PDA

View Full Version : M1A; Slam Fire ?

mrbsox
06-07-06, 05:23 PM
Getting the 'bug' for a new weapon, and doing some research. Most definantly going to be 7.62 NATO, but hard to decide between the Springfield M1A or an AR10.

In my research, the Springfield owners manual cautions about 'SLAM FIRES' with civilian ammo, and recommends military grade, due to the heaver primer. I haven't seen anything in the AR series of rifles about slam firing.
A SLAM FIRE is when the firing pin contacts the cartridge primer as the bolt 'slams' locked, due to the change in momentium of the bolt stopping.

Here's my questions, to any one that has experienced it, or has an M1A or AR10.

IF you have shot both, what's your pref and why ??

Any slam fire trouble from 'off the shelf' .308 ammo ??

Any slam fire problem from a AR, and who's (DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, etc) ??

Thanks

ggyoung
06-07-06, 05:35 PM
mrbsox---I shoot the M-14 and the MIA. Not much diffrance in the 2...However I have read in several different mags that all rifles chambred for the 7.62x51 nato that have been bult on the same order as the M16 or M10 that they are not near the rifle that the M14 or the M1A is.

wsky9er
06-08-06, 02:40 AM
I have a Springfield Armory M14/M1A rifle. I have fired over a thousand rounds through it using .308 win. brand named ammo like UMC, Federal and Wolf and i have only had one slam fire. guess that one round just had a weak primer. It was a little suprising when it happened, having 2 rounds go through one right after the other . Thought i was on auto for a second there.......lol. In my opinion i think its safe to shoot factory made brand named ammo.

mrbsox
06-08-06, 06:16 AM
As I recall, UMC IS a Remington product, so I also trust it highly. Have always been a bit leary of Wolf, but a recent article on it has started changing my mind.

I'm scheptical (sp?) of 'surplus' ammo I've seen advertised, like from India or some where, but like the idea of being in factory sealed 'combat' bags.

I'm really leaning towards the M1A, but like the weight and size of the AR variants, but most of the AR's I've explored have a rather high MOA. Maybe a SOCOM stock for the Springfield would give me what I'm after.

Still researching.
Any others ??

RLeon
06-09-06, 06:33 PM
I have an M1 Garand and a Springfield M1A .
In both weapons the firing pin makes contact with the primer when the round is chambered.
That's why you need to use ammo with hard primers.
I shoot military surplus and commercial UMC, PNC, and Federal Eagle.
I have never had a slam fire. I stay away from reloaded ammo and Indian surplus.
The AR variants don't have slam fires becuase the pins don't touch the primers like in the case of the other two.
I'm an M14 fanatic so naturally I'm going to push the M1A, but if you really fear slam fires and are familiar with the M16 go with the AR10....What the heck am I saying??!! Go witht the M1A you won't be sorry... :marine: