PDA

View Full Version : Marines and Wives

redneck13
06-04-06, 02:48 PM
:flag: :banana: :thumbup: In my early career as a Marine, the traditional methodolgy, to coin a word, use of phrases that adore most "Salts" was; "IF THE CORPS WANTED YOU TO HAVE A WIFE, IT WOULD HAVE ISSUED YOU ONE!!"
This insidious, audacious phrase stuck with me during and after my tour in the Corps. It was my most inner being feelings towards my Marine Wife. Sort of like some identification of an animal.
I even used the infamous despictable phrase towards my very wonderful, loving, understanding, Wife. As a Marine Drill Instructor I used it often when recruit's told me about their wives troubles other. I firmly regret and apologize that I could be so caught up in the "Way's and Mean's" of the Corps' Treatment of wives.
Sure....we were Marines first, husband to our wives, Last. It was the (maybe still is) way the Corps was/is made of.
After my tenure in the Corps, sadly I continued with my demeanor which I held in my inner most being this "Ways and Means" that of a Marine and especially being a former Marine Corps Drill Instructor with and to my wife and children.
Then couple that with the adverse effects of a combat Marine, with what wasn't known then, now they know it as PTSD. My marriage was so close to failure yet somehow we made it for 38 yrs. till the end came in 2004. She divorced me.
I had forgotten my vows. Vows which mean more to me today then they did while being married. I broke every vow!! My ever so wonderful, kind, gentle, soft spoken, non opinionated wife, held onto to hers like a mouth to a flame, until she could no longer take abuse I gave, so close to her heart.
"HONOR, LOVE, CHERISH, OBEY", (equal in all ways and meaningful ways) "IN SICKNESS AND HEALTH, FOR RICHER OR POORER" until "DEATH" do you part, meant just exactly what she said when she said "I DO" at our wedding.
I held her down with an overbearing presence keeping her down with a strong thumb, like she was my "SLAVE!!", to/for me.
There wasn't any equality. "I'M THE KING OF MY CASTLE", I AM THE MAN OF THE HOUSE, YOU WILL OBEY, DO, ACT, THINK, CARRY OUT MY EVERY COMMAND!!"
You can only kick a lying dog so long before it bites you.
She finally fought back to some degree but, I didn't stand for it. The end was near. I couldn't see it because my mind was closed and so focused on me, not as a couple, yet as "ONE!!"
Sharing, giving, loving, kindness, helping her in rearing our children, doing household chores, cooking, cleaning, outdoor things, shopping, paying bills, balancing the budget, (of which I never followed, if I had 1c-to 500 dollars, nothing else mattered, I spent it) just wasn't in my venue of life. As I am a Marine even though I wasn't active yet, the stigma remained. (Being a Marine forever, I am, I'm proud of that, and I'm not putting the Corps down, I just learned the hard way about Marine and Wives)
As I started my Monday night quarterbacking of our lives together, what a "T-TOTAL JACKASS I WAS!!"
How could I with any reasonable good conscience blame her for wanting out of the marriage?! There just isn't any excuse or other analogy I could use to not accept "WHY" she divorced me.
To an unwarranted credit, she told me; "I LOVE YOU BUT, I CAN'T LIVE WITH YOU!!"
Why am I telling this story? A. I want to make an awareness to all Marines who might be thinking of marriage, married, engaged. B. Leave the Corps behind when dealing with your relationships, leave it where it belongs. C. Honor the woman you say you love. Treat her as an equal, heed my advice about taking your vows seriously. D. She should be your "BEST FRIEND" at all costs, in all matter's as being best friends along with pure love makes a marriage last. Don't live like two separate enities. E. She's a lady, a wife, a friend, not some servant you just so happened to be lucky enough to obtain. F. Love her, cherish her, obey her, honor her as your equal, stand by her, stand up for her, give of yourself to her as she will you. G. Chilvary isn't dead. It's not "UN-MANLY" to do for her what you would want her to do for you as an equal. Open the door for her, let her go first, hold her hand, hold her when she is in dire need of a hug, a kiss, or a shoulder to cry on. This is what God intended for a married couple to be like....."ONE" joined at the hip, if you will, forever. H. Let no one, no thing, undermine, "RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER, COURTESY, CARING, LOVE, PUTTING YOUR BEST FRIEND/WIFE "FIRST" IN YOUR LIFE!!
This goes as I've said for all Marines who are married, engaged to be married, thinking of marriage, just a bit of advice from a person (not the only person) who has done it all wrong, wishes he could've done it right, hoping another Lady will come into my life, and I'll do it right this time.
I don't think there's a harder life for a woman than being a Marines Wife. (Fireman, Police Officer's, Deputy Sheriff Officer's, wives are close) Remember, it's not a one way street, don't be fooled into thinking that it is, because you'll be headed down the wrong path.
Generation Gaps? That's a load of bunk. There isn't one amoungst us who cannot change, it's the attitude of "WANTING TO CHANGE" that is the hurdle. You can teach old dogs new tricks in more ways than one.
I pity those who won't change, not them, their wives. SF Now carry on Maggot's.

yellowwing
06-04-06, 08:14 PM
"IN SICKNESS AND HEALTH, FOR RICHER OR POORER"
Our Beloved Marine wives definately learn the full meaning of that part of the vows.

Here's a good article (http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19278485%255E912,00.html) on Jessica Miller hanging in there for LCpl Blake Miller, our Marlboro Marine.