PDA

View Full Version : Marine's father sues funeral protesters

ROHO
06-06-06, 10:46 AM
Kentucky Lexington Herald

Posted Mon, Jun 05, 2006

MARINE'S FATHER SUES FUNERAL PROTESTERS:

GREENBELT, MD- The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters from a fundamentalist Kansas church filed an invasion-of-privacy suit against the demonstrators Monday.

It is belived to to be the first lawsuit brought by a serviceman's family against Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., whose members routinely demonstrate at military funerals around the country

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., the father of Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder, is seeking unspecified damages. The younger Snyder, 20 died March 3 after an
accident in the Ambar province of Iraq. He was buried in Westminster, Md.

"We think it's a case we can win because anyone's furneral is private." Albert Snyder's lawyer Sean Summers said. "You don't have a right to interrupt someone's private funeral."

After filing the suit, Snyder said at a news conference that he hoped a hefty judgment would leave the church members unable to afford travel for more protests.

"I want it to stop," he said of the protests. " I didn't know there were people in the world who did that."

Members of Westboro say the military deaths in Iraq are God's punishment for America's tolerance of gays. They typically carry signs with slogans such as "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for IEDs." a reference to the roadside bombs used by insurgents.

The church has inspired dozens of state laws banning funeral protests, including a Maryland law that did not go into effect until after Snyder's memorial.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the small congregation, said it is the first time Westboro has been sued by a soldier's family.

"We were excercising our First Amendment rights," she said.

hrscowboy
06-06-06, 01:08 PM
Well shirley you demented Physco broad you and your group and your phoney daddy wont be doing it much longer when these familys start sueing the hell out of ya..

hrscowboy
06-06-06, 01:11 PM
I smell money leaving your pockets along with all your followers..