PDA

View Full Version : The Haditha Situation

fontman
06-09-06, 08:09 PM
Below received in email from one of my Marine brothers, passing for info to anyone interested.

ALCON:

I recently spoke to LtCol Neal Puckett USMC (Ret) via land line. Col Puckett was calling from Camp Pendleton, CA to give me an update on the Subject issue.

As many of you are aware, ColP is a very well-known (now) civilian defense attorney for military law matters. He has been retained by one of the individuals currently under investigation from allegations of possible wrong-doing in an incident in Haditha, Iraq.

Col Puckett has asked me to pass the following information:

He granted an interview to a Washington Post reporter earlier today. The article may appear in the WP on either Saturday (tomorrow) or Sunday.

He wants everyone to know that from the info he has gleaned in recent interviews at CamPen, he now "has a much better feeling about things"…that much of what we are hearing and reading in the MSM about the incident is, at best, disinformation, and at worst, pure BS aimed at swaying public opinion against the 3/1 folks…American Forces/our operations in Iraq, in general. He said that in his professional opinion, it's about time some straight scoop get out to the public.

He is concerned that the precedent set by putting some 3/5 Marines (and a Doc) also "suspected" of similar actions in "Pre-Trial Confinement" at CamPen may cause the same thing to happen to the 20+ 3/1 Marines, and IF this happens, it will make defense atty interactions much more difficult. He and I discussed the two main criteria for "Pre-Trial Confinement" and he said the earlier comments I shared with many of you are correct…to address "Flight Risk" (folks taking off in an attempt to escape actions being taken against them) or to protect others from harm/injury/damage brought about by the "accused or suspected persons." Putting folks in "Pre-Trial" is quite common for the two previously stated reasons and is also done so that folks can't get together to contrive "stories." In this case, however, the subject folks have known about this investigation and possible outcome (a trial) for months, and could have "taken off at any time," and the only people they might possibly want to "hurt" are well-removed from the scene…Insurgent Forces in Iraq! Additionally, they have had months in which to "get their stories together" if, in fact, they have considered doing that.

Altho I am privvy to much more info on this case, it would not be prudent to pass same via this medium or at this time.

Col P and I (as do several others who have contacted me) believe we must maintain confidence in the Military Justice System…that we must allow it to continue to percolate (we have no choice)…that we should remain objective and not get caught up in emotional actions that could adversely effect the ongoing issue…not "burn bridges"…BUT…they we should remain well-abreast of the issue and stand by to assist when and as appropriate. We should keep in mind that there might eventually be a need for establishment of "Defense Funds"…will keep ALCON advised in that regard.

Semper Fidelis,
Wayne V. Morris
Col USMC (Ret)

-30-