PDA

View Full Version : I hate good byes

KMichael
06-04-06, 01:26 PM
Okay... I hate good byes... So I'm not going to say it... I want to thank you for all of the support and the next time I see you all I will be a US Marine... I want to thank the Marines who have been there to answer all my my questions as off the wall as most of them may have seemed and the Poolees who have been there to talk about the things we poolees talk about... and now... My bit of advice for the remaining poolees on Leatherneck:

Don't give up... It may seem hard at the time but the the hardships are worth the prize at the end of the maze... It's worth waking up in the morning with cuts and briuses from the different pool functions or the muscle soreness for a hardcore PT session with your recruiters... Just remember what you are working for and what you're doing it for... We ALL have different reasons for joining the Corps but all in all we have the same goal... To be a Marine... And a side note... Don't take it personally when your mom kinda freaks out on you when it comes to you leaving... She doesnt mean anything by it... She's just worried about you and even though you're 17 or 18 years old you're still her baby...

Well... I think thats about it... I'm going to miss you all and will see you when I get back... :yes:

devildoghopeful
06-04-06, 02:03 PM
Good Luck Kaydra!

Your unfailing motivational attitude on this website has served as an inspiration to all of us wannabes and poolees and I think I speak for all of us poolees when I say that I think from what I know of the Marine Corps (which I admit isn't as much as the Marines here obviously) you're going to make one heck of a Marine.

Dont forget to write a journal if you can!

Best of luck, try to enjoy yourself and come back to us as a United States Marine!

GO FOR IT!

Alex

http://www.myspace.com/ccfalex

Marine84
06-04-06, 02:20 PM
Do us proud girl! In the morning you'll wake up to the worst noise you've heard in your life - well, for the next 3 months you'll wake up like that! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't wait to hear about it!

Mama
06-04-06, 09:02 PM
Well y'all, she's off...

She left with her recruiter at 1800.

I'm proud of her ... missing her already ... but proud

PFTstud
06-04-06, 10:26 PM
Shes good to go.

devildoghopeful
06-05-06, 02:50 AM
Stay Strong Mama!

Just remember that she'll come back a Marine!

I'm always here to talk to.

Keep the faith!

Alex

His_angel
06-05-06, 08:02 AM
She'll be okay Mama. Sounds like she has a good support system in place. Boot will be over before both of you know it.

Marine84
06-05-06, 01:45 PM
I can't wait to hear how she handles the first day with the wake up - the forming DIs weren't that bad but, BOY, when the ones came in that were going to be with us the whole time - I fell slap off that top rack and thought "what the hell?" - I thought I was in a war zone for a minute until I got good and awake.

That was some funny stuff!

Camper51
06-05-06, 05:19 PM
Trash can lids, sticks and trash cans.............ah yess that glorious sound of your first wakeup call....

Course now I wonder how many trash cans and lids the companies went through each year??? ha ha ha ha ha..............

Mama
06-05-06, 07:21 PM
Here are the pics from the airport today
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/Gwenyfur/Kaydra%20Senior%20PIcs/Airport/
The Recruits from left to right are

Recruit Michael, Recruit Lane, and Recruit Bowser

God bless 'em all :)

PS...I'm okay...today for some reason dried the tears and even Mama's okay now :D

Stanley Hroszow
06-05-06, 07:41 PM
Great Pics Mrs. Mom She most likely come back as the top Marine in her platoon.

Mama
06-05-06, 07:44 PM
That her goal LOL
Thanks Stanley :)

jinelson
06-05-06, 07:45 PM
Im glad Kaydra read the knowlege and absorbed it here and it shows. Those two other gals that wore their Poolee shirts are in big trouble when the Drill Instructors see those eagle globe and anchors at PI.

Marine84
06-05-06, 08:55 PM
I was thinking the exact thing Jinelson...........HAHAHAHAHA! Mama make sure you ask about the reception those 2 got - I can hear it now:

OH, SO YOU TWO BOBSY TWINS THINK YOU'RE WORTHY OF WEARING MY MARINE CORPS EMBLEM ALREADY? (all up in the face now) THAT'LL BE THE ONLY MARINE CORPS EMBLEM YOU'LL WEAR OFF THIS ISLAND RECRUIT!

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shadowman777
06-07-06, 07:42 PM
Im glad Kaydra read the knowlege and absorbed it here and it shows. Those two other gals that wore their Poolee shirts are in big trouble when the Drill Instructors see those eagle globe and anchors at PI.

LOL - I didn't know what those shirts were - and yeah buddy, big time trouble!!!

MAMA - you gonna keep updates of Kaydra on this thread???

Lithium
06-07-06, 07:48 PM
Mama- Please let PooleeMichael know that we are all wishing her good luck and have full confidence that she will come back as one proud Marine. :iwo:

Shadowman777
06-07-06, 07:50 PM
That her goal LOL
Thanks Stanley :)

You do realize that she is going through, "What the hell did I get myself into?" right now - don't ya???

Keep those few first letters from Kaydra ... save them and put them it a lock box! They are priceless, and can be used for blackmail later on!

Thank God my parents lost mine. I whined like a stuck pig! Is normal for about the first week. I think they went something like this ..."Get me the hell out of here!!!" LOL!!!

Shadowman777
06-07-06, 07:52 PM
She'll be okay Mama. Sounds like she has a good support system in place. Boot will be over before both of you know it.

I disagree! Boot camp will go quick for mom. For Kaydra? LOL - it will be a friggin' eternity!!!

Kaydra's life will have changed so much in just 3 months, that she will think the entire world simply stood still during that time! I know I did!

Mama
06-07-06, 08:05 PM
I'll keep y'all updated :D

I'll share what she's told me I can anyhow...

If you want to send encouragment to her post it here and I'll paste it into her letters from me! I know it will help encourage here :)

Thanks y'all :)

Stanley Hroszow
06-07-06, 08:19 PM
How long is boot camp? at this time.:cool: :flag:

Shadowman777
06-07-06, 08:33 PM
I'll keep y'all updated :D

I'll share what she's told me I can anyhow...

If you want to send encouragment to her post it here and I'll paste it into her letters from me! I know it will help encourage here

EXCELLENT! Good Lord - I feel like *my daughter*in going through boot right now! Errrr ... the only difference is my oldest daughter doesn't have what it takes to be a Marine. My son does - and is a Marine as we speak.

OK - post one for Kaydra:

"It ain't what you thought it was gonna be is it Kaydra. LOL - yeah, I know - far worse!

It is OK - as no one is EVER ready for Marine Corps boot camp. HELL, I WASN'T!!!

It will get better sweetie - trust me! Everyone who has worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor has gone through **EXACTLY** what you are experiencing RIGHT NOW!

It sucks right? Oh yeah - but that's OK! That is NORMAL!!!

We love you and are pulling for you girl!"
Ok - send that to her! She needs that right now. Her whole world has been turned upside down, is in a high speed blender, and needs encouragement.

But as I wrote to your daughter - this is all part of the process!!!

Thanks Mom!

Steve

Mama
06-08-06, 12:37 AM
Okies Shadowman and Lithium, I put your well wishes into today's letter.

I don't have her address yet, but I'm still writing her a daily letter so her first mail call ... well she'll have a few :D

Thanks y'all for caring so much about my daughter...you will probably never know what it means to me that she's made such good friends :)

God bless each of you!

Shadowman777
06-08-06, 06:44 AM
Okies Shadowman and Lithium, I put your well wishes into today's letter.

I don't have her address yet, but I'm still writing her a daily letter so her first mail call ... well she'll have a few

Thanks y'all for caring so much about my daughter...you will probably never know what it means to me that she's made such good friends

God bless each of you!

Just living vicariously through your daughter ;)

Being serious now ... actually there was a huge awakening in me - because of my own son going to Parris Island in the late of 2002. I was walked through what you are going through right now - except I had been there on PI and understand what they are feeling right now.

That being said, I am a "guy" - and we whine a lot. That should not be news to you! You chicks are always much tougher then we guys are, so I can only relay the thoughts that a "guy" has - so that's what I am doing!

BTW - I loved those airport pics. Thank you for sharing, and SAVE THOSE! They will be a "before and after" snap shot of her life which she will appreciate for decades to come!

God bless -

Mama
06-08-06, 02:41 PM
They're already on CD!!! as well as the puter, photobucket and hard copies for the scrapbook I'm making for her of her Marine Corps adventures. Guess it's a mom thing LOL We gotta keep photos of everything our kids go through and do LOL

jennifer
06-08-06, 03:37 PM
Good Luck to her MAMA!! And be strong, she'll be in and out for a while. I know my mom was devasted when I left, seeing as how I was the youngest and only female. (two older brothers) She'll make you proud yet and those two girls with the poolee shirts, haha... kinda sucks that their recruiters didn't tell them to NOT wear anything that's Marine Corps related. HAHAHA!! Can't wait to hear about that!!! I know when I left to boot there was this girl wearing one and haha did she get it!!!

Good luck to her and she'll do good!!!

I personally can't wait to go to Drill Instructor school and tear up some recruit A$$!!! ahhhh, I can taste it already!!!

Shadowman777
06-08-06, 05:50 PM
I personally can't wait to go to Drill Instructor school and tear up some recruit A$$!!! ahhhh, I can taste it already!!!

Errr ... glad you wrote that and not me!:cool:

Mama
06-09-06, 08:55 PM
This is a portion of Kaydra's letter from her cat:

Jester's Rifle Creed:
These are my fangs. There are many like them, but these are mine. They, together with my claws, are my nine lives. I must master them as I must master my nine lives. Without me, my fangs and claws are useless. Without my fangs, I and my claws are useless. Without my claws, I and my fangs are useless. I must bite more forcefully than my enemy and my prey. I must bite him before he bites me. I will. My fangs and I know that what counts in hunting is not the size of the fangs, the length of our claws, the stealth we use, or the length of our leaps. We know that it is the bites that count. We will bite.
My fangs are feline, even as I am feline, because they are my lives. Thus, I will learn them as a littermate. I will learn their weaknesses, their strengths, their parts, their accessories (claws), their size, and their points. I will keep my fangs clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.
Before God I swear this creed. My fangs and I are the defenders of my house. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my lives.
So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/Gwenyfur/Jesterattack.jpg

Accroding to her recruiter she should be getting assigned to her platoon today...though we do know she's Oscar Co

MotherofPooleeN
06-09-06, 09:08 PM
Very KOOL!!!

Hope you're doing well

--L

Mama
06-09-06, 09:12 PM
Doin' Great L Thanks :)

She gets her platoon today so that means I'm closer to getting her address...which means closer to actually hearing from her!

I Can't wait!!!

MotherofPooleeN
06-09-06, 09:25 PM
And I'm sure K cannot wait for her stack of letters!!

I'm off for the nite. I've not been feeling well this week.

Take care!!

Shadowman777
06-10-06, 07:15 AM
Doin' Great L Thanks :)

She gets her platoon today so that means I'm closer to getting her address...which means closer to actually hearing from her!

I Can't wait!!!

Oy-veh! She just got her DI's! Is OK - the worst day is now over, but her world is rocking like there is no tomorrow. It'll be rocking like that for about a week.

After that, she gets what the DI's are looking for, and all downhill from there. Problem is - it is one big @ss hill! LOL!

No worries Mama - we have all been through it. If there is one person I have confidence in, it is Kaydra! She is sharp and not afraid of challenges.

Keep in mind, I can only give you a guy's perspective, and you chicks are always tougher then we are!

You've done a great job preparing your daughter Mama!

bigdog43701
06-10-06, 08:39 AM
Marine84...what is sleep during your 1st 2 days at the Island. Under no conditions could I sleep for the 1st two days in "70.

Marine84
06-10-06, 10:30 AM
It wasn't a deep sleep I'll tell ya that...................I was a straggler so I didn't get there until midnight or somewhere in there - I got my own personal "greeting party" - my rack was waiting but I was so scared I couldn't fall asleep for another couple of hours. When I finally did fall asleep it was time to get up.

Here's another one for her Mama.....................

Hey Baby Girl!

Well, tomorrow will be a week since you've been on the Island - isn't the weather lovely? HAHAHAHA! Just wait..................

You're gonna do GREAT girl! Keep your head up and NEVER give up! Even when you think you can't take anymore of the yelling, running back and forth for no particular reason (known to you), all the other stuff you'll be going through - just think about ONE thing - that MARINE CORPS EMBLEM!

You'll probably have a kazillion people to write to but I'll send my address to your Mom and, if you have the time, please write. After all, we're going to be sisters in a few weeks..................SEMPER FI! Marine84

Mama
06-10-06, 06:01 PM
Got it in today's letter along with your address.

Thank you for caring about her so much!!!

Noci
06-10-06, 06:05 PM
Good luck to your daughter, check this site out it may help. My buddys kid brother i knew since he was an infant just grauated in April and I found this for his family.

http://p088.ezboard.com/fparrisislandfrm41

Mama
06-10-06, 06:11 PM
Thanks Shadowmann...

Words are beginning to fail me on how much y'all have helped me be strong for her! Or how much it means to have y'all supporting her...and me...through her training...

thanks

Stanley Hroszow
06-10-06, 06:19 PM
Hay Moma Say hello to her for me

Mama
06-10-06, 06:28 PM
got it in there :)

Thanks

devildoghopeful
06-12-06, 03:52 PM
Devildoghopeful wants to say 'keep at it' and sends all best wishes!

Mama
06-13-06, 04:13 PM
Got it in there devildog

Got her address today so she's gotta ton of letters headed her way.

:yes:

GySgtRet
06-13-06, 04:36 PM
By now she probably knows what sand fleas are. SO let her know that she under NO circumstances needs to slap one of them. They are a friendly little bugs and they have to eat too. Besides the Drill Instructors will be pointing this out if she goes for the sand flea slap. If she has gone through this week then there are only 12 more. Before we all know it she will be a Marine and back home on boot leave. Mama, please keep us posted.

:D

Mama
06-13-06, 04:56 PM
Got it in today's letter, Thank You Gunny :)

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 05:13 PM
By now she probably knows what sand fleas are. SO let her know that she under NO circumstances needs to slap one of them. They are a friendly little bugs and they have to eat too. Besides the Drill Instructors will be pointing this out if she goes for the sand flea slap. If she has gone through this week then there are only 12 more. Before we all know it she will be a Marine and back home on boot leave. Mama, please keep us posted.

Yup - the worst week is over. They should be getting their first phase flag soon, and will no longer be a "forming mob."

If I recall correctly, the recruits won't really begin to get what their DI's are looking for until 2nd phase. In 3rd Phase - they know!

For me, 1st Phase was all about just survivingl! That sound about right Gunny?

GySgtRet
06-13-06, 05:28 PM
I am not sure how to define survival here. Did you escape IPT or did you welcome it...??? I started catching on about phase II also, and then there was more fun and games...!!! LOL

:devious:

Camper51
06-13-06, 05:43 PM
Do they still keep the top button buttoned until 3rd phase?????

Stanley Hroszow
06-13-06, 05:45 PM
When I went through, we did eight, or twelve weeks, and each week we had a funeral for a flea, that was slapped by some one in the platoon, we had to put in a match box, go out dig a six, by six, by six hole and bury it, and say some words over the spot, then mark the grave, and then go on with the day. small or maybee a big price to pay, all how you look at it. we started with about 125 - 130 boots. finished with 87 or 97 do not know don't ask what happened.

Mama
06-13-06, 06:25 PM
WOOOOOT~~~~:yes:

I got my first letter from her today....it was a form letter...but she did scribble 2 lines at the bottom for me!!!
One request is SEND MAIL
So if anyone wants to join in on the writing of letters just send me a pm and I'll give ya her addy.

I tell ya...even if it was a form letter, I was really happy just to see her handwriting....amazing the things you'll settle for when you're daughter is away...ah well, prolly time to get myself off the ceiling again...

Thanks again y'all

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 06:38 PM
Did you escape IPT or did you welcome it...???

No one escapes it, but did I "welcome" it? Hell no!!! Trick is you have to "pretend" you welcome it - then the DI's leave you alone - and move onto fresher meat!

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 06:44 PM
>>When I went through, we did eight, or twelve weeks, and each week we had a funeral for a flea, that was slapped by some one in the platoon, we had to put in a match box, go out dig a six, by six, by six hole and bury it, and say some words over the spot, then mark the grave, and then go on with the day.<<

LOL - that is funny. Never heard of that before! Ya know years from now there will be some escavating done, and they will unearth about 10,000 match boxes. I would to be there when it happens, and watch the construction workers stand there - scratching their heads - wondering what the hell that was all about!

Shadowman777
06-13-06, 06:47 PM
WOOOOOT~~~~ah well, prolly time to get myself off the ceiling again...

Thanks again y'all

Ah, Mama doing the Spider! Excellent!

Mama
06-15-06, 06:09 PM
I got her first real letter today.

She's pretty discouraged and convinced she can do nothing right. From what y'all have told me this is expected. But, she'll make it..."so she won't dissappoint me"

if nothing else...she still wants to make me proud. As if I'm not already ;)

Any messages?

His_angel
06-15-06, 06:25 PM
For Kaydra,

No doubt most of the others are feeling the same as you. It's all part of the process of learning how to do things the Marine Corps way. In a few short weeks you'll look back and understand better. And on graduation day you won't believe how far you've come in such a short time. You've got lots of folks pulling for you. A Mom that believes in you and other Marines here who have spoken highly of you.

My Best,
Angel

Mama
06-15-06, 06:39 PM
Thanks Angel, got it in there :)

Mama
06-15-06, 07:03 PM
She did say she passed her IST her run time was 12:50... dunno but is that good or bad??? I can't seem to find the times and such...thought I had it bookmarked...

marinegreen
06-15-06, 07:11 PM
All that matters for now mom is she passed. I dont know much about run times for our WM'S but she will only get better as time progresses'es. SF

Mama
06-15-06, 07:29 PM
Thanks MarineGreen :D

Shadowman777
06-15-06, 07:49 PM
She did say she passed her IST her run time was 12:50... dunno but is that good or bad??? I can't seem to find the times and such...thought I had it bookmarked...

Print and send her the 3 month schedule of what she will be facing. It is the day to day schedule of what is to come. The not knowing really bugged me.

Now she may or may not have it posted in her squad bay. My son did in his in 2002.

Truth be told, it may have been posted in my squad bay in 1979, but knowing anything about the Corps before I joined, the abbreviations would have meant nothing to me. To Kaydra, they would.

And YES - totally normal what she is going through! They are making her realize just how "not ready" she was for this! LOL

Mama
06-15-06, 07:50 PM
I didn't think of mailing her the matrix...I'll do that! Thank you!!!!

Shadowman777
06-15-06, 07:59 PM
I didn't think of mailing her the matrix...I'll do that! Thank you!!!!

Make sure you put a DI cover on Morpheus with caption, "Now you see how deep the hole goes ..."

Mama
06-15-06, 08:02 PM
ROFL!!!!
Will do :) If you only knew how much I loved playing with graphix ROFL

I'll see what I can find for a smokey bear ;)

marinegreen
06-15-06, 08:08 PM
Print and send her the 3 month schedule of what she will be facing. It is the day to day schedule of what is to come. The not knowing really bugged me.

Now she may or may not have it posted in her squad bay. My son did in his in 2002.

Truth be told, it may have been posted in my squad bay in 1979, but knowing anything about the Corps before I joined, the abbreviations would have meant nothing to me. To Kaydra, they would.

And YES - totally normal what she is going through! They are making her realize just how "not ready" she was for this! LOL

Dont know if such a good idea Shadowman, Has things changed that much where recruits got to see what was there daily scheduel, I never got that LUXURY back in boot and glad I didnt as I feel we would have lost focus on what we were doing in that moment, whereas If we knew what was coming next I think concentration would have been broken. But hey if thats what they do now and its working then who am I to say it isnt right. My opinion, SF.

Shadowman777
06-15-06, 08:31 PM
ROFL!!!!
Will do :) If you only knew how much I loved playing with graphix ROFL

I'll see what I can find for a smokey bear ;)

http://**************/hole.jpg

Mama
06-15-06, 08:44 PM
ROFL...well that saved me some trouble...

Shadowman777
06-15-06, 08:50 PM
Dont know if such a good idea Shadowman, Has things changed that much where recruits got to see what was there daily scheduel, I never got that LUXURY back in boot and glad I didnt as I feel we would have lost focus on what we were doing in that moment, whereas If we knew what was coming next I think concentration would have been broken. But hey if thats what they do now and its working then who am I to say it isnt right. My opinion, SF.

Like I said - we may have had it up when I went through in 1979. Thing is, there are so many acronyms, unless was a true poolie, they would have no idea what they meant. When I sent copy to my son, he said they already had a schedule up - the same as what I sent him.

Boot camp is always such a blur of action. I know there were guys who knew what was coming next (leading me to think the schedule may have been up) but I just thought they were full of it.

In this case, we need to hear from former DI's. They would know for sure - because I am sure do not.

The only thing I was concentrating on in boot camp was "not sticking out." The banana that sticks out is the one that gets peeled. That being said, they also get to be Guide and Honor Marine.

Marine84
06-15-06, 08:55 PM
Oh now THAT'S cool as all get out!

Here's another one for her Mama:

Hey Baby Girl!

Almost through the 2nd week! Keep your head up, don't take anything the DIs say to you personally - Marine Corps bootcamp is like daring somebody to do something. You know how when you dare somebody that they CAN'T do it and they do it just to prove they CAN - Marine Corps DIs (God LOVE them ALL) are daring you every time they tell you that you CAN'T do something or you DON'T deserve to wear the uniform - it's all up to you to show them that you CAN, BY GOD, do it, that you DO, BY GOD, deserve to wear the uniform and you WILL, BY GOD, make it through bootcamp. It will take a couple of weeks for you to figure out what it is exactly that they want from you but the day that light bulb goes on over your head and you figure it out - IT'S SMOOTHE SAILING BABY! Hang in there and drink PLENTY of water! We've all been there - we know what you're going through - we ALL know you're going to make it and your last letter home to Mama (like mine was) will have written on one page in big letters - I MADE IT THROUGH MARINE CORPS BOOTCAMP!

Mama
06-15-06, 08:57 PM
Thanks Marine84,... I got it pasted in for ya.

Camper51
06-16-06, 09:34 AM
Mama, If you read the site that has the training schedule it specifically requests that you NOT send the schedule to your recruit. Think about it, schedules always get changed and she is going to be kept busy virtually every minute she is in boot camp. The last thing she needs is to be trying to think about what may happen tomorrow or a week or two from now. She needs to concentrate on what is being done NOW not in the future. Do a big favor and do not send the schedule. If the Drill Instructors have one posted then she already knows, and if not it is because they do NOT feel the recruits have a need to know.

KEEP those form letters she sent to you. The other day I was going through my bootcamp yearbook and found a letter (form) from General L.E. English welcoming me to bootcamp and it explained some of the things that were going to happen and it also said I may write and complain about conditions there. It was quite surprising to find it and I appreciated that my parents actually kept it. I also had a "Certificate of Acceptance" in to the Corps, that I never knew about. I am gonna have it framed. My dad kept the suitcase that I sent my "civvies" home in along with the address tag that was put on it for mailing. It still amazes me that these small things meant so much to my parents at the time that they actually saved them. I am sure after many years have passed that your daughter will see these things and look back on them with fondness and pride as I do now. Mom is gone now but my love and memories of her are strengthened each time I find something like this.

GySgtRet
06-16-06, 09:43 AM
I agree with Camper 51. You do not want your recruit second guessing the training at all. Because the Marine Corps will teach you to be FLXIBLE.

My 2 cents. Tell her take it one minute at a time it may be intense at times but that is what she has signed up for.

Marine84
06-16-06, 01:15 PM
yeah.............sending a copy of the schedule wouldn't be a good idea - if she gets busted with it, a DI will have a field day chewing on her butt for a while. Better to NOT know what's coming at ya.

Stanley Hroszow
06-16-06, 02:16 PM
Tell her to hold on it will get better as time goes on the only thing that is happening is they break the old or new recruit to mold the new Marine, and to put her self in God's hands and he will get her through as the top Marine # 1.:iwo: :flag: :idea: the light at the end of the tunnel. I have her in my prayers 2x's a day

teddyn
06-16-06, 02:53 PM
Wow! Those two girls in the USMC t-shirts in your photo look really young!

I don't know if this helps, but in the parent advise section of the 'Candidate Book' for the Naval Academy they suggested that for each of the letters you send, you have a different inspirational quotation- there are tons of sites (such as http://www.quotationspage.com/ ) and books filled with them.
On reading that in the book, I thought it was a good idea, or at least it would probably help me :)
I love quotes ;)

There are probably hundreds of Marine Corps specific quotes alone to get you started!

Hope that helps!

teddyn
06-16-06, 02:59 PM
Oh, and here's another idea (also from the Annapolis book):

Include a cut-out of a cartoon your recruit likes from the paper in each letter (like Calvin & Hobbes or Garfield or whatever).
A good way to momentarily think about something else that is neither home nor PI!

I only suggest these because they're something I would like my parents to do if/when I go to recruit training myself :)

teddyn
06-16-06, 03:10 PM
Aaah, just found this one, really lifted me up:

"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results."
-Anon
<table style="width: 13px; height: 22px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> (http://www.quoteland.com/engrave.asp?QUOTE_ID=2298)
</td><td></td><td></td></tr></tbody></table>

LOL, sorry for posting 3 times in a row, I'll let someone else talk now :D

Stanley Hroszow
06-16-06, 03:19 PM
The best ones are in the bible. it has alot of good war stories to

Mama
06-16-06, 03:21 PM
Camper, Marine84, Gunny...I won't send the schedule...I do keep one on my fridge, I added dates to the Matrix and the cross off each day for her as I come home from work in the mornings.

Teddy, I have been pasting notes from here, quotes, cartoons, comics and devotionals into her letters for her. She was disappointed she didn't get to take her Bible with her.

I've also sent her a letter from her cat...he's rather funny anyway so it was pretty easy to send that one LOL I think Scruffy will send her a letter today/tonight...I'll work on it while I'm at work...she's kinda lazy and fat but she's unique as well LOL

Anyhow...thanks y'all for all the suggestions...and the messages

Stanley, I pasted your post into her letter today :) I usually make a section in each letter for "Greetings from your friends at Leatherneck" It includes posts, those who've asked about her in chat etc...anyhow...

Off to get ready for work.

Thank you all *SO* much for all your support and prayers for her! And the advice for me ... I'd hate to get her singled out for something heh

Shadowman777
06-16-06, 04:13 PM
I agree with Camper 51. You do not want your recruit second guessing the training at all. Because the Marine Corps will teach you to be FLXIBLE.

My 2 cents. Tell her take it one minute at a time it may be intense at times but that is what she has signed up for.

You guys are probably right. Though I'd still love to hear from a recent or current DI what the dope is on that. Do we have one on this board?

Mama
06-16-06, 04:46 PM
we have a couple...but I don't see 'em post here in the poolee area too much...prolly an ethics thing??? I dunno?

Marine84
06-16-06, 07:22 PM
Hey Mama! When you do get her address, send it to me please. The WMA (Women Marines Association) chapter that I'm in posts Women Marines to adopt (they could be in bootcamp, in Iraq, anything) in our newsletter every month and I would like to pass her name along if it's OK with you. It would really help her motivation to hear from a few Older Women AND she'll probably get recruited in when she gets out of bootcamp - some chapters do have Active Duty Marines.

marinegreen
06-17-06, 03:24 AM
Hey Mama! When you do get her address, send it to me please. The WMA (Women Marines Association) chapter that I'm in posts Women Marines to adopt (they could be in bootcamp, in Iraq, anything) in our newsletter every month and I would like to pass her name along if it's OK with you. It would really help her motivation to hear from a few Older Women AND she'll probably get recruited in when she gets out of bootcamp - some chapters do have Active Duty Marines.

Have you checked into a Marine Corp League in your area Marine84, theres also a Amvets but guess all depends if your in a big city or a 1 stop light town.SF

Mama
06-20-06, 05:17 PM
I got a letter today!!!!!!!!!

She's doing much better and says BDR is almost over. A few scrapes and bruises but she's doing much better. She says she stays really busy with classes and drilling.

So for my dumb question: What's BDR?

I'm a happy camper, I gotta letter from my girlie!!!!!:yes: :banana: :yes:

Camper51
06-20-06, 05:37 PM
Now now, I am the Happy Camper around here..........Glad ya got some mail already, bet that just made your day!!!! I will restate the obvious...we love her and are all waiting to hear how everything is going....

yellowwing
06-20-06, 06:19 PM
So for my dumb question: What's BDR?

From USMC.mil MCO 1510.32D RECRUIT TRAINING (http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/82001916d226893285256d12004936dd/64fc029dfb9bc2af852568cc0060aa13/$FILE/MCO%201510.32D.pdf):
Basic Daily Routine (BDR).

Mama
06-20-06, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the link YellowWing:)

Very informative, I've bookmarked :)

Shadowman777
06-20-06, 07:35 PM
From USMC.mil MCO 1510.32D RECRUIT TRAINING (http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/82001916d226893285256d12004936dd/64fc029dfb9bc2af852568cc0060aa13/$FILE/MCO%201510.32D.pdf):
Basic Daily Routine (BDR).

LOL - thanks Wing. I didn't even know what "BDR" was!!

I was thinking:

Badly Dressed Recruit or Baffled & Distressed Recruit.

Wyoming
06-21-06, 06:42 AM

I was thinking Barracks Duties and Responsibilites.

Of course, what do I know? We were in Quonset Huts.

Mama
06-24-06, 07:36 AM
I got another letter!

She's still doing good, asked for addresses...adn told me to give her addy to anyone here who wants it...so just send me a PM if ya do...

She says she's enjoying her classes, and they start each day with a 3 mile run. Good thing she was up to 6 before she left LOL

Anyhow, I'm always tickled to hear from her :)

christine_06
06-24-06, 12:54 PM
I'm glad to hear she's doing good, i just sent her a letter a couple days ago.

Mama
06-24-06, 03:39 PM
Thanks Christine...

I know she'll appreciate that ... I know I do :D

christine_06
06-24-06, 05:38 PM
You're welcome Mama!

Shadowman777
06-24-06, 05:42 PM
I got another letter!

She's still doing good, asked for addresses...adn told me to give her addy to anyone here who wants it...so just send me a PM if ya do...

She says she's enjoying her classes, and they start each day with a 3 mile run. Good thing she was up to 6 before she left LOL

Anyhow, I'm always tickled to hear from her

Ah, the initial shock is over! Good - she is now in the sponge mode - just soaking everything in. Right now she is growing and changing at warp speed!

Awesome!!!

His_angel
06-24-06, 07:03 PM
Since I'll be in Milwaukee next week, I'll try to send her a post card from there. Then one from Arkansas the week after. I'll try to find some *interesting* post cards to send. ;)

Angel

Mama
06-24-06, 07:05 PM
Thanks Angel :)

Mama
06-29-06, 04:20 AM
GOt another letter...she's staying motivated and is incredibly tickled that so many from here are writing her. She says that thanks to y'all (no matter how hard I try) she's only gone one day with no mail at mail call...

Thanks!!!!!!

marinegreen
06-29-06, 05:18 AM
hows things going for her kat? she a sqd ldr or team ldr?The DI'S arent keeping track of all her letters and messing with her,I hear they do that.

Mama
06-29-06, 05:35 AM
I'm not really sure, she's not telling me a whole lot other than she's "having fun" and doing okay, few scrapes and bruises but nothing for me to worry about.
She's gonna make it through...I do know that but, I'm not sure who's the squad leader, team leader etc....I did ask in a letter a couple days ago...but she prolly won't get it until Friday??? as near as I can figure the snail mail lag.

I know she's tickled to have so many of her friends and mentors here writing her :) Keep it up :)

thanks

Shadowman777
06-29-06, 07:13 AM
I did ask in a letter a couple days ago...but she prolly won't get it until Friday??? as near as I can figure the snail mail lag

Sometimes there is a lag. I received one letter from my son where he asked why I wasn't writing any more, then the next day he received 5 of my letters at the same time. When they are in the field at boot - that happens. It will happen with Kaydra as well. It is what it is.

Whether Kaydra makes squad leader or guide is of no importance. That does not play into her career in the Corps. The fact that she is motivated at this stage is, and says she is taking the bull by the horns.

Keep writing her as much as you can. Even the dull stuff is something in boot camp. Hell - just the fact that there is a letter is huge!

Mama
06-30-06, 06:54 PM
WOW!!!

I gotta huge letter, I guess she wrote this one over the span of a couple of days.

She did survive the gas chamber, and she made it through the o course without help! I'm so proud of her...
She also says she's getting real biceps...I thought she had some when she left LOL

She's starting to adjust, and slowly learning to call PI home as well..and she says the sand fleas aren't that bad yet...at least they don't like her enough to bite her yet.

She got to see the Sgt that got her at the DI Demonstration and she also shared her b'day with another recruit there. She admits she's probably having more fun than she should be having ... but she's always thrived under a challenge...so...I guess it suits her...

Jim: to answer your question on the recruits wearing the USMC Poolee shirts: She shared her knowledge with them and during their layover in cincinnatti, they pooled their money and bought shirts.

I also have a list of recruits that aren't receiving any mail at all so if ya want a pen pal that needs support and moto...just send me a PM

yellowwing
07-01-06, 11:35 AM
she's always thrived under a challenge...
That's why she is at Parris Island instead of Ft Jackson! Oooh-rah :usmc:

Stanley Hroszow
07-05-06, 12:08 PM
I just saw some Recruits on TV, From The Island not shure who they were, on the Discovery Chanel

Shadowman777
07-05-06, 09:19 PM
She has done the gas chamber already?? Sheesh - we didn't that until 3rd Phase when I was in. Of course, I was in when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I called the gas chamber "DI Payback Day" - the day the DI's got some extra payback for troublesome recruits. I watched one recruit come out of the gas chamber (snot running from his nose to the ground), when his DI stopped him, asked him for his gas mask. The DI then took his gas mask, threw it back into the gas chamber and said, "Go get it." He did this 6 times to the same guy. LOL!

BTW - got a letter from Kaydra, and she appears to be doing great! You have a great girl there Mama - and we expect a pics of her online the same day she graduates!!!

God bless -

yellowwing
07-05-06, 09:24 PM
Of course, I was in when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Close with and Destroy all Raptors with fire an maneuver, or repel a T-Rex assault with fire and close combat! :banana:

Shadowman777
07-05-06, 09:41 PM
Close with and Destroy all Raptors with fire an maneuver, or repel a T-Rex assault with fire and close combat!

No can do. All we had were combat issue A-1 Rocks and A-14 Spears. Fortunately, the new cammie loin cloths were in issue, so we had a semblence of cover. The WM's complained, as they had the same issue loin cloth, but one whack on the head with your standard issue A-5 Club, and you had yourself a girlfriend.

At least that is how I remember it ... the good old days ...

Mama
07-06-06, 01:29 AM
LOL Well...pics will get put up online as soon as we make it back home...she graduates 1 Sept...So i'll try to have 'em up on the 3rd the day after we'll get back home :p

Gotta have some family time ya know :p

I'm glad she got to write to ya...and I'm glad to hear she's doing well...any word from her is a big boost for me :)

Mama
07-06-06, 01:33 AM
No can do. All we had were combat issue A-1 Rocks and A-14 Spears. Fortunately, the new cammie loin cloths were in issue, so we had a semblence of cover. The WM's complained, as they had the same issue loin cloth, but one whack on the head with your standard issue A-5 Club, and you had yourself a girlfriend.

At least that is how I remember it ... the good old days ...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Shadowman777
07-06-06, 06:50 AM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

LOL- now you are dating yourself. I am sure the kids today will have no idea what I am talking about!

Mama
07-06-06, 06:52 AM
ugh...well...I have to be somewhat dated....after all my daughter's nearly a Marine :p

Mama
07-10-06, 08:24 PM
Okay i heard from the girlie again today....finally!!!

She's doing okay and they did have a nice dinner of steak and shrimp on the 4th, some awesome fireworks...she said they make OG's look like crap and we have some dang nice fireworks shows!! They also got their choice of apple, cherry or pumpkin pie for dessert that day. So they did get a little celebration. She said they also got to hear the PI Band perform...she *really* enjoyed that...and it of course boosted PI to the top of her "wish list" heh...go figure...the girl's a band geek through and through...

Anyhow...the only disturbing thing in her letter was this...their "Kill Hat" disappeared literally overnight...she's been replaced by a Gunny...

But that leads me to question...what makes a DI disappear overnight in the middle of a class of recruits? Isn't that nearly unheard of?????????

Anyhow...other than that she says she has a couple of new scars (I dunno she didn't tell me details) and a few more bruises but she's fine otherwise...says she's still "having fun" G-d help me I've raised a psycho!!!

LOL!!!!

GySgtRet
07-10-06, 08:42 PM
I am glad to hear that your daughter is still doing do well. I have a problem with all of the good food that they got. Don't get me wrong the food wasn't that bad when I went through. But come on pie, fireworks,...??? WE would of had to make our own fireworks with are moonbeams I would suspect.

About the killer hat. The recruits may know alot but they don't know alot when it comes to the personal life of the Drill Instructors. It is possible that the killer hat needed to go on emerency leave those things do happen even to the Drill Instructors.

Mama
07-10-06, 11:11 PM
I was hoping it wasn't something horrible. DI's live pretty hard lives...get little sleep and keep driving recruits...even somewhat less than gung ho ones...

I just thought it was odd and disturbing...

Kaydra did say she missed her...something about not being called a "useless pos" anymore...heh

His_angel
07-10-06, 11:28 PM
Glad you heard from her. Got cards ready to send out tomorrow for her and another recruit.

Shrimp and steak?!?! Pie? Fireworks? Band? I don't remember ANY of that and I was there during the 4th. Maybe that's something new? Or maybe it depends on where you are in training?

Angel

LittleDevilDog
07-11-06, 07:11 AM
Sounds like she's doing good, Mama. Thanks for the update, tell her were all thinking of her.

Can't wait for her to bring that EGA home to you, and all of us at Leatherneck!

christine_06
07-11-06, 11:56 AM
i'm glad to hear she's doing good Mama.

Mama
07-13-06, 08:00 PM
Well got another letter today...she's had a week of LD though she didn't tell me why...but...she did have a DI all hyped cause she was flat out butt kickin' during the MCMAP tests...and proud she kicked 4029 butt heh...go figure
She also pass the swim qual on the first round so she is gonna try and go for another level...
and that's about all I know...the rest was stuff in general...and they're doing some more DI switcharoos...their SDI is going somewhere and one of hteir DI's is going upper deck to be a SDI...and she does like her new Kill Hat, Gunny..."she's really motivating!"
So all's well in PI at the moment...

JWG
07-13-06, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the latest update, Mama. Good to hear she's kickin butt!

Marine84
07-13-06, 09:25 PM
Wonder what the deal is with the switching of the DIs this far into it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

Mama
07-14-06, 04:59 AM
I dunno...but I did hear a rumor I'm not about to post....but I did fine verification for it ...heh I'm wondering if it's the same female DI....

yellowwing
07-14-06, 05:36 AM
bahh-Don't mind the rumors. It won't do Kaydra or you any good.

wsimkins
07-14-06, 07:07 AM
Boot Camp must've changed some in the past 24 years. I sure don't remember liking any of my Drill Instructors until after I graduated. :marine:

His_angel
07-14-06, 11:17 AM
I'm sure she can have time to tell you more when she's home on leave for a few days after boot.

Angel

AmyG
07-14-06, 01:19 PM
That's great to hear Kay is doing well. I only to have as much "fun." LOL. I just got a letter off to her the other day.

Papa
07-18-06, 03:40 PM
Kaydra sent word today:

She is looking forward to grass week. She told her mom to bring oreos for parents day.

Marine84
07-18-06, 03:45 PM
Well HEY PAPA!

Mama - tried to PM you (you might need to empty out your box cause it said you either chose not to receive or couldn't) anyway.................

Just wanted to let you know that I got the time off approved today for graduation - I'll see you and Papa there!

JWG
07-18-06, 03:46 PM
Great news, tell her to enjoy those Oreos for us!

Papa
07-18-06, 04:22 PM
That is good news Marine84. I'm looking forward to it!

I know Mama is frothing at the bit to see her daughter again.

Papa
07-21-06, 02:25 PM
We received another letter today.

Kaydra is headed out to the rifle range, they apparently left Saturday. She's excited to get to fire her rifle. She's positive she's going to shoot expert.

She says one of her drill instructors said "either you do or you don't"
Sounds like that one watched too much Star Wars to me, Yoda also said that!

Kaydra also says that her senior drill instructor is a very interesting person. She actually apologized for not having much time to write.

I rather thought she would be too busy to put pen to paper. She also asked for paper, pens, stamps, and ankle high socks. Do the socks have to be green or white?

JWG
07-21-06, 04:34 PM
Great news, Papa! Tell her we're all hoping for her to have nothing but 100% success over there, and all waiting for her glorious return to Leatherneck!

Tell her LittleDevilDog aka. JWG (now atleast) is being very Motivated from hearing about her journey at the Island, will you?

Thanks for the continued updates, Papa and Mama. Much appreciated.

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Papa
07-23-06, 02:40 AM
Mama told me to paste Kaydra's list of things she wants when she comes home. I guess this is where I am supposed to put it.

Pears*
Bananas*
Strawberries
Mint Oreos*
Reeses*
Snickers*
Peanut Butter M&M's*
Brownies*
Double chocolate cake
Peanut Butter Fudge*
Ranch and Nacho Cheese Doritos*
Nutter Butters*
Chocolate Milk*
Pancakes/Waffles
French Toast
Fruit Loops
Apple Jacks*
Powerade(Blue)*
Fiji Water

* denotes a must have

Places to eat:
Gojo's Steakhouse*
Salty Iguana*
Olive Garden
Golden Corral*
Wendy's (??????)
Bua Thai*

* denotes a must go

She did her PFT. She ran 3 miles in 23:17
"maxed out" on crunches
and went the max on her arm hang, I assume pull ups.

She said she enjoyed grass week and is confident she will do well on her firing week qualification.

Hello to everyone from Kaydra at PI

Papa
07-23-06, 02:42 AM
JWG:

Mama put your message in her letter to Kaydra last night.

I forgot to put that in the last post.

wsimkins
07-23-06, 06:58 AM
I'm sure she will enjoy the fruits. I remember when I got out of boot my cravings for junk food and snacks was extreme! We went to Myrtle Beach the day I graduated and I pigged out!

Only problem; I was so used to nutritional foods from PI that the junk food made me sick as a dog. :(

Tell her to take it easy on the sweets and stuff. It takes a while to get your system used to it.

Glad she is doing well. I'm always here to support our young Devil Dogs.

JWG
07-23-06, 10:16 AM
Main thing I like on that list, myself personally, would be the good 'ole Nacho's and Cheese.. :yes:

Looks like she is planning her arrival already, good to hear. She'll make a fine Marine!

----

JWG:

Mama put your message in her letter to Kaydra last night.

I forgot to put that in the last post.

Tell her I said, thank you! I appreciate it, very much, you two.

Motivated,

Mama
07-28-06, 04:04 AM
I got another letter:

She's doing really well, enjoyed grass week, got to meet her new SDI, which ironically is the same DI who "greeted" them on the bus.

She's swearing you don't know how much you love your rifle until you fire live rounds...she's in heaven and having a blast....almost literally LOL

She did say she was getting a lot of mail from her friends here on leatherneck, and while she doens't have time to write everyone she wants you *all* to know how much your support, moto and letters mean to her! She can't wait to log on when she gets home with her EGA.

Anyhow...I think that's about it...another than another order for stamps heh and pictures :D

Mama
08-04-06, 07:27 PM
WOW 2 letters in 2 days:yes:

First letter:
Messages for y'all:

JWG: RAH!!!

Friends on Leatherneck:
Hey y'all! Greetings from paradise! Things are great! A little over halfway though....See you all September 3rd!
Semper Fi!

She's added a few more things to her list that I'm supposed to cook for her while she's home...LOL Go figure...more food items...

She did hit a stumbling block, but from the tone of the 2nd letter today, it seems she's passed through it just fine and will graduate on time...at least it's really positive...so that's awesome...and everything is "you get a cookie" so yup..more food stuff LOL

Anyhow...just sharing...:flag:

teddyn
08-04-06, 07:37 PM
It's all that preparation by conversing on this site that has given her the edge, I'll bet :)

JWG
08-04-06, 08:00 PM
VERY MOTIVATING, MA'AM!

Glad things are pulling through, continued thoughts and prayers going out again tonight! Remember, keep me updated on that situation!

Motivated,

christine_06
08-05-06, 06:56 PM
I'm glad to hear she's doing good Mama.

Mama
08-05-06, 07:11 PM
Yup it's official she's passed her rifle qual....
She's graduating on time!!!!

Thanks y'all for your prayers and encouargement...it means worlds to all of us :)

JWG
08-05-06, 07:36 PM
Yup it's official she's passed her rifle qual....
She's graduating on time!!!!

Thanks y'all for your prayers and encouargement...it means worlds to all of us :)

Notta problem, Ma'am!

Just as glad for her, she did GREAT! Was with her in SPIRIT! MOTO!!

Motivated,

Mama
08-10-06, 03:23 AM
I got the graduation packet today :D

yup I'm a happy Mama :D

JWG
08-10-06, 07:10 AM
Good to hear, I'm sure you went through many -fill in the blank- Mama stages before the Happy one you are now.. but just know, you're a very soon-to-be Marine Mama!

MOTIVATED!

I got the graduation packet today :D

yup I'm a happy Mama :D

quillhill
08-10-06, 03:29 PM
Holy cow, Mama, it's just a few weeks away now, huh?

Your youngun is in the home stretch now...darn near a devil dog. I'll be sending out some more postcards in the next day or two. Hope all those young recruits are doing well in her platoon. Tell Kaydra I think of her daily bustin' her butt down there as the DIs mold her into a world-class fighter.

It keeps me moto in my own life.

Mama
08-10-06, 10:17 PM
You'll never guess what she sent me in today's letter....

yup ... you guessed right!

Her very first target...the first thing she shot her weapon at while at PI...
I have very specific instructions to hang it on the fridge...

I have to admit, it looks kinda funny next to Kira's crayola artwork...but it's awesome :D

Mama
08-10-06, 10:22 PM
Good to hear, I'm sure you went through many -fill in the blank- Mama stages before the Happy one you are now.. but just know, you're a very soon-to-be Marine Mama!

MOTIVATED!

Yup, I've run the gambit of every emotion I though possible, adn a few I don't even recognize ...
it's one hell of a roller coaster when your lil one's in boot...but so worth it...cuase underlying each emotional moment is that heart full of pride that your child has chosen to do soemthing positive with their life and not stay home, sponge off mom and dad, get hooked on drugs, or preggers or any number of things that can put a damper on a person's success...

yup...I'm a proud Mama...and happy as a clam with the present she sent me :D

Mama
08-11-06, 04:36 AM
quill

Thanks ...
still trying ot figure out something for our 13 recruits...

JWG
08-11-06, 05:52 AM
Yup, I've run the gambit of every emotion I though possible, adn a few I don't even recognize ...
it's one hell of a roller coaster when your lil one's in boot...but so worth it...cuase underlying each emotional moment is that heart full of pride that your child has chosen to do soemthing positive with their life and not stay home, sponge off mom and dad, get hooked on drugs, or preggers or any number of things that can put a damper on a person's success...

yup...I'm a proud Mama...and happy as a clam with the present she sent me :D

That's an awesome present for you, for sure, Ma'am. Good to hear!

God Bless You and Kaydra! :flag:

quillhill
08-11-06, 05:01 PM
quill

Thanks ...
still trying ot figure out something for our 13 recruits...

Me, too, me too. Where are our WMs? Jen, get in here and tell us what to give our recruits when they get their EGAs?

My hubby works at Walgreens, so I could get phone cards and any other practical items they may need for the next couple phases of training. And a few fun items, too, even the junk food (some stuff I can get at a discount, too!)

I need to get those girls graduation cards, too. One for Kaydra and my other two recruits.

And your gift was awesome. If Kaydra is anything like my brother in law was after he graduated from AF basic training, you will be showered with USMC gifts. :)

Camper51
08-11-06, 05:49 PM
Treat em like the matured adults they will be. Your baby is gone forever now.

The biggest gift you can give em is your love and support.

My parents gave me a hard sided briefcase, which today holds all of my papers from when I was in the Corps...

quillhill
08-11-06, 08:32 PM
Camper51, that's a really good idea, actually. Something to put their paperwork in! I know my brother is a disorganized punk. His wife couldn't find a copy of his orders anywhere in his stuff. Sigh.

Maybe, Mama, we give these girls some kind of notebook and hole punch to put all the paperwork in with orders, certificates, training stuff...

I can also send you a case of Oreos to take with you. LOL

Mama
08-11-06, 08:44 PM
LOL Okie dokie,
they have some pretty neat portfolio type things ...lemme see what I can find...adn how much...I'll add a case of doritos to the oreos you send and I know them girls will be happy :D

Mama
08-11-06, 10:33 PM
Okay....found these???
Is this like hwat you were thinking?
http://www.cssdeals.com/main.php?act=plist&bact=pdet&ofrm=nextag&pid=1524

Marine84
08-12-06, 06:22 AM
A target? They get to KEEP them? AND mail them home? Though I wouldn't have wanted to send mine home - it looked like I was shooting buckshot AND I kicked up dirt on a lot of recruits' heads - it doesn't even sound like they're shooting at the same thing either cause our targets were these BIG canvases that you had to patch the holes in and keep shooting at. What do they get to shoot at an indoor range or something?

Dang...........things have changed

Mama
08-12-06, 07:39 PM
these are a really heavy paper...nearly a canvas...but she folded it up adn sent it to me...not bad for being the first real weapon she's shot...a lil low...but not bad...

it's still outdoor and hot and sunny...don't worry it's not changed all that much...from the looks of the firing range, my guess it's the same hut that's always been there :D

Mama
08-15-06, 07:35 PM
I received another letter today :D

Kaydra is totally psyched for the crucible, and she swears that she had a blast doing the a-line and BWT!!
She did admit that she's probably having way too much fun for being in Recruit Training...but that also RT is what you make of it. It can be another challenge to learn and conquer or another day of hell to survive. She chooses the former!

Her Company starts their crucible at 0300 Wednesday they've added to the exercise, but she didn't tell me what, prolly doesn't know yet...

She's also added "apple jelly" to her list of stuffs to have when she gets home...

I leave for the Island in 13 days :D

JWG
08-15-06, 08:03 PM
13 weeks down to 13 days, Mama. Big leap.

God Bless you and Kaydra.. been a long haul for the two of you.. but looks like you're little baby is turning out to be the big Marine baby that you're going to be so proud of.

MOTO!!

Motivated,

Barret
08-15-06, 08:13 PM
Thirteen days until Paris Island..all this time has flown by for us here, but I'm sure it's been more like years for you,Mama. I'm positive you'll never have been so proud of your daughter when you see here on Graduation day.

His_angel
08-15-06, 09:22 PM
Sent off my last card to Kaydra and another recruit today. Hopefully they'll get them before they leave. Time just flew by didn't it? ;)

Angel

Mama
08-15-06, 11:22 PM
that it did...though I must admit I'm so close to leaving that time is slowing down again...

There are times it does feel like I haven't seen her forever, and I will never admit all the silly stuff I've done when I do get homesick to see her...that's my secret...
But, you boys...even if it's only a page...write your mom's every week...they'll need it...
and you'll need the support and love that comes back to you in letters
I can't wait to see her!
wooooooooot!!!!!

WannabeDevildog
08-16-06, 12:50 AM
I'm excited for you Mama. Let us know how she does on the Crucible (although I'm sure she'll be fine). 13 days. Man it seems like just yesterday when your daughter started this post. I bet it's seemed much longer for her!

Mama
08-22-06, 04:21 PM
Well folks here it is...the pic of my lil soon to be Marine as she enjoyed her Warrior's Breakfast :)

Thanks to Marine84 for her generosity :)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/Gwenyfur/Kaydra%20Senior%20PIcs/Training/DSC06712.jpg

yellowwing
08-22-06, 04:28 PM
Outstanding! She looks tired but proud, Nice tan too:thumbup:

jinelson
08-22-06, 04:35 PM
ha ha well it wont be long at all and we got us a new sis. I bet we have one proud mama on deck.

:)

Mama
08-22-06, 04:46 PM
ohhh Jim...just "proud" doesn't seem to fit....seems somehow to be an understatement....:D

heck yeah...:yes: I'm PROUD:yes:

Mama
08-22-06, 04:49 PM
PS...anyone besides me notice she passed on teh steak and eggs and went for the sweet cinnamon roll?

LOL

Guess the sweet tooth won out ROFL

Kildars
08-22-06, 06:03 PM
This is amazing, I wish I had a mother that was this dedicated to seeing me make it if I ever do go to MCRD. She must be proud to have a mother like and you must be even more PROUD to have a soon to be Marine in your family. Good luck, and thank you for supporting your daughter in her decision.

quillhill
08-22-06, 06:18 PM
Holy crap. Mama! That is awesome! She looks good in those utilities. Like she was meant to wear 'em.

Woot!

Now I know getting the double stuff oreos was a good choice. ;)

JWG
08-22-06, 06:59 PM
GOD BLESS 'ER, MAMA!

Looks tired as hell, but you can just look right through that to the smell of sweet VICTORY!

SISTER COMING TO THE CORPS RANKS, SO VERY SOON, can't even imagine her emotions, nor yours, Mama!

So good to see!

MOTIVATED,

Mama
08-24-06, 06:53 PM
Yup she made it through the crucible. She did say she learned a lot, and her new DI...the one she got a few weeks ago...finally earned her respect for more than just being her DI...which is good...cause up until now Kaydra's not really like her all that much...so all's good :)

She turned her ankle a few too many times out there, and she's been put on Light Duty for 3 days and started Physical Therapy for it on Monday. She's relieved she's not going to miss final drill.

She also told me about her huge breakfast...OMG I have no clue where she put all that food!
ham n cheese omlette
sausage
bacon
cinnamon roll (yeah...we knew that one)
cream cheese muffin
cereal
pear (saw them too)
chocolate milk
2 cookies
1 cookie bar
3 pb&j sammiches
pancakes
strawberry yogurt
mor sausage and
a 1/2 glass of coke!
she said it'd been so long since she drank anything carbonated that it burned the whole way down LOL

She did mention she scraped up her hands when she got caught in the barbed razor wire, but that they weren't bad or infected or anything (remember that gangreene thing from the Tips thread LOL) and she said it was challenging adn tough, but not as bad as she'd been expecting. Guess taht training pays off ;)

That's about it from her 3 letters, teh rest is all stuff about home, family and her little sister....For some reason she doesn't think I'll bring Kira despite reassurances that missing 3 days of school won't kill her LOL She's going!!!

And to think....before she left she thought her little sister was a pita....a cute pita...but a pita...LOL

WannabeDevildog
08-25-06, 01:09 AM
Hey after living off MRE's for 54 hours, I'd be chowing down too!! Tell her congrats from all of us back here.

Mama
08-27-06, 10:25 PM
wooo hooo 33 hours until we leave for PI

Kaydra called today and we got to talk for 10 minutes!!! It was so good to hear her voice. I really missed her sound.

I can't wait to see her Thursday and I hope the forcast changes for down there...cause Ernesto seems to be making it rain all week down there...

So anyhow...
WE're nearly off to see the Marine :D

AThames
08-27-06, 10:44 PM
Awww man it seems like just last week was my Liberty Sunday, wait a minute last week was my Liberty Sunday. I pray for you to have a safe trip Mama and an enjoyable Family Day. It rained on mine but the plus was that The Island flooded and I was stuck in the Subway/Bowling Alley with my family even after we were supposed to be in the squad bay. Take lots of pictures.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-27-06, 10:53 PM
Wekcine gine AThanes and congrats,

JWG
08-28-06, 05:34 AM
Mama,

You have no idea how happy I am for you, smiling as I post this very message.

Yes, do take LOTS of pictures, will be good to see.

--

AThames,

Again, CONGRATULATIONS, my friend!

yellowwing
08-28-06, 08:51 PM
I can't wait to see her Thursday and I hope the forcast changes for down there...cause Ernesto seems to be making it rain all week down there...
Latest projection shows Ernesto making land fall again really close to Parris Island on Thursday afternoon. :mad:

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ernesto-8-28.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/001430.shtml?3day)
click image for the latest

Kildars
08-28-06, 09:41 PM
Latest projection shows Ernesto making land fall again really close to Parris Island on Thursday afternoon. :mad:

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ernesto-8-28.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/001430.shtml?3day)
click image for the latest

If a serious hurricane did hit Parris Island would bootcamp go on as normal, or it would it shut down pushing back graduation dates?

Mama
08-28-06, 11:21 PM
According to what I've read they actually move graduation up...
Which means they may skip the moto run and just have graduation Thursday morning to get at least some of hte Marines off the Island...

Dunno though the information line hasn't been updated since Ophelia go figure...
So we're off...either way we aren't leaving that Island without my Marine :D

J-Ro
08-29-06, 01:56 AM
According to what I've read they actually move graduation up...
Which means they may skip the moto run and just have graduation Thursday morning to get at least some of hte Marines off the Island...

Dunno though the information line hasn't been updated since Ophelia go figure...
So we're off...either way we aren't leaving that Island without my Marine :D

they might skip the moto run "wtf" :( that's too bad for those brand new Marines...

His_angel
08-30-06, 05:44 PM
I've talked with Mama a few times already. Spoke to her yesterday morning and she had been on the road a few hours but was not yet out of Missery ... err .. Missouri.

Talked to her this morning. She'd met up with Kaydra's Dad and they drove all night. Spoke with Kira also. She's a little chatter box and excited about seeing her sister. They were on I-95 in South Carolina just getting ready to make their exit towards Beaufort. Didn't take long after they turned off 95 for her cell phone to lose the signal.

We spoke again just a few minutes ago. They are checked into the hotel. Mama took a nap for a couple of hours. They went out to find somewhere to eat lunch then a visit to the PX. Afterwards she got to see Kaydra and her platoon doing some drill. Mama took pictures. Kaydra saw them and gave a big grin. Mama tried not to cry. Mama tried to point our Kaydra to Kira but was unsuccessful.

Now they're on their way to meet up with Mama's Dad. There was some confusion about where he was staying. He doesn't have a cell phone and Mama doesn't think he has her cell phone number.

The WiFi is out in Mama's hotel room. The other internet connection doesn't work either. So for now she's without internet. She'd hoped to upload some pictures and get online tonight but doesn't think that will happen now. She's real excited about seeing her Dad tonight, seeing Kaydra today, the motivational run tomorrow, spending some time with Kaydra and seeing graduation on Friday.

Quillhill: Mama wanted me to let you know that the Oreo's were not there. She's wondering if she needs to go out and buy some?

Okay. That's the update from everything I can remember/think of at the moment. Mama, Kira and Kaydra's Dad all made it to SC safely. Everyone is excited, happy and tired.

Angel

quillhill
08-30-06, 06:23 PM
Oreos should be there, tomorrow, His_Angel. She can shoot me an e-mail to quillhill@comcast.net. Oh, let her know that the pens and the cards will be in a separate envelope.

I will double check the tracking on the cookies when I get home from work. Oh, that e-mail goes straight to my Blackberry. :)

Can't wait to hear more updates! I assume, then, that the graduation ceremony is still planned for Friday and has not yet been moved up to tomorrow morning?

JWG
08-31-06, 05:30 AM
Thank you for the update, Ma'am. Much appreciated! :beer:

I've talked with Mama a few times already. Spoke to her yesterday morning and she had been on the road a few hours but was not yet out of Missery ... err .. Missouri.

Talked to her this morning. She'd met up with Kaydra's Dad and they drove all night. Spoke with Kira also. She's a little chatter box and excited about seeing her sister. They were on I-95 in South Carolina just getting ready to make their exit towards Beaufort. Didn't take long after they turned off 95 for her cell phone to lose the signal.

We spoke again just a few minutes ago. They are checked into the hotel. Mama took a nap for a couple of hours. They went out to find somewhere to eat lunch then a visit to the PX. Afterwards she got to see Kaydra and her platoon doing some drill. Mama took pictures. Kaydra saw them and gave a big grin. Mama tried not to cry. Mama tried to point our Kaydra to Kira but was unsuccessful.

Now they're on their way to meet up with Mama's Dad. There was some confusion about where he was staying. He doesn't have a cell phone and Mama doesn't think he has her cell phone number.

The WiFi is out in Mama's hotel room. The other internet connection doesn't work either. So for now she's without internet. She'd hoped to upload some pictures and get online tonight but doesn't think that will happen now. She's real excited about seeing her Dad tonight, seeing Kaydra today, the motivational run tomorrow, spending some time with Kaydra and seeing graduation on Friday.

Quillhill: Mama wanted me to let you know that the Oreo's were not there. She's wondering if she needs to go out and buy some?

Okay. That's the update from everything I can remember/think of at the moment. Mama, Kira and Kaydra's Dad all made it to SC safely. Everyone is excited, happy and tired.

Angel

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-31-06, 11:08 AM
With Ernesto being a tropical storm and not a Hurricane, the festivities for tomorrow should be taken care of. I know they had a plan for rain at the last PI graduation I went to. So, we should have a new group of brother's and sister's by this time tomorrow, and one of them is one of our very own. Can't get better than that. Almost makes me wish I could be marching in the parade tomorrow. Of course, I don't think I'd be too willing to go through boot camp a second time to get to that moment. Once was enough.

devildoghopeful
08-31-06, 11:41 AM
Lol, I bet it was. It's going to be great to hear Kaydra's boot-camp stories!

His_angel
08-31-06, 05:52 PM
Talked to Mama again. She called at 0630 this morning. :call: Though I was just getting to sleep good. So I don't remember much. Seems she was up a lot earlier than myself!!

Mama and Kira did meet up with Mama's Dad for dinner last night. They shared stories and pictures. Was a wonderful time had by all. She was looking forward to spending some time with Kaydra today.

It began to rain and she took cover under some bleachers. She had to get off the phone though because of the rain and worries of the rain messng up her phone.

She still doesn't have access to the internet. I'll try to update again when I talk to her next.

QuillHill: She said "thanks" and she'll make sure the folks at the hotel front desk are on the lookout for it.

Angel

JWG
08-31-06, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update, again, Ma'am.

Just hope the Graduation works out well, with this weather mess on the way.

God Bless ya'll!

His_angel
09-01-06, 01:56 PM
It's official. Called this morning. Graduation ceremony was over and they were trying to get everything to the car. I got to congratulate Kaydra. I'm sure they're trying to get back home as soon as possible.

quillhill
09-01-06, 02:25 PM
Is Kaydra a Pvt or a Pfc?

Can't wait to see the pics of the newest Marine. Boy, how time flies. :)

jinelson
09-01-06, 02:39 PM
I checked and we also have a new Marine born at MCRD San Diego Jimmyk graduated at 1130 PDT today. The best part of being a a Leatherneck.com Squad Leader is watching young wannabes grow to be Poolee's then earning the greatest title in the world, a United States Marine. A more rewarding or fullfilling task I could never ask for. OORAH!! Marines you have made me proud.

Semper Fidelis

Jim :marine:

His_angel
09-01-06, 02:42 PM
Kaydra is a PFC. Mama says she's been snacking the whole time. Really enjoyed a milkshake at Applebee's. Got to talk to Mama for about 2 minutes. But they're on the road and the signal seemed to have been lost.

Oh. Some of them "disappeared" before Mama could get pictures of everyone. And a couple didn't get their packages that Mama had put together.

JWG
09-01-06, 04:30 PM
Congratulations, Marines! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Marine84
09-01-06, 07:02 PM
The ceremony was AWESOME ya'll!

PFC MICHAEL - change your status and high tail it to the Marine Only Forum Duty Hut and check in in.........3........................2............. .........YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE ALREADY!

WELCOME HOME MARINE!

J-Ro
09-01-06, 10:40 PM
PFC Micheal Congratulations! Marine

Semper Fi

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
~Unknown<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

teddyn
09-01-06, 11:55 PM
Grats :D
Feel free to look down on us undisciplined, lazy, puny civilians :p

Mama
09-02-06, 05:54 AM
The rehearsal was amazing! My first true sight of her in 3 months...and she looks amazing!!!

The changes in her are stunning...though I will admit I think she grew about 3 or 4 inches while there...she stands so straight and tall and just WOW! All those years of nagging about her posture and those DI's make it awesome in 3 months!! ROFL

The moto run was a bit soggie, but it was awesome...those 2 platoons of young women out sounded those 5 platoons of guys! ... Who says guys are louder???? Not I!

They had the EGA ceremony indoors in the all weather training facility. That's where I cried! Only cause I knew that at that moment she was a Marine, she'd earned that precious symbol...and of course, seeing the tears in her eyes ...

Graduation was on the Peatross Parade Deck, and they were amazing. I took lots of pics of all the platoons as well as the PI Band...I *knew* she'd want them. I tried to get lots of pics of her, but she was way in the back and I couldn't see past the hats in front of her LOL...but I knew exactly where she was in there so I did get the top of her cover ;)

They drilled and marched so well! Sergeant Major Estrada was at her graduation yesterday. And Hummer the PI Mascot is adorable!!!!

I'll get the pics uploaded to the photobucket when we get home and post the link...we had tons of fun playing tourist on the Island, and Kaydra enjoyed the scenery on the way off the Island....she'd come through at night and hadn't really seen the marshlands from the causeway....
Truly a beautiful place :)

Thanks again y'all for everything you've done

The girls loved their gifts ... especially the cookies :D

thedrifter
09-02-06, 06:29 AM
Congratilations Marine!

Ellie

KMichael
09-02-06, 07:02 AM
Thank you all for the support... And the cookies Mama... ^^

JWG
09-02-06, 08:29 AM

Kaydra!!!

MARINE, how are you, PFC!?!?

Was praying for you nightly when the "possible" problem arrived with the rifle qualifier, but kept you in thoughts and prayers, and I like to think we all helped in SPIRIT!

God Bless you, Kaydra! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Motivated,

devildoghopeful
09-02-06, 09:10 AM
Yeah, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK HERE AS A MARINE!

As you can probably see, this thread has been the most popular one for posting on the Poolee forum, everyone here has been rooting for you, especially these last few weeks.

WELCOME BACK MARINE!

Alex

:iwo:

Achped
09-02-06, 12:30 PM
Marine, I hope you know how proud we all are of you and how lucky you are to have a family that supports you as much as they do.

Enjoy your ten days, just hope Mama doesn't walk in your room with a trash can one morning pretending to be a DI :)

tntmondy
09-02-06, 08:38 PM
Congrats

quillhill
09-02-06, 09:19 PM
Pfc. Michael, congratulations and welcome back, Marine.
Enjoy the oreos. Let me know if you need any other junk food while you're at MCT, MOS school or wherever. :)

Enjoy your leave, your freedom. Heh. You have most definitely earned it, missy.

WannabeDevildog
09-02-06, 11:16 PM
Congratulations MARINE!!!

GySgtRet
09-03-06, 03:25 PM
Welcome Aboard Marine. From what I have read you have changed a little bit. When you get the chance tell us all about it. I was down your way at Parris Island and spoke to some Drill Instructors about your series and the graduation. It turns out that one of the Drill Instructors that I had spoken to his better half was one of your Drill Instructors, yeah its a amily affair to the max. He reflected that your platoon went through a lot of changes according to his wife. And that you were a very good platoon. I will let you guess which one since you and the rest of your platoon have bragging rights. I was going to try and find you in fact I went to 4th RTC abd well, I just thought that may 5th when I got thereinterfere with your training and I didn't want to do that. I was there on 24 August to take a look around. I sill be 33 years for me on October the 5th when I got there and I still don't recognize for many things.

Semper Fidelis:banana: :yes:

Marine84
09-03-06, 05:10 PM
Gunny, you should have seen them! It sure was motivation for this old heart!

GySgtRet
09-03-06, 07:27 PM
You probably dreuled all over the place...!!! LOL

Have banana...LOL :banana:

Mama
09-03-06, 08:52 PM

Thank quillhill for the cookies and pens sweetie :)

and you're welcome...Words will never be enough to convey how proud I am of you :angel:

Mama
09-03-06, 08:57 PM
Marine, I hope you know how proud we all are of you and how lucky you are to have a family that supports you as much as they do.

Enjoy your ten days, just hope Mama doesn't walk in your room with a trash can one morning pretending to be a DI :)

Nahhh...no trash can needed....just turn on the lights and watch her snap to Attention:angel:

Mama
09-03-06, 09:01 PM
You probably dreuled all over the place...!!! LOL

Have banana...LOL :banana:

She wasn't the only one drooling!!!

Oh my!

I've been married so long I thought I was nearly dead until down there....my my my....phew!:!:

Marine84
09-04-06, 10:52 AM
Yeah boy....................:banana: :)