn of events like this. But looking back, she wasn't surprised that Marines she had never met before were there to help.

"It's Sean," she said. "He's just hard to forget, I guess."

It's the only way she can explain what took place over bikes, beer and burgers at Sean's parents' Woodlake home recently.

Vanasdale and Wadlow organized the ride after seeing a Times-Dispatch photograph that ran in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. In the photo, Tyler is wearing his dress blues and pointing to his father's casket saying, "Daddy."

"A few times in your life you encounter a situation where you are just absolutely overwhelmed with emotion and a passion wells-up inside you and inspires you to follow your heart," Wadlow writes on the group's Web site. "That is exactly what happened to me one day in February of this year when I saw a picture of a flag draped casket and a grieving widow at a funeral of a young Marine who was killed in Iraq."

It was only later that Wadlow learned that Miles just happened to be the recipient of a care package Wadlow's local Marine Corps League sent to Iraq for Christmas.

Wadlow and Vanasdale believed they saw the picture for a reason and felt they needed to do something to help. They came up with the idea of a Fallen Marine Memorial Run to benefit the Miles family.

The group put up fliers in at least five states advertising the Aug. 27 run. They expect more than 3,000 bikes and hope to raise at least $100,000, which Tyler can use toward his college education, Wadlow said. The run, which could be as long as 125 miles, will include up to five stops in the Pittsburgh area. Several Richmonders have expressed an interest in attending.

. . .

The group has already received about $1,500 in donations and proceeds from T-shirt sales advertising the ride. In typical Marine fashion, the idea has taken on a life of its own.

"It's been an adventure. And I'm liking it," said Vanasdale.

But the plans didn't stop there.

Realizing that Tyler would be turning 3 and that they usually make a ride to the Vietnam Wall anyway, Wadlow, Vanasdale and their friends decided to pay a visit to meet the Mileses and celebrate Tyler's big day in person.

They spent the night in Stafford at the home of friends, Laurel and J.P. McGinley, and arrived Saturday afternoon.

To outsiders, they were strangers comforting the family of a 3-year-old boy who had lost his dad to war. But as Lloyd Smith, a Marine from San Francisco put it, they were already family.

"We never leave anybody behind. Never," he said. "Once a Marine, always a Marine. We look out for one another."

Smith was one of more than 20 people who pulled into the Miles' Woodlake driveway.

You could feel the engines rumbling miles away. It sent tingles up Genevieve Miles' spine.

"You hear them," she said.

"There's nothing like Harleys. It gives me goose bumps," Deborah Miles said.

They stepped off their bikes and were greeted with hugs and tears. "I'm really glad you guys came," Sean's father, Michael Miles, said as he embraced Wadlow.

Michael Miles took the men and women inside his home. He showed them pictures of his son. They shared stories.

"The worst thing for a dad is to think that someone is going to forget," Miles said, his face wet from crying.

"We will never forget," said Kelly O'Connor, who rode with the group. "You have a lot to be proud of."

Veronica Michleski and O'Connor said they felt God had brought the group together.

"I raised two children on my own. I know what loss is. People make it easier for you," O'Connor said.

Michleski said, "This has been different than any bike ride."

Wadlow agreed.

"This thing has consumed all of us almost every day as we continue to meet, talk, e-mail and text each other from morning until night," he said. "None of us will ever be the same. And that's a good thing."

Knowing Tyler's a big "Star Wars" fan, Wadlow handed him a bag stuffed with action figures, which Tyler calls "his guys," along with other movie memorabilia.

After he tore through the bag of toys, the Marines plopped Tyler on top of one of their bikes and placed a helmet on his head.

"I wish he was here," Genevieve Miles said, referring to her husband. "I really do."

Contact staff writer Meredith Bonny at mbonny@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6452.

Ellie