View Full Version : Hall of Heroes memorializes fallen Marines

thedrifter
05-27-06, 06:12 AM
Posted on Sat, May. 27, 2006
Hall of Heroes memorializes fallen Marines
Display preserves personal mementos left by the grieving
By Jim Carney
Beacon Journal staff writer

BROOK PARK - The ink on the love letter is streaked.

It could have been from raindrops. Perhaps teardrops.

The letter was written to Marine Cpl. Jeffrey Boskovitch and was left on the fence of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines Headquarters Unit in Brook Park after he was killed in Iraq last August.

``Oh my Jeffrey,'' it starts out.

``I will love you with all my heart always and forever.

``You truly are irreplaceable.

``I love you and I miss you.''

It's signed, ``Your girl, Shelley.''

That letter and other mementos were left by family members and strangers along a fence that surrounds the Marine facility.

The 3/25 Marines collected them in the days and weeks that followed news of dozens of deaths of members of the unit in Iraq.

By the end of the unit's seven-month deployment in Iraq, 48 Marines and sailors had been killed. That number included 15 who were assigned to Akron's Weapons Company.

On Friday, family members of the fallen gathered for a re-dedication of an outdoor memorial garden that displays the names of the 48 men.

At the same time, an indoor Hall of Heroes, displaying the things that were left along the fence, was unveiled.

The display is overwhelming.

It has the dog tags of many of the dead.

And there are stuffed animals, about 20 of them.

On one stuffed dog are the words, ``My heart is with you.''

Friends of the Marines made the display cases.

Marla Derga of Lake Township, stepmother of Marine Lance Cpl. Dustin Derga, who was killed last year, spent two days putting the items in just the right spots.

There are crosses and Bibles.

One is a child's Bible.

And there are ball caps.

One black one is marked ``U.S. Army retired.''

Another says ``Airborne.''

Someone else left a desert camouflage hat from the first Gulf War.

Another visitor left a G.I. Joe doll.

A letter from London offered condolences.

There are five unopened cans of Bud Light and one Budweiser.

More items are being kept in storage. The Marines plan to rotate items into and out of the display. The Hall of Heroes is to be a permanent exhibit.

Tim and Adriana Rock drove from Toronto, Ohio, for the dedication.

Their son, Marine Sgt. Nathaniel Rock, a 26-year-old part-time Martins Ferry policeman, died with five other snipers on Aug. 1.

He loved to be a Marine, his mother said.

She said her son joined the3/25 Reserve unit in 2004 after six years of active duty, knowing it would be deployed to Iraq.

Lt. Col. Michael Brown, inspector instructor of 3/25, spoke of the community that was so moved by the loss of so many Marines last year that it filled the fence with signs of love and appreciation.

It was humbling to see, he said.

``During our most difficult times, this community wrapped us in its arms and let us know we are not alone and we would endure this loss together,'' Brown said.

Inside the display cases are flags of all sizes.

One is inscribed with these words: ``Heartbroken by our loss.''

Another has these: ``We love you. You are always in our prayers. We will never forget you.''
Jim Carney can be reached at 330-996-3576 or jcarney@thebeaconjournal.com

Ellie

ZeJackal
05-27-06, 04:28 PM
Every time a friend is lost in battle we lose a piece of ourselves. We also carry their memory in order to deliver a positive message about their lives. If there is anything I have learned in life it is to speak to people you love as if it will be the last time you see them and never put off achieving your dreams, live life as it is your last day!
In memory of all our silent heros lost in the field.