PDA

View Full Version : Viet Vets tell me about your tour

Ricko
12-20-02, 09:23 PM
Myself, arrived 7-4-67 and assigned to 3/7 at hill 37 near Dailoc.,about 20 miles south of DaNang.
Spent time with India, Lima, Kilo and Mike as needed to provide forward air control capabilities.
Survivor of TET 68
WIA 4-10-68 during Operation Jasper Square, spent 8 months at Philadelphia Naval Hospital recovering.
A civilian much to soon!

NamGrunt68
12-21-02, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Ricko
Myself, arrived 7-4-67 and assigned to 3/7 at hill 37 near Dailoc.,about 20 miles south of DaNang.
Spent time with India, Lima, Kilo and Mike as needed to provide forward air control capabilities.
Survivor of TET 68
WIA 4-10-68 during Operation Jasper Square, spent 8 months at Philadelphia Naval Hospital recovering.
A civilian much to soon!

Sure Ricko,

Joined Marines
Went to Nam
Served with 1/27
Got wounded 7 days after you April 17, 68
Came Home
Got Spit on
had 37 jobs since then
now 100% P&T
Been phuced ever since.....

What else ya want to know??

Riven37
12-21-02, 11:59 AM
Served on Hill 37 69-70 1st Mar Div Lima co 3/1 and H&S 81's.red :marine:

montana
01-01-03, 04:59 PM
was drafted feb 69
sent to nam july 69
was with Bco 1/7
1plt Arazona teratory
Baldy Ross
wia twice
medavact once shrapnal to the face chest and right arm
sent back to bush 3 days later
rotated to early out Aug 70
also did the tunnle rat thing
still dont like most dark holes

NamGrunt68
01-01-03, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by montana
was drafted feb 69
sent to nam july 69
was with Bco 1/7
1plt Arazona teratory
Baldy Ross
wia twice
medavact once shrapnal to the face chest and right arm
sent back to bush 3 days later
rotated to early out Aug 70
also did the tunnle rat thing
still dont like most dark holes

Bro, I sure am glad ya said "most" dark holes and not ALL dark holes.........:D Have a good Year Marine........

montana
01-01-03, 05:21 PM
NamGrunt

LOL...wish i knew back then that the wrong word could keep you out of some of um....would of used um all the time

hope your year is a good one also Bro

earlz
01-03-03, 12:49 PM
Ricko; Nam 69/70, 1st Med Bn., Comm/H&S Co 3/26, H Co. 2/1 81mm's Radio Oper/F.O. mainly all around Da Nang, Namo Bridge, Monkey Mountain, Chin Strap etc.

Returned CONUS Aug/70 to a wonderfully orally wet greeting in L.A. and did not shoot the bas...rd. I guess I was toom civilized.

Major Mustang
01-03-03, 04:38 PM
In '64 we landed at Chu Lai, my battery of 155's with 5 ton truncks immediately sank in the sands of the beach. Having spent 11/2 year at 29 Palms, I knew what to do. 5 ton trucks have their own air compressors, so we let the air out of the tires and drove until we hit hard soil.

Returned in '68 to join the Vietnamese Marine Corps. Senior Artillery advisor, but worked with a battery. First with Saigon defense units, this during Tet. Later in upper III Corps and then in IV Corps. Got hit in IV Corps, mortar attack, it seems we would chase the Ta Do Bn around the delta and every now and then they would catch us. However there we were, the Brig Senior Advisor and myself in the hosiptal, when in walks this 6 foot something Marine in a tiger suit. We knew this guy was our new Senior Advisor, Col. Vance Corbett... we had never met him. So he proceeds to tell us that he has set it up for us to go to a hospital in Saigon. We say "oh no sir we need to stay in the delta with our troops. We need to go to the hospital at Bein Tieu"
The old man laughs and says "yes they have 27 new nurses from the States But I'm change your orders". Of course, we knew about the new nurses.

All in all, even getting hit in the ass, back, legs, etc. it was a great tour. Plus I got the medal that none of us really wants.

Semper Fidelis

USMC0311
01-03-03, 11:04 PM
What part of Michigan ya from Ricko?

A/1/3 and B/1/7 65/66 PFC/0311

Riven37
01-04-03, 07:02 AM
I see the three of us were in the same places, same year small world.... :marine: glad you made it back to the world

Semper Fi

montana
01-04-03, 10:23 AM
Riven
welcome home Bro

hay we may even been on the same bird over and back
hummmm guess there mite of been a hundred or so on
the plain i didnt know

MCRD bootcamp plt 3030

Riven37
01-06-03, 07:02 AM
I came home on United flight. It was the same flight there and back and to my home state, Imagine that, the same bird. The chances of that happing 1 in a million.

:bunny: