PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Hitchan10
06-03-06, 08:37 PM
Im currently 14 years old and since 1st grade i wanted to be a marine. But when i was little i had asthma. I currently stay very physically fit, i play ice hockey and go weight lifting. I havnt had an asthma attack since 3rd grade. My doctor said i might have "grown out of it". would i be able to be a marine still?

SmokeyBandit
06-03-06, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine as long as your doctor says your good to go. I've heard people get turned down for having one asthma attack in their life and I've heard others who have asthma get in with no problem.

Here's another topic with simular information

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29146

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-03-06, 11:38 PM
When was the last time you had problems with your asthma? If it was before age 12, I don't think you will have much of a problem. If it is more recent, you may have to take some tests and get cleared by the docs.

The Sandman
06-04-06, 01:38 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=25762

devildoghopeful
06-04-06, 04:19 AM
Hitchan10, I myself have had similar worries to you as well as a couple of other Poolees on this site and the big discussion is on the thread 'Breathing'. As I have the same sort of problem as you, I found out all I could about joining the Corps with a history of asthma and here are my conclusions so far.

1. If you have had an attack after 12yrs old then it immediately DQs you from joining (like Echo Four Bravo said).

2. If you have needed an inhaler recently due to physicall stress (e.g. heavy excesise) then chances are you'll be turned down.

3. This is just an impression I have recieved, NOT solid fact. It depends on your recruiter. Sometimes I think that a recruiter will go through hell or high water to get you in, whereas others might be totally turned off that you've had asthma at any point and will reject you (I'm not sure why, maybe its a whole load more paperwork?).

4. If you go and get a spyrograph (a scan of your lungs) twice a year, once in winter and once in summer every year from now until you try to join the Corps, you can almost definitavely prove that you have grown out of asthma (if you have), and everything should be fine.

I know that if being a Marine is all you want to do and you have something that could jeapordise that, it's not fun.

Best of Luck!

Alex

Marine0313
06-04-06, 09:45 AM
As long as the last asthma attack was before the age of 12 its considered childhood asthma and you will be fine

Sixguns
06-07-06, 03:02 PM
You may be qualified for enlistment. If there is a question about your asthma you will need to supply the MEPS doctor with records, etc. There is a chance that you may be sent out for a consultation with another doctor outside of MEPS and perhaps do a PFT (not the physical fitness test, Pulmonary Functions Test). Given your active participation in other sports and events, you may be OK. There is still a possibility you may need a waiver.

hockeymonk
04-27-08, 08:36 PM
hey everyone, im 17 and have wanted to be a marine all my life, I have a military family but unfortunatley a few things are standing in my way of walking in their shoes. I have asthma but have never had an attack or any problem with it ever. I can run a 7:00 flat mile and meet the physical requirements.

If anyone can help thatd be great. Oh, and ive heard things about lying about having asthma but does that mean you dont tell your recruiter?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-27-08, 08:42 PM
You need to start with reading the rules.

You need to fill out your profile.
You always capitalize Marine.

Whitey
04-28-08, 03:32 PM
i know a lot of guys who hid their asthma but im certainly not recommending this

Motorola07
05-21-08, 02:15 PM
If you have good insurance. Go take a pulmonary test, tell the doctor you want to take a stress test on the lungs, they will enduce you with an asthma attack, and it will messure it. if it takes a long time for an attack, then either you dont have asthma, or you have a very mild attack