PDA

View Full Version : Joining with physical disability...

EniramNocer
06-03-06, 11:09 PM
As the title states, I'm wondering what is the extent that the Corps, or any other parts of the military, will accept and sign on those with a disability? That's one question. The second is more specific:

Is it possible for a paraplegic to join, or work side-by-side with the Corps? I know there are always certain circumstances where, because of the current situation, some laws are bypassed. I don't know if it could happen, but one possible example could be that the individual is so intelligent in a current field that that particular branch needs, and waves him/her in to fulfill that position.

Is that possible? Are there any written laws within the military that alludes to such a possibility?

I’m currently going through some books that I’m reading at Books A Million, but thought I’d write here in hopes that someone can help out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-03-06, 11:49 PM
Part of the military includes physical capabilities. That being the case, I do not see how anyone with such a severe medical problem could serve in the military. In the Marine Corps in particular, every Marine is a rifleman first. No amount of knowledge in a given field can change that simple rule, and such a disability would prevent a person from being able to act as a rifleman.

As for working as a civillian with the Marine Corps, I am sure that could be done. I came into contact with many civillian workers that were experts in their field. I believe these people were hired by the equipment manufacturers, and not the Marine Corps, but they were still around. With a great knowledge in a particular area, I do not see why you could not fill one of those jobs.