PDA

View Full Version : Didn't get to Nam

Jim Reynolds
12-19-02, 06:09 PM
You old grunts might not believe this, but its true. Back in '65 I was a gung-ho kid a year out of high school looking for some adventure, and holding a draft notice in my hand. I went to see the Marine Recruiter and he told me not to worry, he would take
care of everything, sign here kid!
January '66, Parris Island. I never knew it got that cold in South Carolina. Camp Geiger for ITR. The most miserable place I was ever at. Supply school at Montford Point. 2nd most miserable.
Orders to Kaneohe Bay MCAS. Number frigging 1!!
I knew there was a war going on because all by buds were going.Went to see the 1st Sgt. and he said "Don't worry kid, it won't be over before you get there".
2 years later, I get orders for Philadelphia, PA. By this time I've only got 4 months left on my enlistment. No Nam for me.
For the last 33 years I've carried a lot of guilt around, Why not me?
Well guys, I wasn't a grunt and I didn't get to Nam, but I served my country and was a good Marine. Does anybody else out there
have a similar story?:marine:

Sparrowhawk
12-19-02, 07:09 PM
You were one of the fortunate ones.

Some got to Nam, and sat on a hill watching the fireworks on the rice paddie fields and in the distance below them and never got a chance to pop off a cap.

Don't know which would be worst, to have gone there and not been able to fire back, like we were all trained to do, or not to have gone at all.

Funny, the pilots that gave me the 38 cal pistol, at Chu lai said they envied me, because at least i got to see the enemy, and fire back at them, they felt bad because they "just" dropped their load and never saw the enemy below like we did, up front and personal.
Yet, I remember seeing the enemy's tracer going up at them as they came in and pulled out. Don't know if I would ahve wanted to do their job.

we all did what we were trained to do. But if you continue to feel bad, you'll have to buy me a Bud if we ever meet.

Sempers

Cook

firstsgtmike
12-19-02, 07:21 PM
Jim,

Shvtcan the guilt. Not everyone gets selected for the choice duty stations, (i.e. Vietnam), somebody has to get the short end of the stick, (i.e. barracks duty).

Guilt is for those who tried to avoid, and forced someone else to take their place.

Guilt is NOT for those who did the job they were called upon to do.

Only the bride knows for sure who the best man REALLY is.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

wrbones
12-19-02, 07:41 PM
Didn't have much goin' on when I was in. I wonder about things sometimes, but the only real question I ask myself? "Could I have done a better job at what I did?" Yep. I figure I could have....looking back. But I did do the best I knew how at the time.

Had buddies go to places like Beiruit and Tehran and such. One my 'number' never came up. The other was a much smaller operation. They came around looking for volunteers. I thought I'd end up watching someone clean the hangar deck or some ****, so I didn't say a word. Guy from our shop went. He wasn't the best we had. I sometimes wonder about that, too. But that's the way things worked out.

Ya can't change the past. You can only address the future. If ya doin' the best ya know how, that's all ya can do.

Like I tell the kids around here. The Corps puts ya where they need ya. Not always where ya want to go.

JRtheSTAR
12-19-02, 08:24 PM
No need to feel guilt. You do your job and thats all anybody can ask of you. If you feel bad about it, all I can say is you would feel much worse in the Nam. I think Sparrowhawk, firstsgtmike and wrbones said it right.

I also drink Bud

NamGrunt68
12-20-02, 04:23 AM
It ain't no thang bro.....No reason at all for you to feel guilty about not servin in the Nam. You were a Marine. You followed your orders and served where the Corps told you too. Your as much a Marine as anybody. Drop the guilt. There's a Marine by the name of Lee Coddins that heads up a Rolling Thunder chapter in New Jersey I think. He hangs with Nam Vets. He wears alot of Nam Patches and he honors his fallen bros every year twice a year at the Wall. Every Marine I know that knows him thinks he's a damn standup Marine. He ain't never claimed to be a Nam Vet so he ain't no Wannabe. He served his Country by doing what he was told to do. Have some fun bro. You ain't got nuttin to feel guilty about ....

MillRatUSMC
12-20-02, 07:04 AM
No reason to feel guilt, when one did what one was ordered to do.
The 2nd Marine Divison and elements of the 1st Marine Brigade had to cover for the 1st and 3rd Marine Divisions that were serving in Vietnam.
So many didn't see Vietnam, but they did what was ordered by the Marine Corps
So there's no need to feel quilt.
I drink diet rite!

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

jerry wozny
12-20-02, 07:43 AM
Hey Marine, there is no reason to feel guilty. You were chosen to stay here and protect out loved ones if needed. I have just as much respect for you as I do any one that served in the "Nam". Keep your chin up and be proud, Marines have nothing to feel guilty about.

Semper Fi

firstsgtmike
12-20-02, 07:57 AM
Jim.

Read these, and take it home.

Semper Fi

mardet65
12-20-02, 09:23 AM
Jim:
Let the guilt go! I know exactly how you feel. For many years I felt guilty about being assigned to a carrier off the coast of Vietnam at a time when my brothers were in-country bleeding and dying. I felt like a charlatan wearing the same ribbons and medals they earned through deprevation of the refinements of life that we aboard the carriers took for granted. When anyone asked "were you in Vietnam", I always went into a long explination of what I actually did so I'd not be accused of stealing the glory of fellow Marines. However, as time progressed I came to realize it was just fate that intervened. I enlisted as an 0300 and could just as easily ended up in-country, if my DI hadn't picked me for Sea duty simply because I was six-foot two and fit the IQ requirement. Hell, I wanted to be JOHN WAYNE in the Sands of Iwo Jima. But it was not to be and today I tell my sea-stories and display my ribbons and medals like anyother vet. I'm as proud of my contributions to the war effort as any ground pounding Mud Marine, and most of the vets I know agree with me. So drop the guilt and Semper-Fi.

Riven37
12-20-02, 09:27 AM
:marine:

vance
12-20-02, 11:10 AM
Jim ,

All good advice !

You did your duty , no need to carry a load around .

Semper Fi & Merry Christmas

thedrifter
12-20-02, 04:01 PM
Hi Jim,

You went when your country called. You became a Marine. You followed your orders and did what was asked of you........Not all of us Marines got to serve in Nam...........I was in Oki and volunteered to go.............We all did what was asked..........So no need to feel guilty..........

I was stationed in K-Bay also, 1963 to 1965, best duty I ever had.........LOL.........After I left Nam in 69 was stationed at MCSA, Philly, always nice to be stationed at home.........LOL

You have every right to be Proud, you are a Marine and still are.......According to the CMC, we are all now called Veteran Marines..........

Welcome Home and to the best Marine site on the net...........

Sempers,

Roger,

PS: Philly is still a great city and still my home.........

virwar
12-20-02, 06:07 PM
Jim, No need to feel guilty. Your country called, you answered just like the rest of us. Walk with your head high and sleep well my faithful brother. Oh yeah, I'll take a Dr Pepper. Semper Fi MARINE !!!
Dave

speakeasy
12-20-02, 07:50 PM
Jim you should be proud you servied duing a time when it was not cool to be in the miltary. the war wasn't popular .Those who were in the service got spit on in public places and called demeining names. They often lost friends because of there service. Remember Jim when those Marines returned home and reported to there new duty station you were the one who replaced worn and unservicable uniforms.

USMC0311
12-20-02, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jim Reynolds
You old grunts might not believe this, but its true. Back in '65 I was a gung-ho kid a year out of high school looking for some adventure, and holding a draft notice in my hand. I went to see the Marine Recruiter and he told me not to worry, he would take
care of everything, sign here kid!
January '66, Parris Island. I never knew it got that cold in South Carolina. Camp Geiger for ITR. The most miserable place I was ever at. Supply school at Montford Point. 2nd most miserable.
Orders to Kaneohe Bay MCAS. Number frigging 1!!
I knew there was a war going on because all by buds were going.Went to see the 1st Sgt. and he said "Don't worry kid, it won't be over before you get there".
2 years later, I get orders for Philadelphia, PA. By this time I've only got 4 months left on my enlistment. No Nam for me.
For the last 33 years I've carried a lot of guilt around, Why not me?
Well guys, I wasn't a grunt and I didn't get to Nam, but I served my country and was a good Marine. Does anybody else out there
have a similar story?:marine:

I didn't know that there was a Draft in 65. I was 17, 8th grade, Joined the Corps 10 March 65. volunteered for vietnam and went.
ALL the Marines I was with were enlistees. It is strange that you got drafted in 65 and didn't get to go to Vietnam when you asked for it.
All of the 4 year enlistment Marines I knew were guaranteed Vietnam twice in their tour unless they was too ****ed-up to go back.
You lucked out or something like that.

MillRatUSMC
12-20-02, 08:47 PM
Hey, Drifter, where on K-Bay were you stationed?
I was in 2nd Plt. Bravo Co 3rd Recon Bn on K-Bay 1962-1965.
Went to Nam, via Okinawa, where the line companies saw a need for NCO's, that how I got assigned to India Co 3rd Bn 4th Marines.
Rotated back Conus in early June because my tour would have finished, if we were still on K-Bay.
It was a shock to me.
At that time we were on top of a hill with all these bunkers and connecting tunnels.
The chopters could land on top of that hill.
They would place a wheel on a small platform and you had to jump off or on if you were going out as I and several other Marines did that day.
Back state side I was assigned to the Edson Rifle Range for a year.
I was trained there to work as a PMI or Primary Marksmanship Instuctor.
On or about August of 1966, I recieved orders back to Nam for another 13 months.
When I arrived in Nam the second time, I was first assigned to be a troop handler in the transit faculity.
Then I got orders to report to Golf 2/1 for about 10 months.
So I served a total of 17 months in Nam, 14 of those were in line companies of grunts.

It's a small world, you too might have been on the Vancouver with Chick and I.
But we didn't know each other than.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

thedrifter
12-20-02, 09:32 PM
Ricardo I was with Ground Electronic Maintenance, Hdqts and Hdqts Sgdn. We were part of the Air Station.........We repaired all the Crash Crew Radios, the MP radios, all the teletypes, the radar on the crash boats and had a bunch of electronic equipement in Kansas Tower. We also use to run around the station with our sound truck, a 1 1/2 ton van with 4 speakers on top. Our bldg was called the transmitter bldg(501), had radio towers around it, right on the golf course.........LOL

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
12-20-02, 09:56 PM
Played that golf course a couple of times, great golf course.
Especially that 13 hole...Pacific Ocean was the left boundry.
I just killed some snakes, was just a duffer among those pro's from California.
Remember that tower.
I used to run in those roads in those swamps, to stay in shape for all that PT in Recon.

Semper Fidelis and thanks for awaking some memories
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
12-20-02, 10:10 PM
Made that the right boundry...don't know my right from my left...story of my life...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
12-20-02, 10:18 PM
I might even have the wrong hole could have been the 15th, 16th or 17th hole.
I remember using a 1 Iron on that hole.
Many a golf ball landed in the drink.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

montana
12-20-02, 11:01 PM
hey...i wouldnt wish a tour in dem rice paddys on anyone...and most of all on a bro,....hell i was there and feel guilty fer comeing home and leaving my bros. there
go figure

mardet65
12-21-02, 09:23 AM
Hey USMC0311:
Did you go through PI? If so what platoon?
I enlisted March 19, 1965 and went through PI, Plt 318.

USMC0311
12-21-02, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mardet65
Hey USMC0311:
Did you go through PI? If so what platoon?
I enlisted March 19, 1965 and went through PI, Plt 318.

Welcome Home Brother.

I did San Diego 9Mar65, Plts 319 and 321

was part of the 3rd FMF that went over with the 7th Naval Fleet, who was ya with in Division?

Semper Fidelis, Marine

mardet65
12-22-02, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by USMC0311

Welcome Home Brother.

was part of the 3rd FMF that went over with the 7th Naval Fleet, who was ya with in Division?

Semper Fidelis, Marine
After two tours off the Vietnam coast with Marine detachment USS Enterprise, I went to 2bn 8 Marines, F Co. at Lejeune. After about two months (Dec '67) we deployed aboard USS Sandoval for a two week trip to Gitmo where I stayed with 2/8 for two tours of 5 months each. I left Gitmo in the summer of '68 and went back to Lejeune as a Desk Sgt with 2MarDiv Military Police Company and finished up my 4 year enlistment on 10 March '69.

Jim Reynolds
12-23-02, 05:34 PM
To USMC0311: clarification
I was not drafted into the Marines, I was about to be drafted into the army when I enlisted. At that time (Nov. '65) the Corps had two, three, and four year enlistments. I opted for 3 years. I arrived at PI Jan.17,1966 and about 1/3 of my platoon (218) were draftees. We also had 5 recruits that were drafted out of Puerto Rico who spoke very little English. Talk about some shell-shocked dudes!
Merry Christmas, Semper Fi!:marine:

mardet65
12-24-02, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by USMC0311

Welcome Home Brother.

Semper Fidelis, Marine

I just noted your platoon number at SD. I did 318 at "R Co." PI in March of '65.
Welcome home to you also Bro!:marine:

USMC0311
12-24-02, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Jim Reynolds
To USMC0311: clarification
I was not drafted into the Marines, I was about to be drafted into the army when I enlisted. At that time (Nov. '65) the Corps had two, three, and four year enlistments. I opted for 3 years. I arrived at PI Jan.17,1966 and about 1/3 of my platoon (218) were draftees. We also had 5 recruits that were drafted out of Puerto Rico who spoke very little English. Talk about some shell-shocked dudes!
Merry Christmas, Semper Fi!:marine:

Thanks for the heads-up on your info Brother.

I have been curious as to what dates the Corps straited drafting Marines. I never realized that Marines drafted, I always thought we were strictly a volunteer service. If you could inform me as to the dates when the Draft started for Marines, I would appreciate it.
Semper Fidelis, Marine

mardet65. there was a 318 in the first series I was in ..the 321 came after I was set back after serving time in CC...all in all..the Corps mellowed me out. and made me a honorable, proud, Disciplined Person..the training and experiences I have with Marines and the Corps are the most memorable and proudest Times In My Life.

WELCOME HOME Brothers