PDA

View Full Version : A new Marine Wife, eager to learn!

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 11:17 AM
Hello,
I am a new marine wife... married to my husband for almost 6 months now. I am still trying to learn all that I can so that I can be the best wife possible. Any tips, hints, clues or advice for getting all information possible? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

CAR
05-26-06, 11:34 AM
Well welcome to the forum! And more so, welcome to the Corps. I wasn't married while I was in so I don't have first hand knowledge of the strains on the marriage, but I have seen it in a lot of young Marines.

Understanding! Marines don't have a 9-5 job. We deploy, we have long days and sometimes our "plans" get messed up. Ask anything you want here, there are lots of OLD (and I mean OLD:D ) Marines here and many new ones, so you will get the whole gammit. Lots of knowledge to be shared so by all means ask away.

Welcome and Semper Fi

BigCat1
05-26-06, 11:35 AM
The best thing that you can do for your Marine is to be there for him through whatever may come in his career. Be his biggest cheer leader...be his biggest supporter. Be loyal to him....as loyal as a puppy dog. Be prepared for him to be away from home for long periods of time and be understanding of that. It's his job. And, when he returns home, greet him as though you thought you'd never see him again. Do these simple things, and everything will be fine. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 11:56 AM
I guess the main things that we are going through right now are: he's in school to change his mos, and he should be done at the end of july... he might get transefered at that time, but we don't know... and that brings the whole moving thing into play... I am not sure about that, I mean I think he said that they will give him orders and then we go. But what about housing... I guess some of the places that he might get sent to (okinawa, yuma or cherry point) all have long waiting lists... so I'm really lost on that... I mean when they send him if we have to wait what do we do?

BigCat1
05-26-06, 12:01 PM
ok...1st things first...What is the rank of your Marine? That will play a big part in moving and whether you'll even be able to go or not if he goes to Okinawa....I know there seems to be quite a bit in question right now, but when a Marine is in school to change his MOS, there are lots of unanswered questions as to where they will be stationed. I know you're really sweating this right now, but don't. It will all work out...He'll get his orders and should be able to find out exactly what the Corps will and will not move for him. If you would like my e-mail address to continue asking your questions, I'd be glad to give it to you as I am not on this site on a daily basis.

GySgtRet
05-26-06, 12:06 PM
Welcome to Leatherneck. And Welcome to the Marine Corps family. I would advise if you are going to a CONUS duty station after your Marine gets his MOS then register with the housing office. And get on the housing list immediatley. Also, while there ask for offbase referral listings. Hopefully the unit that your Marine checks into will have a Command sponsership program to help you both. If you are going (OCONUS) out of the contenental US then things will be different for sure. Basically the same but a lot farther from the states. If you do go OCONUS then he will be there for about three years if he is on a command sponsored tour. If not then he is going to have orders as unaccompanied orders which means that his family is not recommended by the command to be there and that if he chooses to have his family that will be at his expense and the government will not provide housing and in some of the cases I have heard that the dependents do not have Commisary and PX privelages either. This tour would be for 24 months from what I understand. Things do change however.

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 12:11 PM
He just picked up Cpl in March.

I guess that means that I am going to want to stay CONUS... lol

CAR
05-26-06, 12:54 PM
Usually if there is a wait for base housing then you can either a) remain where you are until housing opens or b) find off base housing. Depending on the area you go to, Off-base can be expensive and housing allowance doesn't always cover the majority. Just food for thought, don't get worried. A lot depends on his orders. As stated above, he could be sent overseas on an unacompanied tour. If he is sent stateside then obviously you get to go. Sounds like you have at least an idea of where he may be sent. Start checking those area for housing. Get off base list from housing and just make some calls to get an idea. Don't commit to anything until orders are in hand but check your options.

May as well learn the acronyms : 6P's = PPP PPP
Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance:banana:

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 12:58 PM
That's a good one... Ok so should I call the housing offices at the bases, since most of them don't really have information on their websites...

ringoffire
05-26-06, 02:55 PM
Welcome to Leatherneck....

You got a lot of good advice. I'd add a couple of things. You have to be flexible...Semper Gumby. When your Marine gets his orders, make a few copies for yourself. If you are separated for any reason, get a Power of Attorney. Your husband would have to check with legal office to get that done. Also if you are at different places, like he's at the duty station and you're not yet, always carry a copy of his orders and a copy of the POA.
Don't worry about the moving, alot of it is trial and error. I do have a few tips on that when you get to that point.
You can email or PM me, too.

GySgtRet-regarding the unaccompanied tours, you are right, they are now 2yrs. That's a long time.

GySgtRet
05-26-06, 03:18 PM
As you posted above Yuma is a chance for the duty station. I am not sure where you are located in Ca. Of course this would be the logical choice for the duty assignment. Remember it is where the Marine Corps needs his billet and expertise that will determine where he goes. Cherry Point wouldn't be too far from Ringoffire she is located about 50 miles south of Cherry Point at Ccamp LeJune, Jacksonville North Carolina, that is in Onslow County. Here is the link for Cherry Point http://www.cherrypoint.usmc.mil/Housing/Housing.asp

Yuma doesn't provide much but it is a start http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/tenantcommands/installationslogistics/housing.htm

Here is the Okinawa link. I would advise calling the DSN number you should be able to get a government phone to call this number http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Newcomer%20Info/Lodging%20Page.html

If you do go to Okinawa be prepared to enjoy it I went there three times. It took me about a week to adjust after that well, I just loved the place.

Good luck and don't forget to ask anybody here.

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 07:37 PM
We are in southern california nright now... he is currently @ 29 palms... but he knows for sure that he wants to do anything that he can to get out of there because he spent the last 3 1/2 years there...

Thank you everyone for helping me out!!!! It's really good to know that there are people here who can and are willing to help. It is making this whole transition a lot easier

ringoffire
05-26-06, 07:39 PM
Whats his new MOS?

We almost went to Yuma...but we're here in @ Camp Lejuene. We live off base.

AMARINELOVESME
05-26-06, 08:22 PM
he's in a sub-division of air traffic control.

is it nice out there?

GySgtRet
05-26-06, 08:26 PM
I spent the weekend at Yuma in the 70s. I seemed to be flat and dry. As apposed to humid as it is in North Carolina and Okinawa.

I hope this answers your questions.

ringoffire
05-26-06, 08:36 PM
Very humid here in NC, but I like it. Like most places you will go, you make it what it is. If you have a good positive attitude you'll be fine wherever you go.

So is he going to be an Air Traffic controller? Sorry if this sound like a dumb question, I'm just not familiar with "Air" side of things. So if anyone can clue me in, please do.

AMARINELOVESME
05-27-06, 01:41 PM
I think that is what he said that he was going to be doing... when he signed up to change his mos this was one of the better fields that he could go into.