PDA

View Full Version : Heat?

MotherofPooleeN
06-07-06, 10:09 PM
I saw on one of the threads that training during boot camp is stopped once the temperature is 90. Is that true? I did a search for "heat" and "temperature" couldn't find anything. If you know of a thread about this, please point me in the right direction. Or maybe just give me the answer??? LOL

Many thanks.

Scooter16
06-07-06, 11:07 PM
Don't quote me on it, but I remember at Family Night, The Drill Instructor told us that they use a Heat Index, and certain types of training are halted accordingly.

Ramon
06-07-06, 11:45 PM
They use the Heat Index. There are station located on the island to monitor heat. When certain color flags green, yellow, red and black are up, the recruits are restricted on the activity they can do at that time of day for their phase of trainning they are in. Rife range will not secure for any flag. The uniform of the day would be boots, socks, t-shirt, cartage belt w/canteens, weapon and crome helmets. All Hats were directed to give hourly water breaks depending on what phase of trainning the recruits are in.

MotherofPooleeN
06-08-06, 09:52 PM
Thanks. I know that athletics have criteria to halt or limit practices. NOT that I'm comparing the Marine Corps to athletes -- it's the only thing I could think of that limits activity.

roknroll
06-08-06, 11:15 PM
Soccer tryouts in highschool were never postponed for anything. We started up in mid August....easily got into the 100s once in a while...staying hydrated is key...

Old Marine
06-09-06, 09:08 AM
Do they run up "Maggies Drawers" in Iraq when the heat gets to be 100? I doubt it.

Phantom Blooper
06-09-06, 09:45 AM
<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" height=37>Heat Index and Physical Exercise (Marine Corps)

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">Heat related illness includes: heat rash, cramps, exhaustion and stroke. These illnesses are a real danger to people not accustomed to the stress of hot weather exercise.
The Wet-Bulb Globe Temperature Index (WBGTI) takes into account four variables: air temperature, humidity, radiant heat and air movement. This reading gives a more accurate measurement of heat stress than any one reading alone.
Note: Heat Index chart is different for Navy.
<TABLE height=1 width="100%" summary="This is a table of the heat index temperatures, flags and conditions" border=1><CAPTION>

Heat Index and Physical Exercise Chart

</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top scope=col align=left width=154 bgColor=#c0c0c0>WBGT Index (F)

</TH><TH vAlign=top scope=col align=left width=109 bgColor=#c0c0c0>Flag Color

</TH><TH vAlign=top scope=col align=left width=280 bgColor=#c0c0c0>Heat Condition Flag
Warning System
MCO 6200.1D

</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=154>80-84.9

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=109>Green

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=280>Heavy exercises, for unacclimatized personnel will be conducted with caution and under constant supervision.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=154>85-87.9

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=109>Yellow

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=280>Strenuous exercises, such as marching at standard cadence, will be suspended for unacclimatized troops in their first 2 or 3 weeks. Outdoor classes in the sun are to be avoided.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=154>88-89.9

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=109>Red

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=280>All physical training will be halted for those troops who have not become thoroughly acclimatized by at least 12 weeks of living and working in the area. Those troops who are thoroughly acclimatized may carry on limited activity not to exceed 6 hours per day.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=154>90 and Above

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=109>Black

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=280>All strenuous non-essential outdoor physical activity will be halted for all units. Essential activities are defined as those activities associated with scheduled exercises or other major training evolutions where the disruption would cause undue burden on personnel or resources, be excessively expensive, or significantly reduce a unit's combat readiness. Essential outdoor physical activity will be conducted at a level that is commensurate with personnel acclimatization as determined by the unit's commanding officer in coordination with the unit's medical officer or medical personnel. All efforts should be made to reschedule activities during cooler periods of the day.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" height=24>
Wearing of body armor or NBC warfare protective uniforms in effect adds 10 degrees F to the measured WBGTI. Heat conditions will be adjusted appropriately.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle height=24></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/articles/recreation/heatindexmarine.htm

outlaw3179
06-09-06, 10:30 AM
ummm....no. You train in the heat to get accustomed to fighting in the heat. That index is cool and all but I dont ever remember stopping training in Boot camp, SOI, Horno, or Iraq.

Marine84
06-09-06, 10:47 AM
I was there this time of year and they used it for us but I only remember once when we couldn't do something during the day. It has to be REALLY bad for things to halt. As long as they drink PLENTY of water they'll be fine. The scheduling of daily "events" is already pretty good meaning the strenuous stuff is usually done before lunch - the rest of the day for us was usually some sort of indoor thing - history class, rifle class - I bet I took that M16 apart and put it back together more times than I can count, some kind of inspection.

Just tell him to drink his water - PI gets hot and humid.

MotherofPooleeN
06-09-06, 11:41 AM
<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" height=37>Heat Index and Physical Exercise (Marine Corps)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" height=24>
Wearing of body armor or NBC warfare protective uniforms in effect adds 10 degrees F to the measured WBGTI. Heat conditions will be adjusted appropriately.

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle height=24></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oh great! NBC just happens to be his MOS. Which comes later I know. I can see being trained in the heat because you don't have a choice in Iraq and you need to have some idea of how to cope with the heat. But in training I thought that there may be some precautions. We've had high school athletes die during practices because they weren't given water breaks as they should and practicing during the highest heat of the day. Fortunately my son has always had coaches that understood what over heating can do.

Anyway, my son is not leaving until September -- one of "cooler" months in NC and SC lol :cool:

Thanks y'all!!!!

Brooklyn
06-09-06, 12:03 PM
Oh great! NBC just happens to be his MOS. Which comes later I know. I can see being trained in the heat because you don't have a choice in Iraq and you need to have some idea of how to cope with the heat. But in training I thought that there may be some precautions. We've had high school athletes die during practices because they weren't given water breaks as they should and practicing during the highest heat of the day. Fortunately my son has always had coaches that understood what over heating can do.

Anyway, my son is not leaving until September -- one of "cooler" months in NC and SC lol :cool:

Thanks y'all!!!!

To put you at ease a bit...from Boot Camp vids I've seen, the Drill Instructors made every recruit drink water at regular intervals ( one D.I. stopped a recruit from doing some kind of rifle punch exercise thing and made him take a drink in the middle of the exercise ). I'm sure they'll take good care of him.

MotherofPooleeN
06-09-06, 12:28 PM
Oh I do know that he will in the best hands -- it's the Marines!!

He'll be just fine. I was just wondering. My son may be an only child, but he is far from being coddled!

I sincerely appreciate what y'all do!! Especially when I have what may seem to you a silly question. Just remember, I'm on the learning curve too! :angel: Believe me, I've asked his Recruiter some pretty out there things as well! Fortunately he has actually met me, so he knows that I'm 100% behind my son! I've even asked him to spend more time with my son, which he said he would do. My son is having problems with his dad right now, so I want him to be around "real" men who believe in him and will encourage him. I need men to do this, I can't because I'm just his mom (I, of course believe in him) and it really needs to come from men of great character!!

Bless you all!!!

PS -- Thanks Phantom for helping to take care of this NC mom's concerns!!:D

Camper51
06-09-06, 02:28 PM
Especially when I have what may seem to you a silly question.

My son is having problems with his dad right now, so I want him to be around "real" men who believe in him and will encourage him. I need men to do this, I can't because I'm just his mom (I, of course believe in him) and it really needs to come from men of great character!!

Bless you all!!!

PS -- Thanks Phantom for helping to take care of this NC mom's concerns!!:D

Believe me you are far MORE than JUST his Mom!! I am glad he has YOU to look up to. That kind of guidance is the greatest thing he needs right now and it looks as though he is getting lots of it.

Carry on!!!

jennifer
06-09-06, 07:02 PM
PFFFFTT!!! Ya right!!! I went to boot from June - Sept. and there were quite a few times when we had black flags and we were still out there on the parade deck or at the range or doing the crucible... There were "sometimes" when it was black flag and we had to be indoors but not always... and me personally, I didn't mind it, all that much. It prepared me for Iraq if anything. I mean, if you go to Iraq there damn well is not gonna be no frickin heat Index $h!t!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-09-06, 10:24 PM
When the black flag went up when I was in boot camp, everything outside stopped. Of course, the games we played inside were far worse. It would have been far better to have continued to work outside. The command "Present Footlocker" is only cool so many times.

His_angel
06-10-06, 02:00 AM
I remember a particular black flag day. So instead of being outside we were in a gym type building or such. At least outside we had a chance of a breeze!! It was sweltering hot in the gym and with all us recruits, the body heat, the enclosed area and such seemed to make it worse. Yeah. There are guidelines for hot days. But that doesn't mean things stop.

angel