PDA

View Full Version : Is the infantry really what everyne says?

hunter11106
06-05-06, 07:19 AM
I am a poolee I joined the united states marine corps june 1 2006. I wanna know if the infantry feild is really everything that people say it is.

hunter11106
06-05-06, 07:21 AM
please help me with my question i scored a 52 on the asvab i know that is not to high but ill work on it!

Future-USMC-LT
06-05-06, 09:37 AM
What infantry MOS did you want? I'm a mortarman (0341). There are many things I could say, like you have a lot of heavy gear which you carry and hump around, the hours are longer, things like that. The truth is, I think it's a rewarding job. And sometimes, it's even fun. The thing is, no matter what job you get, there will be times you absolutely hate it, and then there will be times where you thank God that you are in the job that you are in.

I joined the united states marine corps june 1 2006
You didn't join the Marine Corps June 1, you got accepted into the Marine Corp DEP program. And please capitalize Marine Corps.

Marine84
06-05-06, 10:11 AM
Help the boys out a little more - what do YOU think you're getting into?

rktect3j
06-05-06, 10:38 AM
please help me with my question i scored a 52 on the asvab i know that is not to high but ill work on it!
Somebody here is going to have to help me on this one. A score of 52? I think the minimum score you need is 80 for any job in the Corps. I don't think any amount of help will fix this problem or he has his numbers mixed up.

rktect3j
06-05-06, 10:41 AM
I am a poolee I joined the united states marine corps june 1 2006. I wanna know if the infantry feild is really everything that people say it is.
The entire "United States Marine Corps" should be capitalized. Maybe even June. I before e except after c. Field. :banana:

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-05-06, 01:47 PM
People have said that the infantry is many things, some are true, others are not. Tell us what you're thinking, and maybe we can help you out.

outlaw3179
06-05-06, 02:38 PM
Who are theese "they" and what are "they" saying ?

Bige1371
06-05-06, 04:34 PM
Rk you can join the Corps with a score less than 80 on the asfab. I scored less than 80 not going to be to specific and got a decent Mos. My youngest brother also scored less than 80 and he is eligble to be an Mp. I think they base a lot of it on other scores like GT and math etc...

rktect3j
06-05-06, 06:08 PM
Rk you can join the Corps with a score less than 80 on the asfab. I scored less than 80 not going to be to specific and got a decent Mos. My youngest brother also scored less than 80 and he is eligble to be an Mp. I think they base a lot of it on other scores like GT and math etc...
Here is the thing Bige. Your GT score is a product of certain portions of the ASVAB. The ASVAB is a battery of tests which in certain areas you are given a score. Then the Marine Corps adds up the portions of theses scores from this test that suits their needs.

The ASVAB subtests for determining the composites are: General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), Auto and Shop Information (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), Electronics Information (EI), and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension, scaled (VE).

Current aptitude area composites used for MOS selection for the Marine Corps are as follows:

CL- Clerical, Administrative, Supply & Finance - NO + CS + VE (Note: CL Score was eliminated in late 2002. All job Marine Corps requirements that required a CL score were changed to GT Score at this time. The score requirements are the same. In other words, if a job previously required a CL score of 90, then it was changed to require a GT score of 90).

EL -Electronics Repair, Missile Repair, Electronics and Communications -GS+AR+MK+EI

MM - Mechanical Maintenance, Construction, Utility and Chemical Maintenance (hazmat) - GS+AS+MK+MC

GT - General Technical, Special and Officer Programs - VE+AR

This thing is a mess. Does anybody actually know?

Stanley Hroszow
06-05-06, 06:26 PM
The field Marines are great I was one, also a Postal Clerk, it was great too. all jobs are good just remember what you put into them is what you get out of them.:marine: :cool: :flag:

Marine84
06-05-06, 06:28 PM
I was lucky - I pretty much played multiple guess with the mechanical parts of it and did better in Electronics - HAHAHAHAH! - I didn't know squat about electronics. They let me build bombs and work on bomb racks for 4 years!

Only in the Marine Corps................

yellowwing
06-05-06, 06:37 PM
"Front Toward Enemy", sounds simple enough. Does that make me an EOD expert? :banana:

Stanley Hroszow
06-05-06, 06:38 PM
I was lucky - I pretty much played multiple guess with the mechanical parts of it and did better in Electronics - HAHAHAHAH! - I didn't know squat about electronics. They let me build bombs and work on bomb racks for 4 years!

Only in the Marine Corps................ Booom!

Marine84
06-05-06, 09:12 PM
Pretty much yellowwing..............LOL!

jaredeker
06-06-06, 05:03 AM
I don't know killer. Do people say that the infantry is populated by Marines whose job it is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and manuever or repel the enemy the enemy's assault by fire and close combat? Because if that is what "people" are saying, then the infantry is everything they say it is. If "people" are saying something different, then they are wrong.

ChiefUSMC
06-06-06, 11:23 AM
First and formost young man congrats on making the decision to become one of the FEW and The Proud.
:flag:

The decision you just made a couple of days ago will stay with you for the rest of your life. The things that you learn while on this journey will assist you in future endevors.

Make sure to get yourself prepared both physically and mentally remember your recruiter can only do so much to help you. You must help to prepare yourself also.

And always be thinking who else could make this decision remember you must replace yourself in the Delayed Entry Program. We must keep our Marine Corps Strong. If you have any questions while in the DEP please feel free to contact me.

Semper Fi
GySgt Rowley
Career Recruiter/NCOIC RSS Wichita North
Wichita Kansas
316-943-8132
:flag: :marine:

cplbrooks
06-10-06, 08:28 PM

Maybe i can help. Future MARINE is only in the reserves and a boot on top of that so i doubt he knows what its like to be a fleet marine in the grunts. Dont worry about his grammar lesson.

The Infantry is a lot of work. When you are not in the field you will be cleaning weapons and doing a lot of field days or cleaning etc. When you are in the field it is a few minutes of intense excitement followed by many hours of excruciating boredom.

My honest opinion is that it sucked, but why join the Marines if you are not in the grunts? Thats what its all about.

outlaw3179
06-10-06, 10:42 PM
I wrote this on an earlier post a ways back but it applies here also.

From my experience this is what it went like . Youd either be in the field that week or in garrison ( not in the field) . If you were to go out, you either hump out there, truck out there or id fly out there. (helos). When you got out there youd do all kinds of stuff depending out what was on the training schedule. Sit in the defense, assaults, room clearing it just depends on what your doing. Sleeping in the field isnt so bad. you get use to it even when its freezing or its raining . You just do it. Thats why your called a grunt.
When your in garrison your back at your base , reveille goes between 5-530 , P.t. in the morning , get some chow , maybe a formation , and then see whats on tap for the day. Sometimes its weapons cleaining, classes, maybe NBC, or just whatever we have to do. Most of the time, were usually off by 1630 (430 ) , when you get turned to your off. You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as your back by the appropriate time the next day. Usually weekends off.
To be honest with you as a grunt you have a lot of time off. Evenings, holidays, 72 here, 96 there. It just all depends on your command. But grunts earn all those hours off. When we train , were there to train. We hump , hump and hump. The humps youll get use to. and ill be honest with you . For me there was no greater satisfaction then finishing up a hump and knowing that you completed it. Sometimes living in the field is better than being in garrison just cuz all the b.s. that can go on back there.
Grunts are special people just cuz theyre dirty theyre mean and they dont like pogues. We can take alot of sh*t, we ***** alot but we get the job done. We deploy alot , were always going on some kind of excercise, CAX, Bridgeport, Rimpac, Fleetex, Socex, whatever it may be. Your just always busy. I honestly dont know the other side of the Marine Corps so yeah Im biased but damn, I had a ton of fun doing it. I hope this can at least answer some of your questions but whatever job you choose in the Corps Im sure youll enjoy it. But remember ... The whole Marine Corps revolves around the Infantry. Every other job in the Corps is to support the Grunts.

I had a great time in the infantry. Got to shoot guns, blow sh*t up, ride around in helicopters , fastrope , spyrig, got to deploy alot , really travel around the world, partied on different continents and had a blast living in So Cal. So for me my time in the fleet in the grunts was good. All the time? No..Hell no.....sometimes its sucked. But thats like anywhere. Times may be different know with the fast paced training tempo getting Marines ready for Iraq but at least youll still get to shoot guns, blow sh*t up and if your lucky get you a bad guy. Just my opinion .

Stanley Hroszow
06-11-06, 12:03 PM
that it in a nut shell. I was a grunt or ground pounder all the same I was also a Postal Clerk which was a little easer but not much it depends your duty station, and you.

FistFu68
06-11-06, 02:19 PM
:evilgrin: FIXED~BOYONET! DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR~(LONG LIVE FORCE) :evilgrin: DIDN'T JOIN CORPS~TO HALF~STEP! :thumbup:

marinegreen
06-12-06, 04:28 AM

Its like anything else in life yung'en, its what you make of it. I could've choosen another Mos but I choose to be a grunt, theres good and bad in everything but I can say I had alot more good days then bad. I seen 15 countries and dint have a bad time in any of them.I made E-4(Cpl) in 13 mths, all metitoriously. You'll meet a group of guys that will become your family. Go in and stay focused on being an outstanding Marine. My only regret about the MARINE Corps is that I didnt stay in and be a lifer. GOOD LUCK !!!:thumbup: :usmc: