PDA

View Full Version : 24th MEU begins deployment

thedrifter
06-08-06, 06:33 AM
24th MEU begins deployment
June 08,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

The ships loomed over the horizon while the Marines lingered at Onslow Beach, their last chance to enjoy American soil — in this case sand — for months.

More than 2,000 Marines and sailors with the Camp Lejeune-based 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit said goodbye to their loved ones Wednesday as they prepared to set sail for Europe, the Middle East and, most likely, the war in Iraq.

The MEU will spend the next few days preparing for their departure, loading equipment and personnel on the ships of the Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group. The Marines themselves will travel aboard the USS Iwo Jima, Nashville and Whidbey Island.

They will probably leave by Friday.

While deploying is never easy, there comes a point when the seabags are packed and the Marines and sailors are ready to go, said Col. Ron Johnson, the MEU’s commander.

“For most of the guys, the anticipation of the deployment finally being here, there’s relief,” he said. “They just want to get the game on now.”

The MEU officially began its predeployment training in December, bringing together separate pieces into one cohesive unit. It’s a rapid-response force that can operate independently and respond to a myriad of threats, anything from embassy evacuations to combat missions.

The MEU is made up of Battalion Landing Team 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 365, MEU Service Support Group 24 and a command element.

At 1/8’s headquarters, members of the battalion mingled with their families and friends while waiting to board buses to the beach.

Staff Sgt. Charles Berglund said goodbye to his wife, Agatha and his 16-month-old daughter, Jacklyn. Tears in his eyes, he described what it’s like to leave his family behind.

“It’s horrible,” he said. “Especially now, I just had (Jacklyn) and this is my first time away in a long time. It’s pretty hard. You want to be back here and taking care of your family.”

Berglund joked with his first sergeant that his baby daughter was part of his gear, and that he needed to bring her along.

Cpl. Jason Veazie was preparing to leave behind a 3-year-old son and a 3-month-old daughter, who was being cradled and fed by her godfather, Cpl. Kevin Compton, another 1/8 Marine preparing to leave.

“It’s the worst feeling in the world,” Veazie said of leaving his family. It’s his second deployment, and he said this one is harder than the first.

Cpl. Jason Blondin, facing his first deployment, was giving his mother his vital papers to hold onto while he’s gone. He said he’s been keeping himself busy to avoid thinking about the departure.

“As long as I’m busy, it’s not too bad,” he said. “I look at it as, not a vacation, but just leaving for awhile and then I’ll be back.”

His mother, Beth Blondin, said she tries to stay positive and think about other things.

“There’s lots of goodbyes,” she said. “You try not to think of where he’s going.”

“We don’t even know where we’re going,” Blondin replied.

And that’s the truth. As of right now, the Marines know only that they will be deploying to the European and Central Command theaters of operation. Beyond that, their missions will depend on where they are needed.

Iraq is a likely destination. While they have don’t know if they will go there or not, Johnson said the MEU wants a chance to contribute to the war effort.

And, of course, he wants to bring everyone back safe.

“The perfect deployment is go and come back with everybody you left with,” he said. “We’re hoping to get everybody back. But we understand we are going into harms way.

“I couldn’t be more proud of the Marines and sailors,” he added. “America should be proud of these guys and gals who give up the best years of life to serve their country.”

Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 229.

Ellie