PDA

View Full Version : MARINES Recon/ Correct me if I'm wrong

BavariaDE
06-07-06, 01:13 PM
Hello,

Recently I was looking through the MOS optioins and came across the MOS (0321). Apperantly this MOS allows you to take RECON courses right after attending bootcamp. What I would like to know is if it is

A-True
B-What do you think of this
and
C-Would you do it this way to become part of the ELITE's ELITE or would you wait and volunteer for it later on?

Thanks for Reading!

Sincerely,
BavaiaDE

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-08-06, 12:42 AM
First, a Recon Marine is still a Marine. You may anger some people by even suggesting that there is an elite within the Marine Corps.

Now, I am not positive, but I would be pretty sure that you don't go from boot camp to Recon training. You would have to go through the Infantry Training Bn. at the School of Infantry first. But, it wouldn't be long before you took the indoc and started your recon training.

What I think doesn't matter, because I'm not the one making decisions. But, since you asked, I think it is a horrible idea. I firmly believe that Recon Marines should not even be able to attempt the indoc until they have been in the Marine Corps for at least two years (I like the idea of 4 even more). I simply think that everyone would be better served by having only Marines that have proven themselves in the FMF prior to taking on the additional task of being a recon bubba.

BavariaDE
06-08-06, 06:12 AM
Thanks for your reply, and sorry about the elite thing i didn't mean to offend anyone. As for my choice, i'll think i will wait and then sign up. Thanks for your input.

Ignition
06-08-06, 11:42 PM
you choose the 03-- part.....

the Marine Corps chooses the --XX (X's part)

the majority of the time.

outlaw3179
06-09-06, 10:39 AM
Ive got a buddy whos a recruiter and this is what he told me. After you complete boot camp you still have to go to SOI for your infantry training. Either during SOI or as soon as you get to the fleet you get the opportunity to attend the Recon Indoc. The indocs alot of running swimming and pt'ing. If you dont pass that Indoc you go straight to a line company and become a regular grunt where you hump hump and hump some more. So all that mos guarantee is , that you are guarnateed the chance to try out. Also that means you cant be a disgusting fat body that looks like a bag of doughnuts in your uniform. You have to have a 1st class PFT, 1st class Swim qual, and a good record.

MillRatUSMC
06-09-06, 12:39 PM
First the most important part of being a Recon Marine is MOTIVATION.
Second you must have a CWS1 rating in swimming.

Reserve Marines might have an MOS of 0321, after SOI, they will be tested to see they can qualify to go Recon.
Now with the move of some Force Recon Marines to join the U.S Amy Special Forces and Navy Seals, in Special Operations Command (SOC), there been a need created.
The Marine Corps now is seeking Marines to become Recon Marines.
If you meet the criteria, you will attend a Basic Recon Course.
On passing that course, you will than be a Basic Recon Marine.
There a lot of information on Recon on the web.
Just do a search...
There two types of Recon Marines, Battalion and Force Recon.
The difference being, who their commanding officer.
Battalion Recon might answer to a Division Commander.
Force Recon to a Task Force Commander.
After serving in Recon for a while, you will be given the chance to apply for Force Recon.
You will need to go through Force Recon Indoctrination or (Idoc).
Having been part of 1st and 3rd Recon, I can tell that I met some highly motivated Marines.
Hope that all this has been of some help...

Ignition
06-10-06, 11:50 AM
you can apply with a swim qual 2 but in order to become recon you must pass the swim 1 qual

Ignition
06-10-06, 11:55 AM
also as a radio operator you have a chance to apply for recon, but your job is just a lil different seeing as you are the comm guy, not just a grunt

bigdog43701
06-10-06, 12:23 PM
check out the 2d recon battalion website...they have a commanders checklist.

Ironrider
06-10-06, 02:40 PM
Way back, when rocks were soft an dinosaurs ruled the earth, and I was a slick sleeve private..I had finshed what you newbees now call SOI, an 0331 ( Back then it was ITR) I reported into 3MArDiv. During our processing, a Staff Sergeant called several of into another room and said we all had basic quals to go into Recon..He then asked for volunteers. The AmphibRecon class 1-79started with 21 of us..we finished with seven. Five of us we grunts, two were commniskaters. That was in 79, an I'm still urpin up the South China Sea...LOL

cplbrooks
06-10-06, 07:44 PM
if i were you i would wait to complete SOI and spend a year in the fleet really getting yourself into shape before trying out for recon. See if you can stand that level of PT etc. As i recall, the swim qual is what washed most people out. Force Recon just seemed like a miserable way to spend four years for me. IT may look cool on TV, but when you are there and cold and wet and exhausted it is no longer much fun. If you can handle that then go for it.

Tarzan
12-20-09, 10:40 AM
I’m not sure if it is the same but when I was with 1st Force Reconnaissance Co anybody can try out for recon regardless of the MOS.....They prefer 03XX. The first is the screening. You will show up and take a PFT that you would have to get a 1st class on...Then you do your swim quall no matter what class you are. You go from 4th to 1st all after the PFT. Just to weed out the integrity violators who might have gotten a hook up with the PFT and swim quall previously. If you pass you would go to Training Platoon. That is basically drowning and PTing all day every day for a month. [/font]
Once the month is up and the Cadre decides you have a fighting chance at the Endoc.....you take it. [/font]

First you take the PFT and you not only have to get a 1st class but it has to be a 275 instead of 225.[/font]
Then you run the obstacle course 2x the first time is timed and must be completed in less than 2 min the second one for completion. [/font]
Then you would do the Combat dive school level test. That is about 25 to 50 of every exercise you can think of....to many to list here. [/font]
Then is the swim portion. 500 meters in cammies in fewer than 17 min, then rifle retrieval from the bottom of the pool immediately followed by a 25 meter rifle tow. Then 25 meter under water swim....then finally a surprise that last as long as it takes in the pool. [/font]

After that you have your 8 mile ruck run with 50 pounds on your back and in the hills and the beach. You have to complete that in less than 2 hours. Keep in mind this is all back to back events.

After that is the "gut check" then you are done. If you completed it and the Cadre is satisfied with your performance then you go to BRC "Basic Reconnaissance Course. Followed by nonstop training for the rest of your time there. Jump school, Dive school, shooting packages, the works.

Lisa 23
12-20-09, 11:21 AM
Another thread brought back to life after 3 years....

And Tarzan, you might want to square away your profile there, so the Marines here know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

Tarzan
12-20-09, 01:03 PM
Sorry if i offended you by responding to a thread that's 3 years old........Next time i will be more careful. It's just that i have been with the company for 4 years and thought i might be able to give some useful information for the next Marine who has the same question and ends up on this same thread.

Oh and i would update my profile but why would i want to do that? Maybe i just don't want some people to know who i am. Or maybe it has something to do with ATFP.......since anybody can become a member on this site and look at other people information. I don't know...Just a thought but of course i can be wrong. Have a good day. :thumbup:

Lisa 23
12-20-09, 01:12 PM
You didn't offend me or anyone by posting in a thread that's over 3 years old. I didn't know if you noticed that or not when you posted, that's all.
As for your profile, how hard is it to give just your first name and some basic info on you so we know that you are a Marine or not. There are a lot of active duty Marines on this site who have complete profiles.
A Marine who doesn't fill out his/her profile leaves most of us Marines a bit sceptical as to whether the person is actually a Marine or not.

Big Jim
12-20-09, 01:48 PM
You didn't offend me or anyone by posting in a thread that's over 3 years old. I didn't know if you noticed that or not when you posted, that's all.
As for your profile, how hard is it to give just your first name and some basic info on you so we know that you are a Marine or not. There are a lot of active duty Marines on this site who have complete profiles.
A Marine who doesn't fill out his/her profile leaves most of us Marines a bit sceptical as to whether the person is actually a Marine or not.

YEAH....WHAT SHE SAID....!!!!!!!