PDA

View Full Version : Speaking To Your Drill Instructors

allenbenton
06-05-06, 10:10 PM
When responding to a Drill Instructor's order, I know you must follow "Sir, Yes, Sir," or "Sir, Aye,Aye, Sir." Which one must we respond to what order? Also, the greeting of the day. I have heard many different responses, I just don't know which one is correct. I know my most important goal is to get myself on those yellow footprints, but these are are just things I have always been confused by.

nquaint
06-05-06, 10:16 PM
did you get that from Full Metal Jacket? "sir, yes sir" is a sir sandwich, which isn't used nowdays, it would just be "yes sir!" But don't worry about that stuff, it'll be beaten into you head soon enough...

allenbenton
06-05-06, 10:27 PM
Yeah...

CrazyBrave83
06-05-06, 11:32 PM
Yes, Sir/Maam - Used in response to a question. Example: "ARE YOU GOING TO OPEN YOUR FILTHY SUCKS THIS TIME?" Correct Response: "YES, SIR/MAAM"

Aye, Sir/Maam - Used in response to an action or direct order. Example: "OPEN YOUR FILTHY SUCKS!" Correct Response: "AYE, SIR/MAAM"

Greeting of the Day - Will dictate itself by what TIME of the day it is. 0500-1200 hrs (morning) 1200-1800 hrs (Afternoon) 1800-2100 hrs (Evening). Example: (it's 1330 hrs and a recruit is walking towards a Drill Instructor) "Good Afternoon, Sir/Maam!" If you are overtaking (passing behind) the Drill Instructor it'd be "By your leave, Good Afternoon, Sir/Maam"

The explanation seems daunting, but once you're down there they'll click within the first two weeks. You WILL slip up. Don't worry, you'll get it.

Another one you'll have to look out for is "Gangway." You'll find out why, and if you're slow to pick up, you'll make intimate friends with a wall.

allenbenton
06-06-06, 12:26 AM
Thanks, CrazyBrave83, I appreciate the information.

The Sandman
06-06-06, 04:08 AM
excellent response CrazyBrave83, thank you.

devildoghopeful
06-06-06, 10:59 AM
While we're on topic, what is the plural of Sir/Ma'am? I've heard both 'sirs' and 'gentlemen' and I'm not sure which is correct.

Thanks

Alex

outlaw3179
06-06-06, 11:49 AM
gentlemen or ladies

jgorosco
06-06-06, 12:42 PM
Also "Yuts" is accepted