PDA

View Full Version : Foxhole to fightinghole?

Osotogary
06-06-06, 03:53 PM
I became familiar with the term "fightinghole" about a little over four years ago; I had always used the term "foxhole". It was made known to me, at that time, that the term "fightinghole" was used exclusively by the Marine Corps and that the Army and all others used "foxhole".
I am now in the process of reading "Semper Fi"- Stories of the United States Marines from Boot Camp to Battle. Edited by Clint Willis. In the third story about Guadalcanal there is a reference to "foxhole" (We slipped into our fox holes.) In other Marine Corps related books, I have read, there have been references to the terms "spiderhole" and "Ranger graves". I am pretty much certain, considering the context of the books, that "spiderhole" and "Ranger grave" meant the same thing as "fightinghole" but for some reason they were not described as such even though Marines were using them.

Question: When did "foxholes" become "fightingholes"? Is one term more correct to say than another?

ChristianMedia
06-06-06, 03:55 PM
Foxholes are for hiding - Fightingholes are for, well, you guessed..

.:evilgrin:

FistFu68
06-06-06, 04:57 PM
:evilgrin: FOX HOLE WAS MY LAST X~WIFE, FIGHTING HOLE IS WHERE I NEVER WANNA BE AGAIN!:beer: (LONG LIVE FORCE)