PDA

View Full Version : Help please

JohnnyReb
06-09-06, 12:02 AM
I went to the recruiter and I'm very unsure about if I should join the USMC reserve or not. I really don't want to go in as active duty because I'm applying to police departments and a couple sheriff's departments.

My dream is to become a cop. Always has been for as long as I can remember.

But, something has drawn me to the Military. And really the only branch that interests me is the USMC.

So I'm thinking, if I were to go the military route, reserves would be the best way for me. I could be a cop and a Marine at the same time.

However, to be honest I'm very nervous/scared to join. Mostly becuase I'm worried about the commitment. I'm worried that I'll join the reserves for 4, 5 or 6 years and hate every second of it and I will be stuck.

Is this normal and did you guys have this feeling?

I want to serve my country and I honestly don't give a s**t about joining because of the GI bill. To me, I think that's the wrong reason to join. You should join because you want to serve your country and you should be willing to do so (as I would of course be willing to be). Better me go then a 35 year old with a family.

I'm just really concerned that I will not like it and be stuck for years. It's such a long commitment that I could not just "quit" if I hated it.

Did anyone one else here have those worries? How did you overcome them?

I really have a desire to serve my country I'm just having last minute reservations. Can anyone help me? Is this common?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-09-06, 12:31 AM
If you are scared to make a commitment, then the Marine Corps is not the place for you. To let you in on a little secret, many Marines don't love what they do, but they so it anyway. But, if you think you can get over that, then I would say joining the Marines is one of the best things you can do. I know many reserve Marines that are police officers, and it works out well for them.

As for having reservations.... YOU SHOULD! Being a Marine isn't the easiest thing in life. If it was, everyone would be one.

JohnnyReb
06-09-06, 12:48 AM
If you are scared to make a commitment, then the Marine Corps is not the place for you. To let you in on a little secret, many Marines don't love what they do, but they so it anyway. But, if you think you can get over that, then I would say joining the Marines is one of the best things you can do. I know many reserve Marines that are police officers, and it works out well for them.

As for having reservations.... YOU SHOULD! Being a Marine isn't the easiest thing in life. If it was, everyone would be one.

Mostly it's the commitment to the unknown I'm scared of. Not really sure what I wil be getting myself into.

I know it won't be easy, that's not what bothers me. I would not want it to be easy, because if it was, that would take away some of the honor in the title of U.S. Marine.

I have no problem with giving it my all and not quiting. I don't quit.

But, did you have the same feelings? I think I will most likely do it. I think it would be a great expirence to have and would make me a better person.

I was just wondering if some Marine's could tell me if they had the same feelings and how they got over them. And any advice about things to think about would be very welcomed.

Thanks.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-09-06, 01:55 AM
I can't say that I did. I knew that I wanted to be a Marine, I went to the recruiter's office, enlisted, and never looked back. But, that was me- not everyone is alike. It is something you will have to work through yourself. Of course, I don't know how old you are, but if you are fresh out of high school, this would be a great way to "pass the time" between now and when you're eligible to be a police officer.

Korling
06-09-06, 08:33 AM
I was scared to make the commitment, I signed a 6 year contract in 1985 for Active Duty. That meant I would still have 2 years left on Active Duty when most of my friends would be graduating from college. Ultimately, it proved to be the best thing I ever did. Having reservations about it shows you know what the commitment means, you are not going in blind. Having tremendous fear about the commitment might mean you are not really ready to make it.
I personally would recommend you go Active Duty for 4 years, perhaps as an MP. Then, after you've done 4 years you can make a decision on staying in or getting out and becoming a police officer (you will be far more prepared for that by then, and you'll have more benefits coming your way, including college opportunities, VA loans, etc.)

jgorosco
06-09-06, 08:48 AM
To be honest JohnnyReb your future is an unknown also. Being a police officer is pretty much the same commitment, I should know. If you have reservations about joining the Reserves maybe it isn't for you. Try joining Active if you really want to join the Corps. That way you do 4 yrs and can go inactive Reserve once out. You can also get into any Law Enforcement Dept alot easier. To be honest some Depts consider people in the Reserves last because of the chance of being short staffed if you get Activated. And believe me I have nothing against Reserves, I am considering joining the Reserves after being out for 10 yrs. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me. Good luck on your desicion

Old Marine
06-09-06, 09:06 AM
How many years is the committment on the police force?

jgorosco
06-09-06, 09:30 AM
I meant a commitment of time, loyalty and to the public. Didn't mean a contractual commitment. Sorry if I half spoke. Hopefully that clears it up. Is there anything else I need to clarify?

yellowwing
06-09-06, 09:53 AM
I meant a commitment of time, loyalty and to the public.
Reminds me of those New Orleans 'police officers' that fled their duty when the city needed them the most. I wish I could find that interview of one New Orleans cop that was just spitting mad at those who left their post.

Well JohnnyReb, you may join and find out that you just love the life. The pay isn't that great for what we actually do, but you will never find a finer caliber of people to be working with.

Marine84
06-09-06, 10:58 AM
What got me was I didn't have to pay for anything.

I went to college for 2 years after high school and didn't want to go further with it so I joined the Corps. Yeah the money wasn't great back then but they gave me a place to live, something to eat, sent me places I would never have gone if I had stayed in my hometown, I didn't have to pay for medical and dental, they taught me a job that I NEVER would have found in my hometown AND they paid ME to do it. I had no bills going into it except for a $169 car payment...................

Looked like a sweet deal to me! Yeah, I had reservations especially that first wake up call I got in bootcamp but I adjusted to it because of the sweet deal I got from them.

JohnnyReb
06-09-06, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my options open and I'll consider going in active.