PDA

View Full Version : Wife Of Marine Killed In Iraq Says Life Is Not Perfect

thedrifter
05-28-06, 07:51 AM
Wife Of Marine Killed In Iraq Says Life Is Not Perfect
Families Of Ohio Marines Mostly Back Bush

UPDATED: 12:58 pm EDT May 27, 2006

BROOK PARK, Ohio -- Families at a memorial Friday for Ohio Marines killed in Iraq mostly backed President George W. Bush, saying his acknowledgment that mistakes had been made in the war underscored the uncertainties of combat.

"Life is not perfect. Nothing ever goes as planned. I wanted to live the rest of my life with my husband but the Lord had other plans for me," said Pamela Montgomery, 24, widow of Lance Cpl. Brian Montgomery, 26, of Willoughby.

Montgomery responded to Bush's comments about wartime mistakes after the service at her husband's battalion headquarters with her nearly 2-year-old son Alexander. The 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, based in this Cleveland suburb, lost 48 members in Iraq before returning to the United States in September.

"You never forget that the worst can always happen," Montgomery said. "War is real, it's not TV, a movie or a video game. People should expect mistakes to happen in a war."

Bush's comments came Thursday in Washington, where he was meeting with British Prime Minister Tony Blair. Bush acknowledged the bloodshed has been difficult for the world to understand.

Bush said at the White House, "Despite setbacks and missteps, I strongly believe we did and are doing the right thing."

Kimberly Boskovitch, 19, sister of Cpl. Jeff Boskovitch, 25, of North Royalton, said she attended the memorial service to help her deal with her grieving.

"Normally I don't like to discuss politics in any way," she said afterward. "But I will say I'm 100 percent in support of the president and what he decided to do. What he says goes and I'm going to support him with it."

But Paul Schroeder, 57, of Cleveland, whose son, Lance Cpl. Edward "Augie" Schroeder II, 23, was killed in a roadside bombing, said Bush should own up to an error over how many troops were needed.

"If the president were to admit that mistake -- sending too few troops, then I would applaud that. We need a president to admit to that. That is the one chief error of this war," he said.

About 200 civilians attended Friday's ceremonies, along with members of the battalion.

Inside the battalion headquarters, the Marines dedicated a "Hall of Heroes" with six wood and glass cabinets containing mementos people left last summer at a fence after they heard about the deaths. The items include a knitted U.S. flag, numerous Teddy bears, an angel figurine, crosses and sympathy cards.

Kevin Ivy, brother of Staff Sgt. Kendall Ivy II, 29, who died last May after suffering a severe leg wound when the vehicle he was riding in struck a roadside bomb in Iraq, said by telephone Friday that Bush's comments didn't change his support of Bush and of the war.

"We are a nation at war and mistakes do happen. I don't think it's going to change the outcome as far as staying the course," said Ivy, of Galion in north-central Ohio. "If we pull out too early, then my brother and every man and woman who died in Iraq, it's been in vain."

John Prazynski, whose son, Lance Cpl. Taylor Prazynski, 20, was killed last May, said by telephone he still believes the war was needed to defend America, its freedoms and citizens after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"I believe the effort that was put forth in defense of that was certainly a good cause," said Prazynski, of Fairfield, north of Cincinnati. "If you say, 'Oh, gosh, now it's hard, let's quit,' that would make us losers."

Last year's 48 deaths among members of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines included 14 Marines killed in back-to-back attacks within a week last summer. The battalion has units in Akron and Columbus, Ohio; Moundsville, W.Va., and Buffalo, N.Y.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-28-06, 07:51 AM
Families of Ohio Marines mostly back Bush
M.R. KROPKO
Associated Press

BROOK PARK, Ohio - Families at a memorial Friday for Ohio Marines killed in Iraq mostly backed President Bush, saying his acknowledgment that mistakes had been made in the war underscored the uncertainties of combat.

"Life is not perfect. Nothing ever goes as planned. I wanted to live the rest of my life with my husband but the Lord had other plans for me," said Pamela Montgomery, 24, widow of Lance Cpl. Brian Montgomery, 26, of Willoughby.

Montgomery responded to Bush's comments about wartime mistakes after the service at her husband's battalion headquarters with her nearly 2-year-old son Alexander. The 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, based in this Cleveland suburb, lost 48 members in Iraq before returning to the United States in September.

"You never forget that the worst can always happen," Montgomery said. "War is real, it's not TV, a movie or a video game. People should expect mistakes to happen in a war."

Bush's comments came Thursday in Washington, where he was meeting with British Prime Minister Tony Blair. Bush acknowledged the bloodshed has been difficult for the world to understand.

Bush said at the White House, "Despite setbacks and missteps, I strongly believe we did and are doing the right thing."

Kimberly Boskovitch, 19, sister of Cpl. Jeff Boskovitch, 25, of North Royalton, said she attended the memorial service to help her deal with her grieving.

"Normally I don't like to discuss politics in any way," she said afterward. "But I will say I'm 100 percent in support of the president and what he decided to do. What he says goes and I'm going to support him with it."

But Paul Schroeder, 57, of Cleveland, whose son, Lance Cpl. Edward "Augie" Schroeder II, 23, was killed in a roadside bombing, said Bush should own up to an error over how many troops were needed.

"If the president were to admit that mistake - sending too few troops, then I would applaud that. We need a president to admit to that. That is the one chief error of this war," he said.

About 200 civilians attended Friday's ceremonies, along with members of the battalion.

Inside the battalion headquarters, the Marines dedicated a "Hall of Heroes" with six wood and glass cabinets containing mementos people left last summer at a fence after they heard about the deaths. The items include a knitted U.S. flag, numerous Teddy bears, an angel figurine, crosses and sympathy cards.

Kevin Ivy, brother of Staff Sgt. Kendall Ivy II, 29, who died last May after suffering a severe leg wound when the vehicle he was riding in struck a roadside bomb in Iraq, said by telephone Friday that Bush's comments didn't change his support of Bush and of the war.

"We are a nation at war and mistakes do happen. I don't think it's going to change the outcome as far as staying the course," said Ivy, of Galion in north-central Ohio. "If we pull out too early, then my brother and every man and woman who died in Iraq, it's been in vain."

John Prazynski, whose son, Lance Cpl. Taylor Prazynski, 20, was killed last May, said by telephone he still believes the war was needed to defend America, its freedoms and citizens after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"I believe the effort that was put forth in defense of that was certainly a good cause," said Prazynski, of Fairfield, north of Cincinnati. "If you say, 'Oh, gosh, now it's hard, let's quit,' that would make us losers."

Last year's 48 deaths among members of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines included 14 Marines killed in back-to-back attacks within a week last summer. The battalion has units in Akron and Columbus, Ohio; Moundsville, W.Va., and Buffalo, N.Y.

---

Associated Press writers Dan Sewell in Cincinnati, Joanne Viviano in Columbus and Thomas J. Sheeran in Cleveland contributed to this report.

ON THE NET

3/25th Marines: http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/25thmar/3dbn

Ellie